TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2018, 11:47:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bargain Bin  (Read 296950 times)
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #1520 on: November 13, 2018, 11:25:59 PM »

And still the denial stage.... Smiley. That NME rag really did a job on you didn't it? Let your soul ascend to the Heavens with the music of the Inner Being and the lyrical claptrap of Universal Oneness. It's good fer ya.

On the other hand, I've been listening to Never Mind The Byoolix for the first time since it came out - a two for £3 deal thing with the Essential Bob Dylan (bought to get Positively 4th Street on CD). The Dylan is fab, but the Pistols is still..meh!

Now this provokes all sorts of reactions in me. NMTB still cintains some of the most viscerally exciting music I have ever heard. After more than 40 years it still stirs me. But Yes? I have tried. I really have tried. It is not even as if I don't like prog. I really do. I will listen to ELP without embarrassment but apart from the one album that I love (Going For The One), there are just too many shades of preposterous in the Yes palette for me.

I actually was a Yes fan when I was a teenager though, so it is a nostalgia thing.

I liked the first three Sex Pistols singles, but after that I came to view them as a cartoon band, and so I was already losing interest by the time the LP came out.  I've never been moved to revisit.  Much prefer The Stranglers, Television, Buzzcocks, The Clash and others.

As far as ELP goes though - absolutely no way.

Jules

Not even Brain Salad Surgery ... surely
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1521 on: November 14, 2018, 06:40:58 AM »

I don't get the attraction of ELP at all.  It's all bombast to these ears.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1522 on: November 14, 2018, 09:45:50 AM »

Completely. But sometimes bombast is fun.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1523 on: November 14, 2018, 10:34:10 AM »

Same.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1524 on: November 14, 2018, 10:34:13 AM »

Yes Box Set - their first 12 studio albums - £42.42. Mr Bridgwit can "put it by" for Crimbo

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy

Less than £4  per LP. VAlue. Unfortunately it's just  too much Yes for me. I have them up to Going For the One, and that's enough.  Cool
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1525 on: November 14, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »

Less than £4  per LP. VAlue. Unfortunately it's just  too much Yes for me. I have them up to Going For the One, and that's enough.  Cool

Indeed, you'd have to be very dedicated to venture any further than that.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #1526 on: November 14, 2018, 10:59:31 AM »

Jules

Weirdly, the one other album I would like to hear (and never have) is the one with Trevor Horn (Drama?) and maybe also the one with Owner of a Lonely Heart on but I guess that depends on one's tolerance for Horn's production style.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #1527 on: November 14, 2018, 12:27:45 PM »

Absolutely.  Who doesn't like their version of Pictures at an Exhibition?!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #1528 on: November 14, 2018, 01:35:53 PM »

I love all things ELP. I don't care that others don't get it, I do and I love it and still listen to them almost weekly.

My school friend Val and I went to see Yes in 1974(?). We were the only girls in a sea of trench coats and spotty oiks with long hair. I loved every minute  Grin  I watched spellbound as Patrick Moraz played about 8 keyboards simultaneously and Alan White played a drum kit as big as a house, or at least a bungalow.  I can seriously chill out to Yes and I can't wait to have 12 albums to play back to back  Tongue  

Long Live Prog!!!   Cool

Wham Bam Thank You Ma'am!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #1529 on: November 14, 2018, 01:39:40 PM »

I love all things ELP. I don't care that others don't get it, I do and I love it and still listen to them almost weekly.

My school friend Val and I went to see Yes in 1974(?). We were the only girls in a sea of trench coats and spotty oiks with long hair. I loved every minute  Grin  I watched spellbound as Patrick Moraz played about 8 keyboards simultaneously and Alan White played a drum kit as big as a house, or at least a bungalow.  I can seriously chill out to Yes and I can't wait to have 12 albums to play back to back  Tongue  

Long Live Prog!!!   Cool

The only reason they had loads of keyboards is because the mellotrons had a habit of going out of tune!! Its not a symbol of musical prowess!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1530 on: November 14, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »

Long Live Prog!!!   Cool

The only reason they had loads of keyboards is because the mellotrons had a habit of going out of tune!! Its not a symbol of musical prowess!
I've always been impressed by size Nick Reg! I'm shallow like that....  Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1531 on: November 14, 2018, 04:31:46 PM »

Bridge is right.  Size is important.  Remember that the next time you are in the presence of a large swelling organ.

Jules

StephenB
something about the grinding beat

Loc: Blackpudlian exiled in Ireland

Some boy to be one boy - I should have been twins

« Reply #1532 on: November 14, 2018, 05:02:46 PM »

I think my prog memories fall into two camps: those I remember and occasionally play back wiith fondness as part of the soundtrack to my youth, while occasionally tittering to myself at the wonderful pomposity of it all
ELP, Yes, PFM

And those who I still play today as part of a true timeless musical appreciation:
Genesis up to +inc Trick of the Tail, Fruupp, Camel, Caravan (well, kind of crossover prog).

If I could be any animal I wanted...
there'd be something really heavy going on.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1533 on: November 14, 2018, 07:36:32 PM »

That would be me, I'm afraid.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1534 on: November 15, 2018, 08:52:08 AM »

That would be me, I'm afraid.
That's you off my Christmas card list then!  Angry

Bridge is right.  Size is important.  Remember that the next time you are in the presence of a large swelling organ.

Jules
   Tongue  Tongue

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1535 on: November 15, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »

Pictures of an exhibition :starts off well, goes right off the rails into pointless noise territory until it rediscovers a tune right at the end and hopes everybody will forget all the cr@p by finishing off with nutrocker.
  Not a hugely loveable lp.

The Dude abides
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1536 on: November 15, 2018, 12:21:35 PM »

Jules

Actually, contradicting myself, I recall now I have Drama, which isn't such a bad album.  If it weren't by Yes, people would like it more. It's to do with the absence of Jon Anderson, perhaps.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1537 on: November 15, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »

Jules

Actually, contradicting myself, I recall now I have Drama, which isn't such a bad album.  If it weren't by Yes, people would like it more. It's to do with the absence of Jon Anderson, perhaps.
I don't see the point of Yes without the divine Mr Anderson. A bit like a blunt pencil......   Shocked

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1538 on: November 15, 2018, 01:57:45 PM »

I don't see the point of Yes without the divine Mr Anderson. A bit like a blunt pencil......   Shocked

Seconded.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1539 on: November 15, 2018, 03:42:11 PM »

Thirded, I guess.

I have all the Yes stuff prior to Drama, but it doesn't sound right without Jon. I did once have an online 'discussion' with someone who was getting a bit heated insisting that if Chris Squire was in it, it was Yes, and he defined the band's sound not Jon. I wonder what he thinks now. Trevor Horn struggled to sound like Jon, and left after one album because of it.
It's a bit weird that Jon parted ways with Yes most recently, when he suffered acute respiratory failure and they decided to tour without him and replaced him with a Yes tribute band vocalist called Benoit David...obviously a Jon-sound-a-like. But then they replaced him when he contracted a respiratory illness (a tribute too far ?), with a lookylikeysoundalikey called.....Jon Davison.
90125 is great, but isn't the usual Yes style and was only called Yes because of the familiar record company insistence.
ELP ? Bombastic is their middle name.
Well it's not...it's Lake obviously, but Fanfare was the first single I ever bought with my own 50p coin so I have a soft spot for them.
Funnily enough, it's nostalgia that has made me listen to all that punk stuff....I tend not to buy contemporary music, I'm always trying to catch up on what has gone before, and I always heard what was current on the radio or TV so I didn't HAVE to buy it - back then, the first act on TOTP tended to be a rock or punk act, and I loved it.
As for NMTB - one thing with it, is it's too well produced for me...loads of big guitar chords, well recorded and precise...where The Damned....always my faves.....sounded like they were about to explode any minute, much rawer and, well... punk.

Well I never did..
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: