TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
December 11, 2018, 11:48:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Tour, New CD & Cropredy

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bargain Bin  (Read 296951 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: July 31, 2011, 11:50:49 AM »

3 CD set collecting together the four albums recorded for Epic by Kaleidoscope (that's the US band with David Lindley, not the UK band) for
a mere £5.99:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulsating-Dreams-Complete-Epic-Recordings/dp/B0037TPHWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312109158&sr=1-1

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:02:33 PM »

Oooh....I'm getting this! Had my eye on it for ages. Thanks Jules!  Grin

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 12:34:07 PM »

Oooh....I'm getting this! Had my eye on it for ages. Thanks Jules!  Grin

My pleasure (needless to say, I grabbed one too.)

Jules

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: near Aldbrickham, in the Royal County

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »

Picked up Action Packed by RT and Poor Man's Heaven by Seth Lakeman for £3 each at Guildford's HMV a week or so ago.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 10:49:09 AM »

3 CD set collecting together the four albums recorded for Epic by Kaleidoscope (that's the US band with David Lindley, not the UK band) for
a mere £5.99:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pulsating-Dreams-Complete-Epic-Recordings/dp/B0037TPHWW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1312109158&sr=1-1

Jules

Great price Jules. I had the first 2 albums on vinyl, but still splashed out around £10, about a year ago for this set.

No Left Turn Unstoned
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:45:31 AM »

The Dead - Rocking the Cradle (live in Egypt) 2CD + DVD, £9.99 (reduced from £19.99), from Badlands in Cheltenham last Saturday; they've a 50% off sale section at the moment.  Quite a wide selection, too.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:07:54 PM »

A lot of the Free Reed box sets (Fairport unConventional, Burning Bright, The Transports etc) seem to be going for £20 on their website. Works out at £5 each for the CDs and a free 13something page book!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 03:17:45 PM »

A lot of the Free Reed box sets (Fairport unConventional, Burning Bright, The Transports etc) seem to be going for £20 on their website. Works out at £5 each for the CDs and a free 13something page book!

Ooh thanks for that Ollie. Have been considering Burning Bright for a while. Any views on whether it is worthwhile?
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:37:45 PM »

Ooh thanks for that Ollie. Have been considering Burning Bright for a while. Any views on whether it is worthwhile?

Haven't really had a chance to listen to it much yet, but the book seems very good.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:13:48 PM »

I found 10,000 Maniacs - Campfire Songs in a charity shop today for £2.  Its a bit tatty, but plays perfectly.  I'd been after it for a while, but never saw it going cheaply anywhere.  Obviously its the second disc that I wanted. So many excellent cover versions.

No Left Turn Unstoned
DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 11:10:55 PM »

Mutton Birds - that shows excellent taste.

What an underrated band they were. Lead singer Don McGlashan still putting out superb music. Either of his solo CDs are superb, but not easy to find (or cheap) in the UK.

One year, back in the days when us punters were able to suggest and vote for Cropredy interval music, I succeeded in getting the MB's White Valiant played at Cropredy, and told Don, who was dead chuffed, as I was when I heard it coming over the PA..

Anyone investigating the Mutton Birds should check out the tracks White Valiant, A Thing Well Made, and Envy Of Angels. Awesome and rewarding music.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 04:05:59 PM »

Haven't really had a chance to listen to it much yet, but the book seems very good.

Even better. Picked it up in the CD tent at Cropredy for £20 which saved on the P&P.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »

It's a mixed bag, Gub, as all Free Reed sets are.  Trouble with the Ashley one for me is that there's too much from his later, less inspired years and not enough from his first decade or so.  Plus it's all jumbled up chronologically, so it doesn't flow right for me.  If you do get it, try and hunt down a copy of the bonus disc (probably my favourite disc of the set).

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 06:22:25 PM »

As mentioned above, I picked up a copy at Cropredy and have given it one listen so far. I agree that th theming and sequencing of the discs are a bit of a nonsense but it sounds like one of the better Free Read releases to my ears in as far as there is very liitle bootleg quality material and only half a dozen tracks that whose inclusion I would argue with.

I bought it mainly to get a sample of areas of Ashley's work that I am less familiar with to see what I might want to investigate in greater detail and have added at least 3 albums to my wanted list as a result.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »

As mentioned above, I picked up a copy at Cropredy and have given it one listen so far.

Ah yes, managed to miss your second post on the subject!

I agree that the sound quality is above par....it's just that I think there should have been a greater emphasis on his golden age (circa 1967-80).

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 06:43:53 PM »

I suspect that is down to whatever Free Reed were able or could afford to license from that period. Perhaps the "unofficial" recordings were limited or of poor sound quality. I must admit though to a fondness for the All Stars/Dance Band/Albion Band output from the late 80s to the early 90s which is well represented.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

Raghu Dixit - The Fire Within - £5

A most attractive "hybrid" of Indian melodies (and lyrics) and folk-rock.  Good live, too - I think he'd be good on a sunny afternoon at Cropredy.

Said the straight man, to the late man...
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

Omnia ti bi felicia

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 12:42:18 PM »

Raghu Dixit - The Fire Within - £5

A most attractive "hybrid" of Indian melodies (and lyrics) and folk-rock.  Good live, too - I think he'd be good on a sunny afternoon at Cropredy.

Heard some of this on Radio 4 a while back, thought it was rather good & then promptly forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder, any more available?

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »

Tubular Bells for 20p at the local charidee shop.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 05:05:59 PM »

Nick Drake's 'Five leaves left' - remastered - for £1.99 at Play.com

http://www.play.com/Music/CD/4-/152840/Five-Leaves-Left/Product.html?searchtype=allproducts&searchSource=1&searchfilters=ae50{Nick%20Drake}+&urlrefer=search

Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: