TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2021, 01:44:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BBC Folk Awards  (Read 27468 times)
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2011, 11:50:38 PM »

Does Thea Gilmore have to wait until next year - or has Don't Stop Singing been scandalously overlooked?

And doesn't Laura Marling count as folk? Best singer, best song, best album, best live act, etc etc.

Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

No longer a virgin

« Reply #81 on: November 24, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »

Very interesting read

http://mikeharding.blogspot.com/
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2011, 04:36:55 PM »

Really interesting ,cogent, argument. Thanks Ian
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2011, 04:39:33 PM »

Very interesting, the steam from Mike Hardings ears was coming through my computer.  Cheesy  I can understand him getting fed up.

JeremyRS
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2011, 04:43:45 PM »

Good points, well made.  Hard to disagree with any of that.

Not so skinny, maybe not so free
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2011, 04:58:09 PM »

He does seem to want to draw a line under the whole affair, and has put forward a response that's hard to disagree with...
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2011, 06:38:23 PM »

He's (rightly) mightily pissed off at the personal attacks on his integrity and that of the Judges.

The complaints seem to break down into 2 categories

1) We don't like who has been nominated
2) We want to know who the Judges are

....and, whilst the spoken corollary to (2) is that any bias can be rooted out,  the UNspoken corollary to (2) is "so that we can lobby them and change (1)".

I think it should all be left to die down a bit, there's no rational discussion going on now, maybe a gentle discussion can be had once the Awards have been held and some tweaks made, until then ratcheting up the emotions just won't help.

All IMHO, of course.

And if the cloud bursts thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2011, 07:08:10 PM »

Seems to me this argument is the same old story of all music awards, whether it be the Grammys, Mercury prize, Brit Awards, Polaris, Classic Rock etc etc.  Same old story as to "why has X been nominated instead of Y" and so on.  

If I were Mike Harding I would think seriously about cancelling the awards altogether if they generate such ill feeling and ludicrous accusations.  The fact that say Bellowhead have been nominated and may win does not make me like them or dislike them any more or less.

Thank Drunk I'm God
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2011, 07:38:03 PM »

Hm - The main article is good and cogent, but the response to the other mail is a bit off.

'Trust the BBC, its all fair, honest' is not much of an argument.

Anyone who thinks it is - want to play cards for money?

Wink

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #89 on: November 24, 2011, 08:57:52 PM »

My sympathy and support is firmly with Mike Harding in this debate, it's very easy for outsiders to throw mud, in the knowledge some will stick.  
For me it would make no difference if the 170 or so judges involved with the BBC2FA was named by the Beeb, I would suggest that collectively so few would be known to me, I would remain no wiser.
It's been suggested an alternative might be a public vote but surely that system would be more open to corruption, which is what Folkcast profess to be attempting to protect BBC listeners from. This system would enable an agent, band or individual to lobby folk to vote in their favour, just as Folkcast themselves are doing on their website, modestly informing visitors they are the UK's premier folk podcasters, as they attemp to win a Euro podcast award.
Don't get me wrong, the pre Cropredy podcasts were fun and I enjoyed listening to them but before FC's website brought Folkcast to my attention, I'd not previously heard of our premier folk podcasters. Of course it's wholly possible, people who actively support gigs, don't in the general course of events, source music news from podcasts

I'm genuinely saddened by this attack, Mike has always struck me as a genuine guy who has always done his best for folkies and folk music, he is deserving of better.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:13:41 PM by martin driver » Logged
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Local Moderator

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #90 on: November 24, 2011, 09:49:07 PM »

I'm with you Martin.  The way the spat has been carrying on over the internet has left a sour taste in my mouth.  I've always found folkies to be a friendly bunch, and this has upset me a lot.  However the winners are decided, I'm looking forward to a jolly good night out at the Lowry (even if Bellowhead won't be there as they'll be on their European tour)

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #91 on: November 24, 2011, 09:54:52 PM »

Hm - The main article is good and cogent, but the response to the other mail is a bit off.

'Trust the BBC, its all fair, honest' is not much of an argument.

Anyone who thinks it is - want to play cards for money?

Wink

If ever you had run a BBC competition or awards scheme (which I have) you would know that the BBC compliance procedure is absolutely throrough and scrupulous. It takes hours, often weeks of work to ensure everything is complied properly and all is fair. I'm absolutely with Mike Harding on this one - I know what he's going through - and I think the complaints are just fatuous, as well as being potentially damaging to the image of folk music.

I don't agree with all the nominations and I think good work has been overlooked, but that's true of any awards  - the Booker, the Oscars, the Mercury, the Emmys etc etc.

In this case, Sir Martin, I do trust the BBC to be fair. And every word of Martin Driver's comment above is spot-on.
Nigel Spencer

Loc: Manchester 21

« Reply #92 on: November 24, 2011, 10:04:18 PM »

I'm genuinely saddened by this attack, Mike has always struck me as a genuine guy who has always done his best for folkies and folk music, he is deserving of better.

Spot on, Martin. I've been following this on Twitter and I think it's all got a bit silly. Mike's blog posts on all this are well worth reading and will hopefully draw a line under it. But basically I think its simply the case that beyond the usual annual low level grumbling, two or three people have got a bit carried away and got this whole thing totally out of proportion.

In any case, surely the problem is not Mike's hour of folk music on national radio and the awards linked to it, but the fact that there is only an hour of folk on national radio (though I'm listening to Gideon Coe as I type - he always manages to slip a few folktastic tracks in - yay! Though he's playing the classic Waterloo Lily by Caravan right now...).

Twisted trad with fuzz 'n' feedback... is it too much to ask for?
garrypbrooks

« Reply #93 on: November 25, 2011, 11:16:14 AM »

Very interesting, the steam from Mike Hardings ears was coming through my computer.  Cheesy  I can understand him getting fed up.

..and a reply
http://folkcasters.blogspot.com/

I think both sides have made some valid points  but I agree it's time to cease any further correspondence on the issue with BBC/MH/Smooth Ops until well after the next Folk Awards ceremony and let old Mike chill out with a few well-deserved pints of Boddingtons Smiley
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »

So, anyway. As I was saying. . .

Does Thea Gilmore have to wait until next year - or has Don't Stop Singing been scandalously overlooked?

And doesn't Laura Marling count as folk? Best singer, best song, best album, best live act, etc etc.

garrypbrooks

« Reply #95 on: December 01, 2011, 06:01:55 PM »

No idea when the cut-of date for the BBC Folk Awards is, but the Hancocks are coming up soon, will the Thea / Sandy album or John Westley Harding get a shout? I rather think Huh one of them might. Smiley

Excuse my ignorance, but who has suggested that Laura Marling isn't a folk singer?   Huh
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #96 on: December 04, 2011, 01:10:10 AM »

Excuse my ignorance, but who has suggested that Laura Marling isn't a folk singer?   Huh

My point was that assuming she qualifies as "folk" how come she is not nominated for best album, original song and singer?
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #97 on: December 04, 2011, 01:34:28 AM »

My point was that assuming she qualifies as "folk" how come she is not nominated for best album, original song and singer?

I'm not sure she does. Besides, she's rather too mainstream for the Folk Awards, having won a Brit Award, no?

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Snodin

« Reply #98 on: December 04, 2011, 11:29:09 PM »

Re Laura Marling, I imagine it's nothing more than she didn't emerge in the top names when the votes were counted in the first round, in each of the categories she could have been considered for. The judges presumably considered there were better original songs, better trad songs, better singers, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: