TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2021, 11:58:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Martin Barre in Classic Rock Revisited  (Read 5299 times)
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« on: November 24, 2011, 11:54:16 AM »

Martin gives readers an insight regarding his plans for 2012 as speculation grows around the future of JT following IA's decision to tour the 40th anniversary of TAAB as a side project rather than a full on JT show.
http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/interviewmartinbarre2011.htm
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »

That sounds pretty final, I'd say.  They were a great band onceuponatime (but not for a long long time imho)....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 06:17:47 PM »

That is a fascinating insight into things.
Tull were my favourite band from 1973 when I first heard them right up untill IA sacked them all, or nearly all, in 1979.
I did try after, I really did, but it wasn't the same and in the last ten years it's been frankly diabolical, and I wouldn't go and see them again, unfortunately.
However what Martin is planning to do sounds much more up my street. I wonder who it's going to be, can I start the rumour mill by suggesting that Peggy might be involved? Wink

greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »

Won't go to see Tull without Martin Barre. Simples

Which is a pity as TAAB is one of my favourite albums and would have loved to have seen it live in its entirety.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 09:35:49 PM »

I think that Martin's band playing acoustic Tull could be really special. Any thoughts on a vocalist?
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42:28 PM »

Which is a pity as TAAB is one of my favourite albums and would have loved to have seen it live in its entirety.

It's not Tull. It's Ian Anderson solo, and it never has been a Tull Tour.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »

I think that Martin's band playing acoustic Tull could be really special. Any thoughts on a vocalist?

Form reading that article, I think O would much rather go and see Martins interpretation of the materiel. Sadly Ians voice has been shot for some time now - he should rest on his laurels whilst he still has some.

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

No longer a virgin

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 02:58:43 PM »

I've seen Tull live about 12 times and have always enjoyed them. But after reading that I would much prefer to see Martin Barre's band at Cropredy than Ian Anderson's.
And I get the feeling that there's a bit of a rift between them. Martin seems to be saying that he's going to play Tull music, no matter what Ian says.
Perhaps i'm reading too much into it  Huh
garrypbrooks

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:56:46 PM »

A rift between Ian Anderson and an ex-Tull man? Shock, horror, I don't believe it! Cheesy
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:15:43 PM »

It's not Tull. It's Ian Anderson solo, and it never has been a Tull Tour.

Appreciate that - the last few times I've seen 'em it's been the Ian and Martin show - and arguably the two (three?) distinguishing features of audio Tull are Anderson's voice / flute and barre's guitar playing - what I meant was I'd rather miss my fave Tull album being played live if played by another guitar player than Martin Barre.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 07:43:34 PM »

Ian Anderson seems to be getting portrayed as some sort of villain - but let's not forget that he's pretty much the only songwriter in Tull and has, for decades, been running the band and keeping as a going concern.

He's also dropped a lot of hints over the years regarding the name "Jethro Tull" (He hates it, and has even said he thinks the Ian Anderson Band would have been a better name!) and a few years back posted a comment on the website that he was winding down Tull activity to do different things. He's done orchestral tours, concerts with other musicians and seems quite happy to let Tull slip into history.

The last time I saw Tull was two years ago and they were excellent despite Ian's voice, which was mainly fine, but he struggled on the rockier numbers and Songs from the Wood was clearly a struggle. Martin and Ian were both on fine form, playing against each other.

He's also commented that he prefers doing the acoustic based material as well these days, and is most definitely not a fan of rowdy rock audiences (The gig I saw him at had a wonderful put down to someone who kept yelling out. 'This is symphony hall, not a football ground.').

I've not heard Ian Anderson deny Martin Barre the right to play Tull material...

I'm going to the Ian Anderson tour next year... Thick As A Brick is one my favourite albums. Yes, I'll find it odd after 20+ Tull concerts to not see Martin Barre up there, but it's always been Ian's show...

Ian has always said without Martin there's no Jethro Tull... Now he's touring without Martin under his name.

I have all of Martin's solo albums, and I have to admit I find them very underwhelming. I doubt I'd go and see Martin doing his own material, but if he's doing Tull, I'd probably be interested.

I like all Tull's albums. Even Under Wraps. They were never a band to churn out the same old stuff every album, and every one is differnt. Some more different than others, but that's I like about 'em.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 10:11:22 AM »

Here´s another interview:

http://www.kinston.com/articles/jethro-78234-tull-barre.html
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2011, 07:36:54 PM »

At least they are both still playing and performing.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: