TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 19, 2021, 01:20:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jackie Leven  (Read 6913 times)
neil fatea

Loc: Poole, Dorset

Static Electricity Why?

« on: November 14, 2011, 07:53:09 PM »

I've literally just heard that former Doll By Doll front man and exceptional singer songwriter Jackie Leven is gravely ill with cancer.
His ability to capture the moment in his songs, even when going through extremely tough periods in his life always mesmerised. A master of between song banter as well as the songs themselves lead to incredible gigs.
With 400 songs behind him, he is one of the greatest songwriters these islands have produced and a totally unique performer. It's with a heavy heart I pass on the news, hoping for the best, expecting the worst.

May the sun always shine on your head and the shadow ne'er enter your days
http://www.fatea-magazine.co.uk
http://www.fatea-showcase-sessions.co.uk
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 08:00:02 PM »

That's awful news. We were lucky enough to share a stage with Jackie, lovely bloke, great singer. Fingers crossed he makes a recovery.

Loving it
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 08:00:27 PM »

Yes, I too have heard that he's not expected to recover.  I know a couple of hardcore Leven fans and they're devastated by the news.   Sad

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 08:03:19 PM »

Bollox.  I didn't realise that.  His website goes as far as saying he only has days to live...  Sad

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »

Dan O & I had the pleasure of his playing over the August bank holiday. He had then list several stones in weight & we thought he wasn't well. But he turned in a great couple of gigs, and was far from complaining....

Hope you pull through Jackie!.....

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 11:29:25 PM »

A lovely man. My eldest played support to him a few years ago and he watched all the way through and commented very kindly on the songs. Our thoughts are with you.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 01:47:24 AM »

Very sad and bitter news...I can only wish Jackie the very best !!!  
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2011, 12:04:57 PM »

He's gone.   Sad

Jules

Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2011, 12:06:20 PM »

Indeed, from his PR Company.....

Jackie Leven June 18th 1950 – 14th November 2011

The great Scottish singer and song writer Jackie Leven passed away on Monday, 14th November, at 8 o'clock in the evening. He had suffered from cancer.

"There are spiritual story tellers and there are soulful story tellers. I hope to be a soulful story teller. I see the two kinds as two different directions. Spiritual is ascending. Sky, God and all that. I hope my story telling is going down into the earth, is wetter, has more moisture." Jackie Leven

RIP, Jackie - thanks for the songs!

Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »

That's a real shame. RIP Jackie.

Loving it
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 02:57:27 PM »

Very sad news, I feel privileged to have met Jackie and shared the stage with him on a couple of occasions. A few personal snapshots for you - miking up his foot at The RMA Tavern in Southsea so he could accompany himself, plugging into an ancient DI box that he acquired from a roadie in exchange for a bottle of Buckfast wine, audiences being delighted, enthralled and shocked by the scurrilous nature of some of his onstage yarns, playing great shows in the round with Andy White and Michael Weston King, learning the Oasis song "Little By Little" so that his postman could perform a number with him, standing under an umbrella at Cropredy in the pouring rain watching him play a cracking version of his own "Classic Northern Diversions", his generous compliments, his superb and unique guitar style, his huge voice and big heart...RIP Jackie, we'll miss you !
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2011, 05:18:06 PM »

That was a loving tribute, Dan.  Thanks for that.

Jules

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2011, 05:19:14 PM »

Terribly sad news.
RIP Jackie.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Chris
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

Dan's also found an excellent appreciation online that he's tweeted - post it here too!

Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »

Just read on facebook that Jackie Leven has died.  Sad

Not quite a celebrity, but I saw him live two or three times in recent years.
Dan O.
I was the face of 2001
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 05:45:57 PM »

Dan's also found an excellent appreciation online that he's tweeted - post it here too!

Here you are, good and straightforward :
http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/jackie-leven-1950-2011
Dubskiffler (keith)

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »

It's always saddening to hear of the passing of an artist who has provided something special or magical.
I'm no expert, but Jackie Leven was a remarkable performer - I've seen him, just solo, him, his acoustic guitar and his incredibly elaborate tales which he used to introduce or conclude all of his songs. He's clearly lived an eventful life. And he also clearly had an a vivid imagination - when listening to his stories, you did begin to wonder if what he was saying was at all true. A harsh Scot, but obviously with a warm heart. And he didn't suffer fools.

So many really great albums too - I really like the combination of song and poetry particularly on Shining Brother, Shining Sister and Lovers at the Gun Club (both pretty recent). I also love the compilation I picked up from him - The Wanderer...    

The more you learn, the more you learn there is to learn...
neil fatea

Loc: Poole, Dorset

Static Electricity Why?

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

Like many on this list I was lucky enough to have met Jackie Leven, in his younger days he frequented a number of the pubs just down the road from me. He was a remarkable songwriter and his songs were full of remarkable honesty. His battle with drinks and drugs have been well documeted, but what is really amazing was that even during the worst of his personal nightmares, he still found time to document it in the hundreds of songs he wrote.
We all have our favourite Jackie Leven song, but the thing we all have in common is that we have been touched by his material, we related to a bit of him reflected in us. He was a man that wasn't ashamed to admit his flaws he has songs about times when he'd rather have rather done the right thing, but did what many of us would have done and walked on by. He had songs about when he did the right thing and paid a price for it and songs simply about life.
Off the back of his own addictions he co-founded the CORE trust an organisation still providing holistic care to addicts, saving and improving the quality of life. Likewise with his music, the times I went to his gigs, I never once saw him miss the support act.
Jackie was a prolific writer, which lead to one of my favourite quotes concerns how Jackie's alter-ego Sir Vincent Lone came to life.

"Some years ago I noticed that I was writing a lot more songs than I was ever going to record and get released, especially in these times where you can only release one studio album every eighteen months. As I am a writer of genius, this began to worry me more and more. So I went to see my Cooking Vinyl boss, Martin Goldschmidt, to ask him if I could make more records. He said no. I said to him 'look, The Beatles once released four albums in one year, and nobody said to them, hey that's too many records in one year'. Martin said 'Jackie, this is not 1967 and you are not The Beatles'. We talked some more and we agreed that I could make records under a different name - that name is Sir Vincent Lone."

Jackie may not have been the Beatles, but he was one heck of a talent when it came to writing songs, prolific and gifted is a rare mix and one that will be missed.

May the sun always shine on your head and the shadow ne'er enter your days
http://www.fatea-magazine.co.uk
http://www.fatea-showcase-sessions.co.uk
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 11:34:46 PM »

This is indeed bad news . Folk Music has parted company with another
who wrote his songs as he saw and lived.

I was privelidged to see and meet Jackie in Nottinghamshire. Not one to
suffer fools and hangers on . He could tell you just where to get off in no
uncertain terms.

Another attains ledge status

DaveP

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Shropshire

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »

Denselow in the Grauniad...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/nov/15/jackie-leven

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: