TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 04, 2024, 12:00:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thea Gilmore album of Sandy songs  (Read 70630 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2011, 08:56:06 AM »

There is a short interview in the new The Word magazine (the one with Noel Gallagher on the cover) wherein Thea Gilmore explains the process behind writing these songs and how she came to be doing it. Included is the interesting snippet that she is not taking any money for having done so.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »

R4's Today programme just had a feature on this at about 8.30-8.45. Thea and Bob Harris (who flatshared with Sandy in the 60s apparently) were both interviewed. I expect it will be on Listen Again.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2011, 10:07:20 AM »

R4's Today programme just had a feature on this at about 8.30-8.45. Thea and Bob Harris (who flatshared with Sandy in the 60s apparently) were both interviewed. I expect it will be on Listen Again.

For now at least, you can find that interview here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9612000/9612498.stm

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Tom Barham
n3wb

Loc: Ruthin

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:54 PM »

Very moving.  I love Thea's approach to this and look forward to hearing more.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2011, 03:23:59 PM »

Despite thinking I wouldn't at all...I'm really looking forward to the project.

Oh, I really hate the term 'passed away'.  When did 'died' become unsayable?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2011, 03:25:04 PM »

Quite agree, David!

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 03:54:59 PM »

Slightly off topic but did you see Stephen Fry's Planet Word on Sunday night? It was in part about precisely that point.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

Slightly off topic but did you see Stephen Fry's Planet Word on Sunday night? It was in part about precisely that point.

Indeed I did, and fascinating it was...but I thought they completely bottled it, and lost all credibility for their arguments by talking about the 'n-word'.  Made themselves look ridiculous.  Never be afraid of words.

Right, how can I get this back on topic?  Oh yes, by saying I'm hoping to see her in Chester on the 20th Dec...  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 01:08:11 AM »

Thea and band played a few songs from the Sandy album on Saturday night at her Nantwich Words and Music Festival gig. I liked them and look forward to the CD.

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Tom Barham
n3wb

Loc: Ruthin

« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »

There is a positive and interesting article and interview of Thea by Andy Gill in today's Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/thea-gilmore-breathes-new-life-into-the-words-of-a-tragic-lost-star-2370108.html

I still wish they'd stop harping on about the 'tortured tragic artist' line and just remember her for the astounding talent she was....
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2011, 06:29:35 PM »

There is a positive and interesting article and interview of Thea by Andy Gill in today's Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/thea-gilmore-breathes-new-life-into-the-words-of-a-tragic-lost-star-2370108.html

I still wish they'd stop harping on about the 'tortured tragic artist' line and just remember her for the astounding talent she was....
And, not for the first time, The Independent have used an archive picture purportedly of Fairport, but actually Sandy, RT and the Dransfields!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2011, 11:40:46 PM »

Good review. I'm certainly going to buy this CD. I've not been persuaded to buy the Rupert Street CD but this sounds much more worthwhile.

David Blake

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »

Looking forward to seeing Thea at the Half Moon in December.
Hans Valk
Most of you can't read Dutch, I suppose

Loc: Dordrecht, The Netherlands

« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »

For now at least, you can find that interview here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9612000/9612498.stm

Thanks, Nick. By the fragments of the songs mixed into the interview I got a better idea of the CD than by the track that was posted here earlier. While that had a melody that was intriguing and Thea's singing was very good, I could not help thinking that it sounded to 'poppy' and a little heavily produced. Indeed just what Sandy sometimes did on her last solo-albums. The interview shows that there are also some songs with a 'smaller' sound, which sound better to my ears.

--
Hans Valk
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2011, 11:42:29 PM »

There's an extremely scathing review of the album in this month's Mojo.
Sample quote.

"Her (Sandy's) estate eventually scouted around for a suitable artist to bring them (Sandy's lyrics) into the public light.Instead they found Thea Gilmore"
Ouch!!

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #95 on: October 22, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »

A much more positive review in yesterday's Guardian (4/5 stars) by Caroline Sullivan.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/oct/20/thea-gilmore-dont-stop-singing-review

DC
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2011, 02:29:10 PM »

Sample quote.

"Her (Sandy's) estate eventually scouted around for a suitable artist to bring them (Sandy's lyrics) into the public light.Instead they found Thea Gilmore"
Ouch!!

Is that the December issue, Bill? Who wrote it? So far the reviews have been positive, but there is undoubtedly a negative review to be written. I'm down to review this album for R2 but I haven't made up my mind yet what line to take. Although it's very easy on the ear, I have a heap of reservations about the whole project.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Poor Will (Bill)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2011, 02:55:34 PM »

Sample quote.

Ouch!!

Is that the December issue, Bill? Who wrote it? So far the reviews have been positive, but there is undoubtedly a negative review to be written. I'm down to review this album for R2 but I haven't made up my mind yet what line to take. Although it's very easy on the ear, I have a heap of reservations about the whole project.
Yes, the December issue. The reviewer is Andy Fyfe.

arie

« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2011, 12:02:48 AM »

And, not for the first time, The Independent have used an archive picture purportedly of Fairport, but actually Sandy, RT and the Dransfields!

I think they're Pat Donaldson, Sandy, Timi Donald and RT, maybe singing The Rigs of the Times
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #99 on: October 27, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »

Interview in today's Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/worldfolkandjazz/8851359/Thea-Gilmore-Bringing-Sandy-Denny-back-to-life.html

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: