TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 11:59:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Me Jude in Classic Rock Presents Prog 20/4/11  (Read 33863 times)
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 10:55:48 PM »

I don't often buy this mag as I think it is rather expensive. But this time it's worth it just for Judy's CD. The opener "Heart of Stone" is stunning and along with "Crystal Voices" if this is the standard of all the tracks of the new release, Newborn Creatures is going to be one great album. Shame we have to wait until June.

Obviously we already know the tracks off the last album, glad they have included Harpsong though.

The three demos are also very good and I love the version of See Emily Play. So this augers very well for the Anthology as well. This could be getting expensive.

The article in the mag is also very interesting and informative.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2011, 11:00:46 PM »

Tell him to buy his own copy.At 8 quid a pop you should go first.

Grin Grin PMSL
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »

Seems a good deal to me given you get 2 CDs and a 132 page magazine with features on Judy, Fairport (great pic of the '71 line-up giving it six-nowt onstage) and John Renbourne. Plus the mighty Rush. It's all good stuff.

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2011, 12:15:45 PM »

Seems a good deal to me given you get 2 CDs and a 132 page magazine with features on Judy, Fairport (great pic of the '71 line-up giving it six-nowt onstage) and John Renbourne. Plus the mighty Rush. It's all good stuff.

I just love that phrase...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
scarabus (Kevin)

Loc: Hertfordshire

Cutting wood whenever convenient

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2011, 02:02:50 PM »

Shame the mag's review of Festival Bell talks about Ric Sanders rearranging Celtic Moon to suit his voice... Although that's a rearrangement I wouldn't mind hearing...

Loganberry jam is another kettle of fish
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 03:23:58 PM »

Glad See Emily Play is on the Jude CD - as a Floyd fan and NOT usually a cover version fan, it's a good take on an old classic.....nice!

Well I never did..
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 03:35:52 PM »

Glad See Emily Play is on the Jude CD - as a Floyd fan and NOT usually a cover version fan, it's a good take on an old classic.....nice!

Adrian Wagner worked with Bob Moog and helped EMS sell the VCS3 synthesizer to musicians and music shops. And he invented the Wasp amongst other portable insect named synthesizers...
http://www.adrianwagner.com

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2011, 06:39:40 PM »

It's a corking read, although they do seem to have a fairly broad definition of what constitutes 'prog'.  Cheesy
Phrase of the issue? "There's more ways of killing a cat than throwing butter at it".  Cheesy

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »

Phrase of the issue? "There's more ways of killing a cat than throwing butter at it".  Cheesy

Must have been good stuff that whoever thought that one up was smoking !  Smiley

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 08:09:30 AM »

I always pick up Classic Rock meets Prog and have stopped buying Classic Rock itself. I'm not interested in Kiss, who seemed to be in it every month, or articles about band members drinking/drugging themselves into oblivion. Articlesd usually accompanied by photos of a hairy bloke covered in tattoos leering out the page while doing that dumb "devil's horn" thing with his fingers.

I wasn't expecting the JD sampler, so put it on in the car the other morning. Certainly does make me look forward to the actual album!

For the first issues of CRMP you could only get it in WH Smiths or independents. Now it appears to be in all supermarkets. I get my copy from the Tesco over the road from the office...

Although the content does sometimes seem to stray quite a way from Prog. Not that it bothers me, as a lot of prog rock fans seem to also be fans of folk-rock as well. I wish they'd do a bit more jazz/rock fusion and cover more Italian/German bands.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »

I wish they'd do a bit more jazz/rock fusion and cover more Italian/German bands.

That's a sentence I thought had been declared extinct in about 1976....  Cheesy

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2011, 10:03:56 PM »

It's a marvellous read but I did find that, not having followed the prog scene - be there such a thing - for a while, the other free CD was such a collection of pedestrian cliches that I flipped most of the tracks before they'd even reached their sixth minute. The prog scene - really, is that it?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »

It's a marvellous read but I did find that, not having followed the prog scene - be there such a thing - for a while, the other free CD was such a collection of pedestrian cliches that I flipped most of the tracks before they'd even reached their sixth minute. The prog scene - really, is that it?

Somewhat like the free CDs with Classic Rock, the CR Presents..CDs are somewhat variable in quality - far too much tuneless metal masquerading as complex prog, or bands copying IQ copying Genesis..The CDs with the first few editions were excellent, as was the K-Scope records sampler..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2011, 10:40:26 PM »

It's always a bit of a molly shoot - assuming that anything given away with a magazine is either representative as a whole or not subject to contractual and advertising considerations (doffs cap, present company excepted and all that) but this was really dire. Put it this way, I was looking fondly at a cheap copy of Wheel of Steel in HMV today as a palate cleanser.

DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2011, 02:21:54 PM »

I just wanted to say that I never ever thought that I would be likely to buy a magazine called Classic Rock Presents Prog. Judy D, you have a lot to answer for! :-)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2011, 04:12:08 PM »

I just wanted to say that I never ever thought that I would be likely to buy a magazine called Classic Rock Presents Prog. Judy D, you have a lot to answer for! :-)

Heeheeheeheeheeheehee!  Grin  Grin  Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »

Found a copy of the mag hidden away at the back of the bottom shelf at my local WH Smiths. Lots of interesting stuff to read though obviously the Jude article comes first! What on earth was RT wearing in that photo on p49?  Smiley

See Emily Play is a popular song to cover as Martha Wainwright did a version on her I Know You're Married... album.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 09:45:21 AM »

I sent my brother off to find me a copy, which he has stashed away for my holidays in July.  Looking forward to it.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:49 PM »

the other free CD was such a collection of pedestrian cliches that I flipped most of the tracks before they'd even reached their sixth minute.

Grin

Likewise. The only ones I listened to more than a couple of minutes of were Twelfth Night, Matt Stevens and The Curator. I'll stick to my Yes and Fish-era Marillion LPs if I'm in the mood for some prog. And I'll admit to having one of Rush's live albums. Bought it mainly for Spirit of Radio.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2011, 04:12:31 PM »

I've long felt that early-70s FC were as proggy as they were folky or rocky.  

See, e.g., Bring 'em Down and Sloth - lyrically and instrumentally, they have much in common with the popular progressive music of the period.  They're already bloody long on record, and stretched on forever in live performance, other hallmarks of the progressive movement.  In addition, FC's early '70s penchant for complex instrumentals, played at warp speed, seems a bit proggy to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: