TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:55:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Babbacombe Lee  (Read 94635 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #100 on: January 15, 2012, 08:04:20 PM »

I'm not too keen on Hexhamshire lass which seems to have been a favourite with the band. On the other hand I would love to hear Lord Marlborough and Wizard of the wordly game attempted by the current lineup

I can't figure out how a person can like Lord Marlborough and not like Hexhamshire Lass - they have a very similar style in common.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
john graham
n3wb

« Reply #101 on: January 15, 2012, 08:54:11 PM »

I see your point but I have never thought too deeply about it. I liked Hexhamshire Lass well enough when it came out originally but having heard it live so many times I think I have grown a bit weary of it whereas there are other songs in the repertoire I am happy to hear in any set. I have however never heard Lord Marlborough or Wizard of the Wordly Game Live (have either of them ever appeared in a set list) and would be interested in hearing their interpretation.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #102 on: January 15, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »

Al, I am with you on My Feet Are Set For Dancing...unlistenable to me, and can I risk ire here and say I really don't get Cathy LeSurf. I find a few songs tolerable (ok, thread drift I guess, since I'm talking with the Albions), but her voice leaves me cold mostly. Of course in a 45 year career, one cannot like every single thing...there are always going to be songs that one doesnt respond to. Oddly enough all the songs mentioned here are not on my list  Wink

I will just say that one of the reasons I like Travelling By Steam is for the tune at the end, and the story about it Ric mentions in the notes to Jewel In The Crown.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #103 on: January 15, 2012, 10:00:24 PM »

Al, I am with you on My Feet Are Set For Dancing...unlistenable to me, and can I risk ire here and say I really don't get Cathy LeSurf. I find a few songs tolerable (ok, thread drift I guess, since I'm talking with the Albions), but her voice leaves me cold mostly. Of course in a 45 year career, one cannot like every single thing...there are always going to be songs that one doesnt respond to. Oddly enough all the songs mentioned here are not on my list  Wink

I will just say that one of the reasons I like Travelling By Steam is for the tune at the end, and the story about it Ric mentions in the notes to Jewel In The Crown.

I actually quite like MFASFD, but I don't know why I like it.

Travel by Steam (or Swaggering Boney as its more commonly known) is great tune and an awesome dance too.  Cheesy

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #104 on: January 15, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »

I actually quite like MFASFD, but I don't know why I like it.

Travel by Steam (or Swaggering Boney as its more commonly known) is great tune and an awesome dance too.  Cheesy

Indeed Ollie. I quite like Martin Carthy's version of Swaggering Boney (with one Bruce Rowland on drums), and somwhere I have a more traditional version of it as well...its a very good tune.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »

Al, I am with you on My Feet Are Set For Dancing...unlistenable to me, and can I risk ire here and say I really don't get Cathy LeSurf. I find a few songs tolerable (ok, thread drift I guess, since I'm talking with the Albions), but her voice leaves me cold mostly.

Just to continue your topic drift, this subject came up in an Albions thread. I am similarly resistant to Cathy's charms. I was a latecomer to the Albions anyway but now have much of their stuff. In the middle of my collection though is a big Cathy LeSurf shaped hole.

What? Back on topic? Certainly sir. The new live BL is being sent out this week I believe. Looking forward to it very much.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2012, 09:49:38 AM »

Cathy was the female lead singer at Cropredy when I first got on board.  I think she has a classic folk-rock voice myself so I have to say I find it difficult to dislike.  Then again, I don't exactly sit at home listening to Day Trip to Bangor every day (I don't imagine the Oysterband do either though to be fair...)  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2012, 10:28:39 AM »

Cathy has never been an official member of the band.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2012, 10:32:47 AM »

Cathy has never been an official member of the band.

(Assuming we're talking Fairport, not Albions) Of course not, that's why I wrote 'at Cropredy'....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »

Yes I did mean FC...

She used to do a music 'thing' locally here.. and part of her publicity material stated that she was a member of Fairport...

Now it could have been a journalistic mistake.. or not... but it really irked me  Shocked Shocked

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2012, 10:58:27 AM »

Yes I did mean FC...

She used to do a music 'thing' locally here.. and part of her publicity material stated that she was a member of Fairport...

Now it could have been a journalistic mistake.. or not... but it really irked me  Shocked Shocked

She's sung with them enough times for it to be mentioned, and she's certainly a fully paid up member of the extended 'Fairport family', but, no, she's never been a member...although I seem to remember there was talk for a while back in the day...

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2012, 11:28:24 AM »

Yes I did mean FC...

It's quite common.  A local paper reporting on Fairport at The Orchard in Dartford some years back cited Dave Pegg as a founder member.  When I wrote and pulled them up on it, they responded that that was what the band's publicity material said.  Rewriting history really irks me, too.  Shocked Shocked

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »

Totally off topic I know, but deserves repetition...

When advertising a Swarb gig a Grimsby paper stated that he had recovered from a 'double heart transplant'  Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

(This is a true story)

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2012, 02:25:01 PM »

Well, that's the next Doctor Who sorted out then...  Wink

Flobbadob!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »

Totally off topic I know, but deserves repetition...

When advertising a Swarb gig a Grimsby paper stated that he had recovered from a 'double heart transplant'  Shocked Roll Eyes Wink

(This is a true story)

I believe you Jen! I have a feeling I have heard this story before. I find it incomprehensible that such an error can get "out there". Journalists, eh?  Roll Eyes Back OT - I love Swarbs voice, and I also love Chris Leslie's rendition of Cell Song.  Cool

That's not dirt, it's patination!
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »

The first time I heard the current line-up play The Cell Song, with the 3-part harmonies on the last verse - shivers up the spine time.  One of those moments that just "hits the spot".  (There's a guitar solo towards the end of The Orchestral Tubular Bells that has much the same effect on me).

Flobbadob!
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2012, 05:50:06 PM »

Don't know why, but I find the way Chris L plays the Mandolin picking part on 'Trial Song' really enchanting. I noticed it when they played it last year, and couldn't figure out why I hadn't noticed it on the album before. I listened to the album back and noticed that Chris doesn't play it the same way Swarb did. DI can't really tell what the difference is, all I know is I really love the way Chris plays it.

Imponderable Joy
RobertD
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2012, 06:05:35 PM »

I really am looking forward to this live version as well...so glad I got to hear it in person last year at Cropredy. Even though I knew it was coming, I really could not believe I was hearing them perform an album I knew every nuance of, and played hundreds of times over the years in its entirety. Having an extra member in the band unlike with the four piece that recorded it gave it more depth as well. Overdubs are fine, but with either Ric adding violin parts where there were none before, or Chris adding mandolin parts (not to mention Ric on the bass uke  Wink), the songs sounded fabulous...and thats before even discussing the vocals!

Darren_j
beer runs are very important of course
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London

« Reply #118 on: January 17, 2012, 12:57:23 PM »

Then again, I don't exactly sit at home listening to Day Trip to Bangor every day

I remember a brief time when me and my sister did sit at home listening to Day Trip to Bangor every day. But you probably needed to be of a certain age in the late 70s to have gone through that particular ritual....

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #119 on: January 17, 2012, 04:08:52 PM »

I see your point but I have never thought too deeply about it. I liked Hexhamshire Lass well enough when it came out originally but having heard it live so many times I think I have grown a bit weary of it whereas there are other songs in the repertoire I am happy to hear in any set. I have however never heard Lord Marlborough or Wizard of the Wordly Game Live (have either of them ever appeared in a set list) and would be interested in hearing their interpretation.

I seem to recall Chris singing Lord Marlborough, it was either during a Wintour, or Peggy's 60th, because I recall the setting as being Brum Town Hall. However, it might just have been the Barbican gig from a few years back as I don't recall hearing it in St Albans, which pretty much rules out the Wintour option.

It struck me particularly because the song is one of my favourites, and Chris's enunciation allowed me to sort out a phrase or two which I hadn't been able to decipherfrom Swarb's recorded version.

DC
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: