TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 09:04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Babbacombe Lee  (Read 94460 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« on: January 21, 2011, 03:06:24 PM »

I'm sure I recall reading somewhere (probably Wikipedia) that Simon Nicol's production work on BL wasn't best received by the rest of the band. Having spent some revision time in advance of the tour listening again, I really can't think why. Does anyone remember first hand if this came up at the time, or what the alleged problem was? Um, everyone should be over it now, yes?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:09:56 PM »

I recall reading about that but I agree with you that there appears very little, if anything, to moan about.  For starters, Simon certainly gave DM a superb drum sound - maybe the best he ever had.  I have no idea whose beef it was and what the particulars were though.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »

Wouldn't the drum sound be as much down to the engineer as the producer? I know Simon co-produced the album with John Wood, but did he engineer it too? John Wood was noted for his skill and perfectionism as an engineer, so it wouldn't be any surprise to learn that he looked after that side of things.

Bear in mind also that the supposed friction wasn't necessarily related to the sound of the finished album, it could be about any of the myriad issues the producer has to handle, many of which are decidedly non-musical.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »

Wouldn't the drum sound be as much down to the engineer as the producer? I know Simon co-produced the album with John Wood, but did he engineer it too? John Wood was noted for his skill and perfectionism as an engineer, so it wouldn't be any surprise to learn that he looked after that side of things.

Bear in mind also that the supposed friction wasn't necessarily related to the sound of the finished album, it could be about any of the myriad issues the producer has to handle, many of which are decidedly non-musical.

Good points both!

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »

I seem to remember reading that in Patrick Humphries' book.This disgruntlement (IIRC) was the basis for Simon's quitting of the band,along with some other factor which cropped up on the subsequent tour.

Well I never did..
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 05:03:08 PM »

It was also said by some that the fact that Simon is standing aloof from the other three on the inside cover illustration was indicative of his estrangement from the others.

I certainly have no issues with the production.

I missed the live performances first time around, so am really looking forward to hearing it in its entirety soon!

DC
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 07:51:13 PM »

Fine sound for DM on BL, one factor that got me into FC in the first place.

Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »

Can anyone sort out a question I have?  According to the Expletive Delighted website the BBC Babbacombe Lee TV documentary was made in late 1974, but on the Fairport UnConventional box set the two tracks taken from the documentary (Farewell to a Poor Man's Son and the Sandy version of Breakfast in Mayfair) are dated 1973.

Which date is correct?  I'm inclined to go with the Expletive Delighted date, but does anyone know for sure?

And a secondary question, who is the male singer on the TV version of Breakfast in Mayfair?  The Free Reed site says it is Sandy Denny and Simon Nicol, but it doesn't sound quite like Simon, and he wasn't in the band then anyway.  But nor does it sound (to my ears) like anyone else who was in the band then (Dave Swarbrick, Dave Pegg, Dave Mattacks, Trevor Lucas, Jerry Donahue, Sandy Denny according to Expletive Delighted).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:37:36 AM by Will S » Logged

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 11:43:28 AM »

Can anyone sort out a question I have?  According to the Expletive Delighted website the BBC Babbacombe Lee TV documentary was made in late 1974, but on the Fairport UnConventional box set the two tracks taken from the documentary (Farewell to a Poor Man's Son and the Sandy version of Breakfast in Mayfair) are dated 1973.

Which date is correct?  I'm inclined to go with the Expletive Delighted date, but does anyone know for sure?

Heylin's "Gypsy Love Songs & Sad Refrains" gives a recording date of "The Man They Could Not Hang" as 24th September 1974 & he  repeats this in his " No More Sad Refrains" biog. But he also lists Sandy performing "Cell Song", rather than "Breakfast In Mayfair", so accuracy is not his strong point, even in detail.

What I'd like to know is why the BBC chose to excise "Breakfast In Mayfair", in my opinion the highlight of the programme, from the repeat broadcast, rather than some of Belvin Braggs commentary, or Martin Carthy's ballads?

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:57:13 AM »

And a secondary question, who is the male singer on the TV version of Breakfast in Mayfair?

It is indeed Simon Nicol.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:00:57 PM »

Don't think Trevor was present.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 01:17:58 PM »

Which date is correct?

I can't help but think that the confusion is down to a mix up of dates for music recording, filming, and broadcast.  Wasn't the show broadcast in early '75?  I'm pretty confident that that would rule out 1973, so I'm reckoning on a late '74 recording date, as per Heylin (who despite getting the song titles wrong, is at least renowned for getting his dates right).

Jules

Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 02:03:38 PM »

Yeah it was made in late 1974. The line-up was the Rising For The Moon band but with Nicol instead of Trevor.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 02:35:48 PM »

OK, so it sounds as if Expletive Delight got the recording date right, but the personnel wrong, and Free Reed got it the other way round!

Thanks for your help, everyone.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:05 PM »

As ever, Fairport Confusion.

Even I can't remember it all, but I do know it must have been winter because the Roundhouse (where the filming of the prison imagery was done, was so chilly the shots included clouds of breath steam!)

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 03:37:06 PM »

Still a shame it's not commercially available.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 03:51:53 PM »

Does anyone have a copy of the TV programme? I can't believe I missed it at the time - I was the kind of fan who missed nothing in those days. On the other hand I was a student. . .
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 03:55:18 PM »

Still a shame it's not commercially available.

I'm not even sure it exists anymore....   The tracks that have had an audio release sound like they were taped from the telly.  That might be all there is.  Anyone know different?

Jules

Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 04:13:51 PM »

Does anyone have a copy of the TV programme? I can't believe I missed it at the time - I was the kind of fan who missed nothing in those days. On the other hand I was a student. . .

I corresponded with another Talkawhiler, who says he has a copy of the repeat broadcast. Sadly, in the repeat the BBC edited out 'Breakfast in Mayfair'. There seems to be no video of 'Breakfast' in existence (unless Simon knows otherwise?)

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Anne T
I'm obviously missing the point here

Loc: Berkshire

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2011, 07:36:51 PM »

A colleague today asked rather randomly if we wanted to see a picture of his great-great grandfather. It turns out that he was the hangman who didn't manage to hang John Lee!
CD on its way to work...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: