TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 18, 2021, 01:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Review: Let Them Talk - Hugh Laurie  (Read 7569 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2011, 04:00:40 PM »

made me want to check out if he's written an autobiography yet.

No he hasn't. I have read Fry's book too and Fry's awe of Hugh Laurie's musical abilities right from the moment they met is clear and sincere.

To be fair to Mr Laurie, I think he clearly understands the flak he is liely to encounter for this project. It does seem incongruous but at the same time his passion for blues and his knowledge of it seem genuine and lifelong. I am not tempted by the record because I am not a huge fan of blues in its purest form but the history of popular music is littered with middle class English boys with Howlin' Wolf and John Lee Hooker fixations. I don't see why this should be accorded any less respect than they are, at least in intent.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2011, 04:20:41 PM »

I think Lewis was allying the rolled up jacket years to the 1980's and '90's (lack of) dress sense and **** music, rather than saying you didn't like Clapton's clothes.

.....And the bloody drum machine.

Mind you on second thoughts it could have been Collins.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2011, 04:21:40 PM »

I've been listening to Hugh Laurie's "Let Them Talk" posh-white-boy-sings-the-blues album. Technically gifted as a musician I can't help but feel that he's being hugely over-indulged by the label because his fame as Dr Gregory House will undoubtedly boost sales, probably elevating him to the top of the charts.

But that doesn't mean it's any good. From the beginning of the first track - "St James' Infirmary" - which is eerily reminiscent of JT's "Locomotive Breath" for the first few bars - I've been feeling increasingly uncomfortable as I hear his singing voice imitating those of the black southern blues singers who, whilst undoubtedly his heroes, come from a very different world to him.

I have every admiration for the musical talents on show here - production & arrangements are by Allen Toussaint and the album features Dr John and Irma Thomas amongst others.

But.... and I'm truly sorry about this.... my skin crawls every time Hugh Laurie's pseudo-south singing hits my ears.

I really like Hugh Laurie as an actor. But not this album.

If he wants to know how it should be done, he only has to listen to Eric Clapton's 2004 album "Me & Mr Johnson", which shares a track - "They're Red Hot" - EC's version being a joyful rendition sung in his own voice, HL's being a travesty.

I've only heard half of the album at a friends and loved it!. I may be slightly biased as the man could stand on his head naked in my book and get my vote. I feel his deliberate sloppy playing very endearing Grin

C x

That would make an interesting album sleeve. Smiley

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: