TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 12:33:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ...'previously unreleased tracks...'  (Read 8704 times)
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!

I'm a llama!

« on: October 01, 2010, 09:20:01 PM »

Reading the Sandy Denny box-set thread, I got to thinking whether previously unreleased tracks are worth it on their own merit, or a collection of warty rejects to earn a few bucks from completists. On the whole it's the latter, but some gems that spring to mind include:

- Jethro Tull - 20 yrs boxed set. Stunning, especially Jack-A-Lynn which is as good as anything they ever did
- Richard Thompson - Crash the party and Push & shove (shame a better quality recording couldn't be found). Both rejects from Amnesia, I think..
- REM - dead letter office (well, about half of it; Burning Down et al)
- All About Eve - Different Sky (from Winter Words) - up there with their best.

Can you good folk think of other examples of unreleased songs which can hold their own with their better-known brethren?

Cheers

Adam
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 09:22:53 PM »

Fairport - The Ballad of Easy Rider.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:50:53 PM »

RT - Galway to Graceland (unreleased until Watching the Dark)

Thank Drunk I'm God
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »

Fotheringay - Eppy Moray (wasn't a bonus track per se since it was part of Fotheringay 2, but that it lay dormant for nearly 4 decades is weird).
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »

Fotheringay - Eppy Moray (wasn't a bonus track per se since it was part of Fotheringay 2, but that it lay dormant for nearly 4 decades is weird).

it didnt really did it, it just wasnt officially released

The Dude abides
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 11:56:12 AM »

"Grrr" would be my standard reaction.

Bruce Springsteen - J'accuse.

The first "Greatest Hits" package wouldn't have sold to the long-standing fans - except that they then went and included the first official versions of "This Hard Land", "Murder Inc" and "Blood Brothers".

The "tour" version of "We Shall Overcome" wouldn't have sold - except that they then went and included 4 new tracks.

Juliana Hatfield: go to the top of the class.  On several occasions, she's made previously unreleased songs available as a download on her website on an "honour system".  You can download for free - but there's a PayPal link if you feel like paying her for them.  I have 48 of these songs on my iPod - all paid for, I hasten to add.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »

The Beach Boys - 4th Of July (from the Good Vibrations boxed set)

The Buffalo Springfield - Whatever Happened To Saturday Night?; What A Day (from the Buffalo Springfield boxed set)

CSNY - Helplessly Hoping (electric version); The Lee Shore (studio version) (from the CSN boxed set)

Bob Dylan - You're A Big Girl Now (alternate version); Abandoned Love (from Biograph)

The Waterboys - Too Close To Heaven (live 2002 version) (from a ltd bonus disc given away with initial copies of the US release of Fisherman's Blues pt 2)

Neil Young - Bad Fog Of Loneliness (Archives vol 1)

I could probably think of dozens more if I wasn't about to pop out the door for a few minutes.....

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell are coming

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 12:57:49 PM »

Mott The Hoople

Til I'm Gone
Road To Birmingham
Ohio.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 04:51:37 PM »

As this was on while making dinner, the Swarbless "A Sailor's Life" from Watching the Dark, full of raging guitars..

Thank Drunk I'm God
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 06:44:14 PM »

As this was on while making dinner, the Swarbless "A Sailor's Life" from Watching the Dark, full of raging guitars..

Yup... good call  Fez

No Left Turn Unstoned
Brendan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Barrow-in-Furness

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 07:16:48 PM »

Waterboys : Too Close to Heaven previously unreleased tracks which would make a better album that most bands put out.

"I'm only a bag of Rags in an Overall"
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 07:22:27 PM »

This is one of my favourite FC recordings.  Beautiful Sandy vocals and RT guitar. Sheer bliss.  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 09:13:04 PM »

Waterboys : Too Close to Heaven previously unreleased tracks which would make a better album that most bands put out.

There were still others on the deluxe versh of Fisherman's Blues, and they've still barely scratched the surface of all that went down during those wild sessions.

For me it was a shame Mike re-recorded many of his vocals though.  I prefer historic recordings to be left as was, save for some judicial editing.  But then I'm not the artist.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »

This is one of my favourite FC recordings.  Beautiful Sandy vocals and RT guitar. Sheer bliss.  Grin

The only song I have twice on my MP3 player - Fairport and Byrds versions.

Jules

tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 11:33:02 PM »

So much Tull stuff I could compose a very boring treatise here, but those Chateau Disaster tapes were truly an undeniable manna to the tried and true Tull fans, basically the original Passion Play of which I am amongst maybe 5 to 10 per cent who find it the superior by a good distance to the actual album, partly for the inclusion of the long time Tull staple of humor and melody. The 20 and 25 year boxes include at least 10 songs that would sit very handsomely with the best of their catalogue for those who believe there actually is good Jethro Tull after 1969, and a few of those things are from 68 and 9. Remarkable what that man finds discardable, particularly as regarded the Heavy Horses and Broadsword albums, I of course hold that the most talented of any of the people of the rock era has in many respects passed unnoticed save for codpieces, standing on one leg, and snot, for those of a different perception which is of  course nearly everyone, please do not get your panties in a bunch,(believe me i know the roll call of the 50 to 100 who would be considered his undoubted superior) merely one old fool's observation, but o if it could be reduced to sport, because this is not something i surmise, it is something i know.  

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 09:36:09 AM »

So much Tull stuff I could compose a very boring treatise here, but those Chateau Disaster tapes were truly an undeniable manna to the tried and true Tull fans, basically the original Passion Play of which I am amongst maybe 5 to 10 per cent who find it the superior by a good distance to the actual album, partly for the inclusion of the long time Tull staple of humor and melody. The 20 and 25 year boxes include at least 10 songs that would sit very handsomely with the best of their catalogue for those who believe there actually is good Jethro Tull after 1969, and a few of those things are from 68 and 9. Remarkable what that man finds discardable, particularly as regarded the Heavy Horses and Broadsword albums, I of course hold that the most talented of any of the people of the rock era has in many respects passed unnoticed save for codpieces, standing on one leg, and snot, for those of a different perception which is of  course nearly everyone, please do not get your panties in a bunch,(believe me i know the roll call of the 50 to 100 who would be considered his undoubted superior) merely one old fool's observation, but o if it could be reduced to sport, because this is not something i surmise, it is something i know.  

and in english?

The Dude abides
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2010, 11:09:46 AM »

No, I'm with Tullist on that one. Wondrin' Again, a forgotten song that according to a recent interview he's considering revisiting, is one of their best. Surely though 69 isn't the cut off point for Tull traditionalists, that would be 78/79.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2010, 01:21:44 PM »

and in english?

That's Raymondo's style, man!   Cool

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2010, 01:30:53 PM »

The only song I have twice on my MP3 player - Fairport and Byrds versions.

Jules

I do really like the Byrds version of course Jules, but much prefer FCs effort, do you?   I particularly love Sandy's powerful singing after the solo. It always brings a tear to the old eye.   Cry

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 01:49:42 PM »

I do really like the Byrds version of course Jules, but much prefer FCs effort, do you?  

I think the Byrds just edge it for me.  Especially the alternate version with the Clarence White guitar solo.  I'm such a huge fan of Clarence's guitar playing.  Also I've been a Byrds fan for a lot longer than I've been a Fairport fan, so it's a case of the 'first love' thing.  But I do like the Fairport version a lot, hence having both on my MP3 player.

Jules

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: