TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:29:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoot Out The Lights: 2 CD reissue  (Read 54268 times)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2010, 09:47:22 AM »

i have just read the page that Chris posted up at the top of the thread, signed up for e-maithers and seen this at the very end of the message
ahem....."You won’t find this in any store or anywhere else online, so don't miss out! To find out when this limited edition is available for pre-order, sign up for the Rhino Handmade Newsletter above."

so there you have it

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2010, 09:56:26 AM »

i have just read the page that Chris posted up at the top of the thread, signed up for e-maithers and seen this at the very end of the message
ahem....."You won’t find this in any store or anywhere else online, so don't miss out! To find out when this limited edition is available for pre-order, sign up for the Rhino Handmade Newsletter above."

so there you have it

I still reckon Spin will get copies in.  They have for previous Handmade releases.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2010, 10:00:05 AM »

Re: Living in Luxury.
The song did come out of the same sessions & was first released as the 'B' side of the single Don't Renege on our Love.
As Andy said RT demanded its withdrawal from all subsequent releases on CD after it had appeared on the initial Hannibal CD release.  I believe there was some kind of quid pro quo when he agreed this with Joe Boyd - was it not that RT allowed the release of Small Town Romance on CD if Living in Luxury was removed?
Actually a few of the early RT CD releases appeared with Bonus Tracks that were not on the vinyl albums - As well as Living in Luxury there was Where the Wind Don't Whine on Hand of Kindness & Shine on Love on Across a Crowded Room.  RT, though, has always been opposed to this practice - as he's made clear many times in interviews.  I kind of understand his point but I'm glad these bonus tracks are out there.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2010, 11:33:26 AM »

So it sounds like those of us who already have at least one copy of the original album won't be able to just get hold of the live tracks by downloading them from iTunes, or whatever.  It'll be the whole package or nowt...

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »

So it sounds like those of us who already have at least one copy of the original album won't be able to just get hold of the live tracks by downloading them from iTunes, or whatever.  It'll be the whole package or nowt...

Not sure - I've noticed previous Rhino Handmade releases having download options.  Again, it was direct from their site only.

Jules

StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2010, 09:07:54 PM »

What were the dates of the San Francisco and Santa Cruz shows?
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2010, 02:27:18 PM »

...and another one for the Amazon shopping basket...   Shocked

Jules

Perhaps not:
"You won’t find this in any store or anywhere else online, so don't miss out! To find out when this limited edition is available for pre-order, sign up for the Rhino Handmade Newsletter".
http://www.rhino.com/article/shoot-out-the-lights-reloads

By the way, we seem to have two separate threads running about this now (Chris started another one last week).

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2010, 02:47:59 AM »

To echo a couple other posters, I was excited when I read the subject, and assumed that it was going to be Rafferty's Folly finally released officially.  Live tracks are always welcome, but I think more people would prefer Rafferty's Folly.

On the other hand, I suppose the whole point of Rafferty's Folly is that Thompson wasn't pleased with how the originally version of the album came out and didn't want it released, so why would he want it out now?    

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2010, 07:56:07 PM »

On the other hand, I suppose the whole point of Rafferty's Folly is that Thompson wasn't pleased with how the originally version of the album came out and didn't want it released, so why would he want it out now?    

As a historical document.  If it was the 2nd disc, it wouldn't be replacing the version he wanted, just showing how it all went down.  Fans would like that.  I think RT himself would understand that, but h's probably had little or nothing to do with this reissue anyway.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2010, 08:57:36 PM »

As a historical document.  If it was the 2nd disc, it wouldn't be replacing the version he wanted, just showing how it all went down.  Fans would like that.  I think RT himself would understand that, but h's probably had little or nothing to do with this reissue anyway.

Jules

I'm not so sure. He always seems to me to be fairly obsessive about controlling his catalogue, hence the shenanigans around Small Town Romance & Living in Luxury, his dislike of bonus tracks on reissues and a strident attitude towards unauthorised live recordings.

I think it is a bit of a pity. Artists rarely seem to me to be the best judge of their own material.

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:44 PM »

Artists rarely seem to me to be the best judge of their own material.

However, it is their material.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2010, 09:17:18 PM »

However, it is their material.

Indisputably.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2010, 08:56:13 AM »

He always seems to me to be fairly obsessive about controlling his catalogue, hence the shenanigans around Small Town Romance & Living in Luxury, his dislike of bonus tracks on reissues and a strident attitude towards unauthorised live recordings.

I think it is a bit of a pity. Artists rarely seem to me to be the best judge of their own material.

I think when he can have a say, he'll have one, but not sure whether he still has any bargaining power over his back catalogue from that era.

I agree with what you said about artists and their own material.

Jules

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2010, 07:30:35 PM »

The e-mail that I've just got has it at $39.98

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2010, 11:02:53 PM »

`

same here
 so that probably means we'll end up being asked £40 to buy this
do you ever get the feeling that we are just cash cows for an old record with a live show stuck on, should be £12, tops

The Dude abides
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2010, 11:34:54 PM »

`

same here
do you ever get the feeling that we are just cash cows for an old record with a live show stuck on, should be £12, tops

Indeed, but as the owners of these companies know all too well, there are enough of us to shell out these crazy amounts to buy something again we already bought 2 or 3 times before..Its the perfect example of capitalism..

Thank Drunk I'm God
jimc

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2010, 11:37:11 PM »

But possibly not as poor judges as really enthusiastic fans... I suspect some of us would be happy to buy a CD of RT tuning up a guitar with notched frets and knackered strings - and thoroughly enjoy listening to it!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Here To Help

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 08:34:05 AM »

`

same here

Indeed, but as the owners of these companies know all too well, there are enough of us to shell out these crazy amounts to buy something again we already bought 2 or 3 times before..Its the perfect example of capitalism..

when i start baulking at the prices being asked for reissues the i'm sure i am not alone.
Its aimed at the poor galoots like me who have already shelled out over and over again for stuff they first bought years ago and if they thought that there really was a market for this then it would be freely available not an on demand bespoke affair.
for the sort of money being asked($40+p&p) at the moment i would expect a lot more than a live show some photographs and an essay  telling me how bad the Thompsons marriage was at the time but how the music didnt suffer

stick it up your arse Ryko

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 09:57:59 AM »

I'm not paying £40.  If I find it for £30, I'll bite, but £40 is a joke.

Jules

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2010, 10:27:08 AM »

that's forty US$, not pounds....

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: