TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:28:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Who would you like to see at Cropredy 2011?  (Read 312055 times)
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #740 on: January 21, 2011, 06:36:18 PM »

For amusement value, perhaps, but after his three legs, two little boys and a boomerang, there's not a lot left to savour...

Are you kidding ?  I saw him at Glasto in '94, he was fantastic.  Believe me, Cropredy would love him Smiley

I'm with Goaty here. Rolf gets a lot of stick because of his novelty hits, but there's a lot more to him than them.

imagine the big svcreen being used yo show him doing one of his paintings Smiley  Do you know what it is yet?  He would be good though i think.

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #741 on: January 21, 2011, 06:40:20 PM »

Maggie Bell - 'er wot does the Taggart theme

DID the Taggart theme, not any more unless i am very much mistaken(and i often am)

Who does it now then?

According to Wiki it's Karina Smillie.

Oh, that Karina Smillie!

No Left Turn Unstoned
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #742 on: January 21, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »

For amusement value, perhaps, but after his three legs, two little boys and a boomerang, there's not a lot left to savour...

Are you kidding ?  I saw him at Glasto in '94, he was fantastic.  Believe me, Cropredy would love him Smiley

I'm with Goaty here. Rolf gets a lot of stick because of his novelty hits, but there's a lot more to him than them.

imagine the big svcreen being used yo show him doing one of his paintings Smiley  Do you know what it is yet?  He would be good though i think.

Stick him up at the top of the hill and he could amuse the kids too!      If you'll pardon the expression, I've always had a soft spot for old Rolf.  Shocked

No Left Turn Unstoned
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #743 on: January 21, 2011, 07:40:56 PM »

I could happily do without the singing gas fitter, but Rolf Harris would be great as the Thursday headliner - he's 81 this year and still does a great festival set so I'm told.

You've forgotten Sun Arise which was pretty good without being amusing.
I saw Rolf at the Eastleigh Festival a few years back and he put on an excellent show.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #744 on: January 21, 2011, 07:54:41 PM »

It's amazing the affection Rolf produes in others. I used to work in a call centre and he called in about something, staff of all ages were queing up just to listen to his voice.

David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #745 on: January 21, 2011, 08:16:11 PM »

He was only a young 'un back then though. I'm not saying he shouldn't be there, I just prefer his royal Joe-ness...

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #746 on: January 21, 2011, 11:29:58 PM »

Maggie Bell - 'er wot does the Taggart theme

I last saw her in 1972!!
Age more than creeping up.

AS did I. Stone The Crows with Les Harvey before he fried. They would have been good at Cropredy.

Les had been replaced by Jimmy when I saw them.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
H (Heather Smith)
Protecting her modesty with mackerel

Loc: Derbyshire

« Reply #747 on: January 22, 2011, 08:17:16 PM »

I could happily do without the singing gas fitter, but Rolf Harris would be great as the Thursday headliner - he's 81 this year and still does a great festival set so I'm told.

I saw Rolf at the Eastleigh Festival a few years back and he put on an excellent show.

Seen him nice at Glasto.  First time round he filled Jazz World (now West Holts) to an extent he caused major traffic problems, second time round he filled the field at the Pryamid stage.  An excellent performer, and I'll agree there's a lot more to him than novelty.  His current band are also all excellent musicians.

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #748 on: January 24, 2011, 11:36:31 AM »

Having been watching the "Damn The Torpedoes" episode of "Classic Albums", is it too late to make a pitch for Tom Petty?

[OK, I know it's way too late, but I can hope...]

David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #749 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »

Our Rotary club took a group of young people in wheelchairs from Douglas House hospice to WOMAD last year.  Rolf took time to come and visit the group and spent quite a bit of time with them.  One of the highlights of their weekend.  A really lovely man who can do little wrong as far as I am concerned.  (Oh and the same thing applies to Stornoway.  Not only did they spend time chatting to the group, they came and played a short set for them. A group that deserves to be very big.)
David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #750 on: January 24, 2011, 12:04:03 PM »

No, I hadn't forgotten Sun Arise, nor had I forgotten a hardly remembered classic of his, Johnny Day... (there, I hope that proves I think he's allright...) It's just that I couldn't find a way of fitting them into what I am hoping was a mildly amusing sentence...     Grin

I do like Rolf, and have done so since the very early days too. I would imagine it would be hard to find someone who doesn't like him. He would very likely go down well at Croppers, but I don't think it would be more for the validity of his music. There can be no doubting, love him or hate him, Joe Cocker remains one of the great live acts...

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #751 on: January 24, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »

There can be no doubting, love him or hate him, Joe Cocker remains one of the great live acts...

Yes there can . he isnt and never was
unless you mean a parallel universe where hopeless drunks are considered great

The Dude abides
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #752 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:03 PM »

& his band used to have one time Richard Thompson Band squeezeplayer Alan Dunn in the ranks. Quality stuff  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #753 on: January 24, 2011, 12:57:28 PM »

His current band are also all excellent musicians.

And includes his excellent and long term guitarist Graeme Taylor.  So if the Home Service is there ....

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Zoe
The answer's yes... now, what was the question?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Whittlesey

« Reply #754 on: January 24, 2011, 01:12:47 PM »

Wish the line up would come out soon.

Other than BBC Young folk awards David and Elly to win and be there or even not win and still be booked (not likely I know Roll Eyes)  I would like Eric Bib, Iris Dement, Nanci Griffith, Tom Russell, Boo Hewerdine, newly reformed Meet On the Ledge, ColvinQuarmby, Truckstop Honeymoon, The Saw Doctors to name but a few.

Its a fact that all the good words hang out in all the bad places
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #755 on: January 24, 2011, 01:15:28 PM »

There can be no doubting, love him or hate him, Joe Cocker remains one of the great live acts...

I saw him at the Crystal Palace bowl in 1971 and he was wonderful. I dont know what he's like now but he was worth watching then.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #756 on: January 24, 2011, 01:15:44 PM »

I've seen him three times in the last 10 years and he put on an excellent show each time. There is almost no audience interaction, but that wasn't a problem. His backing band are very tight and professional and he sang a good range of songs. Of course, he no longer drinks or takes drugs so there are no "hopeless drunk" issues.

I think he would go down very well at Cropredy. I'm not particularly a fan but his With a Little help from my Friends live is awesome.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #757 on: January 24, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »

His current band are also all excellent musicians.

And includes his excellent and long term guitarist Graeme Taylor.  So if the Home Service is there ....

Excellent. Didn't know that. Anyone else of note in his band?

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
David (terrrrrrrr)
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #758 on: January 24, 2011, 01:34:07 PM »

LOL

Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #759 on: January 24, 2011, 02:55:19 PM »

I think he would go down very well at Cropredy

I'm sure he would, he's a shoo-in for the fiftysomething-bearded-potbellied-Dad constituency Wink

I'm not particularly a fan but his With a Little help from my Friends live is awesome

Wheel him for a short set-within-a-set during FC so he can do that one. Then wheel him off again, sharpish.

Do you reckon he's still CORGI-registered?
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: