TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:59:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steeleye Chatter  (Read 376471 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »

The news items are both dated September 24, giving an idea of how recently this happened.

The recording continues with Steeleye Span for the forthcoming album, with the addition of scream-into-electric-violin-with-delay and other similar common musical techniques

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2016, 02:29:21 PM »

There appears to be a misprint (or worse) on the Steeleye page of Jessie's website. The tour details say the band are playing at Porthcawl Grand Theatre on 28th October. Strange, since I've got a ticket for Maesteg Town Hall on the very same night.  Shocked - Right country, wrong town!

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #182 on: September 26, 2016, 02:39:57 PM »

There appears to be a misprint (or worse) on the Steeleye page of Jessie's website. The tour details say the band are playing at Porthcawl Grand Theatre on 28th October. Strange, since I've got a ticket for Maesteg Town Hall on the very same night.  Shocked - Right country, wrong town!

Bizarrely both venues are listed here http://steeleye.freeservers.com/gigs.htm

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #183 on: September 26, 2016, 02:55:03 PM »

The ticket link is correct - I'll give Richard a shout.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Greg E

« Reply #184 on: September 26, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »

Foster and Allen are at Porthcawl on the same night.

I wonder which one I would watch  Shocked
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #185 on: September 26, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »

Foster. Allen's a hack.  Grin

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #186 on: September 27, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »

Foster. Allen's a hack.  Grin

quality

The Dude abides
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #187 on: January 02, 2017, 12:05:15 PM »

As well as running his recording studio in Queensland for many years now, Nigel Pegrum also plays in a band called Kamerunga.  I just stumbled upon this video of theirs a couple of days ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHGOIjRF60

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Roland
n3wb

Loc: Northern Germany

I am moving through the fair

« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2017, 10:12:34 PM »

As well as running his recording studio in Queensland for many years now, Nigel Pegrum also plays in a band called Kamerunga.  I just stumbled upon this video of theirs a couple of days ago:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhHGOIjRF60

Hello,Michael!
This is the answer to what I ask myself sometimes: What about Nigel Pegrum in Australia, is he still doing some music and what kind of? Thanks a lot for this! It's great to hear about him and it is very interesting music he does. I think I will order a CD or two.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #189 on: January 27, 2017, 04:18:12 PM »

Hello,Michael!
This is the answer to what I ask myself sometimes: What about Nigel Pegrum in Australia, is he still doing some music and what kind of? Thanks a lot for this! It's great to hear about him and it is very interesting music he does. I think I will order a CD or two.

He also played in the very fine and esoteric prog act Gnidrolog, back in the day. But you probably know that.  Roll Eyes
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #190 on: January 27, 2017, 05:07:41 PM »

Hello,Michael!

He also played in the very fine and esoteric prog act Gnidrolog, back in the day. But you probably know that.  Roll Eyes

I had the great misfortune to see the terrible gnidrolog including Mr P for acouple of bob, but luckily they were only supporting  the SAHB who were, as always, amazing, so the night was not wasted.

The Dude abides
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #191 on: January 28, 2017, 12:11:53 PM »

Hello,Michael!

I had the great misfortune to see the terrible gnidrolog including Mr P for acouple of bob, but luckily they were only supporting  the SAHB who were, as always, amazing, so the night was not wasted.

Each to his own of course. I always like, and have liked,  Gnidrolog, while the SAHB I find unlistenable.
Roland
n3wb

I am moving through the fair

« Reply #192 on: January 28, 2017, 10:53:49 PM »

There is a wide field between 'fine esoteric prog' and 'terrible' and this catches my interest! Yes, I know them but only from reading about, but never had a listen to their music. In my mind they had two studio and one live album in the early '70's before Nigel joined Steeleye. Now I read they had a reunion in the year 2000 and made a new album not only with drummer Nigel Pegrum but with a bass player called Rick Kemp! I think there are some cd's more on my 'wanted list' ;-). But there is a miracle for me: Who are SAHB??? Sensational Alex Harvey Band?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #193 on: January 29, 2017, 07:57:58 AM »

Who are SAHB??? Sensational Alex Harvey Band?

Aye  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #194 on: January 29, 2017, 03:09:21 PM »

There is a wide field between 'fine esoteric prog' and 'terrible' and this catches my interest! Yes, I know them but only from reading about, but never had a listen to their music. In my mind they had two studio and one live album in the early '70's before Nigel joined Steeleye. Now I read they had a reunion in the year 2000 and made a new album not only with drummer Nigel Pegrum but with a bass player called Rick Kemp! I

The 2 Gnidrolog studio albums are still available, and there's a small but loyal bunch of fans, like myself. If you want  good affordable editions which sound okay, the BGO 2on 1 of In Spite of Harry's Toenail/ Lady Lake is good. Otherwise the Esoteric label individual reissues are fine. If you like Gentle Giant you might like them. And the singer can sound a bit like Pete Hammill, which could put some people off.

The comeback album Prospice: Respice is rather different, and a curate's egg as to quality.

I imagine there's plenty of Gnidrolog on Youtube etc. to dip your toes in.

I'd forgotten about Rick Kemps' appearance on the 2000 album.  Cool
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #195 on: January 30, 2017, 09:36:00 PM »

Strangely enough, whilst i don't like the original Gnidrolog albums, I love the 2000 comeback, with the superb SS rhythm section. Talking of which ... I assume the reason that SS are absent at the moment is that they still are busy auditioning for a bassist ?
Greg E

« Reply #196 on: February 03, 2017, 07:17:09 PM »

On FB somone mentioned the Band are taking 2017 off. Does anyone know if this is the case?
chrish9132

« Reply #197 on: February 05, 2017, 10:54:49 PM »

If true that's a shame as it would be good to promote the new album which I think is their strongest for ages. I wonder if Rick's leaving has somehow altered the momentum?
HEM

I'd rather be flying....

« Reply #198 on: March 27, 2018, 07:35:23 PM »

Seems to have gone a bit quiet here (no post for over a year) Lips Sealed

TBH for my wife & myself Steeleye "died" when Ken departed followed by Peter...
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #199 on: March 27, 2018, 09:37:52 PM »

They're gigging this summer including Shrewsbury FF so it seems life goes on, along I do agree it cannot be underestimated the influence Peter had on/in the band.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: