TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:04:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steeleye Chatter  (Read 380015 times)
Geoffrey

« Reply #100 on: December 14, 2013, 10:37:31 PM »

excellent find.
But I smell a rat (pedal ). I reckon it's Bob and Peter taking it in turns to solo, although the violin sounds a lot like guitar, as we know it can.
Greg E

« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2013, 10:18:58 PM »

Great little section on gaudete just now on channel fives run down of top selling Xmas songs. Talk from Peter, Maddy and Rick. Plus even a clip of the current line up.
On channel 5 plus one in about 50 minutes Smiley
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2013, 09:41:35 PM »

I know, I know!!  Cheesy

It is a RAT pedal.

I have asked, and Peter says that it can be used with an electric guitar, in fact he says it can be used with anything but it works particularly well with his Octave fiddle.

I have noticed at gigs that when he is playing his solos on Bonny Black Hare, some people are looking at Julian thinking that the sound is coming from the guitar  Smiley

He also uses it on one of the Wintersmith tracks, but I can't think which one.
My Pastiegirl said after it was played at Skeggy  "Wow !!! How I loved that "Grungy" guitar sound " .  When I said it was Peters fiddle replied --"Genius---the mans a genius "

Oh and now I'm revising my Crimbo wish list . I want one .  Fez

I have just ordered one of these- from ---  http://www.gak.co.uk/en/proco-rat-2/5435 with my saved Crimbo dosh . Lets see if I can get "That" sound I crave when it comes . .

You are what you eat !!!
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2014, 08:23:24 PM »

How sad am I ?
 I have 219 Steeleye Span tracks on my I-Pod . The I=Pod is plugged into my car stereo with "Play All Continually "  function set . I have just passed the 150 tracks mark and still not got even slightly fed up .
In fact I have very much enjoyed my driving recently.
Am I becoming OSSD ?   =(Obsessive Steeleye Span Disorder).

You are what you eat !!!
Geoffrey

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2014, 08:53:41 PM »

Hi Trev
you're not alone in enjoying the OSSD compulsion, and you're not fed up with it yet, because there's such a wealth and variety in SS music to enjoy. Enjoy !
Greg E

« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2014, 10:57:50 PM »

Still no proper Park Records website, just a holding page for Maddy's tour. (which has now finished)

What in God's name are they doing (Park Records that is). You can't even buy a Steeleye cd from their record company at the moment...!!!!!!   Shocked
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2014, 07:36:36 AM »

What in God's name are they doing (Park Records that is).

Same as it ever was....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Claire M

Loc: Brampton

Lifelong Spanner

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2014, 12:04:07 PM »

Hiya! You never get tired of a decent band, Trev.
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2014, 11:23:47 AM »

I had the chance to interview Ken Nicol last night as he is partway through his Australian tour.  The conversation covered matters such as Steeleye Span, the rigours of touring, his continual learning curve with the guitar, the questions of technicality vs melody and making music that’s distinctively personal – and more.

The audio is now up on the show blog: : http://rootsandbranchesaustralia.wordpress.com/interviews/ken-nicol-2014/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
peascod

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2014, 07:53:27 PM »

BGO records are releasing remastered CDs for Live at Last and Sails of Silver, Catalog No. BGOCD1147, 2 on 1 CD for £9.99, listed as a new release for May.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2014, 10:28:03 PM »

I will definitely get Live at Last, as it was the line-up I saw live in my youth. Not so sure about Sails of Silver.

About time they remastered Storm Force Ten. My wife bought it for me for Christmas. She must have paid a fortune for a second hand copy.

Paul

Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2014, 01:31:20 AM »

Surely, Storm Force Ten, Live at Last and Sails of Silver were all released, remastered, on the second Parcel of Steeleye set? Unless you're that bothered about having individual CDs, this is by far the best way to buy old Steeleye albums on CD.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2014, 09:10:16 AM »

Surely, Storm Force Ten, Live at Last and Sails of Silver were all released, remastered, on the second Parcel of Steeleye set? Unless you're that bothered about having individual CDs, this is by far the best way to buy old Steeleye albums on CD.

It's certainly the cheapest, but is the mastering the same as on the  forthcoming BGos??
Claire M

Lifelong Spanner

« Reply #113 on: May 13, 2014, 06:22:52 PM »

Hiya !! I too love that sound, Trev, hope you get it.
My cds are OK, only problem was/is that I always drop 1 cd from those sets, which is usually the 1 I want to play the most. Love L@L, not too sure re SoS, said song real fav., great memories of Xmas choir singing it, w/o verses so they had to la-la them.  Depends how often you’ll play your cds. Can cds wear out? I keep dreaming of upcoming SS gigs (does anyone else??) they’re so good, hope there’s one soon. 1 of the many things I continue to be surprised by is how good bands I’ve discovered since becoming re-acquainted w/ SS are.
Vivienne

« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2014, 12:12:19 PM »

Wow, Steeleye have finally got a website!
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »

I was about to post that too: http://steeleyespan.org.uk/

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Claire M

Lifelong Spanner

« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2014, 07:09:54 PM »

Hiya,

Think that should have its own topic. I love b & w & the bg design looks like the wallpaper in my flat – nice font too. Now for tour dates near Cambs/MK…….
Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2014, 09:24:24 AM »

At last!  I love the cover photo.

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
Geoffrey

« Reply #118 on: May 18, 2014, 10:38:43 PM »

looking good, but is it any thing to do with Park ? Why , I wonder, when you click for details of albums, you get sent straight to Amazon ? Aren't Park selling direct any more ? You can buy from other suppliers, not just Amazon. Surely no-one has a monopoly on selling SS albums.
What about some choice of retailer ??
Greg E

« Reply #119 on: May 20, 2014, 09:03:14 PM »

hmm. When you go to the Park Records Website (now much paired back) they also point you towards Amazon to buy Wintersmith and no longer list any other albums, at all, by any artist.

Definitely changes going on but sadly the rest of the band are not that active on Social Media (unlike Peter of course Smiley ) so probably not find out for a while. I wonder if they 'sold' the record company part of the business (or just disbanded it) and are just a 'promotions' company. Maybe they (Park Records) are winding down completely...

Interesting...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: