TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 06:59:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: When We Were Very Young "new" Swarb & Simon release  (Read 20048 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2010, 08:55:04 PM »

Well, my many of my favourite Sloths come from the 4 piece early 80s lineup (either Bruce or DM, Peggy, Simon and Swarb) so im sure these guys could cut it wonderfully.  Chris on the fiddle though please.

Well yes, I take your point but Ric has to be involved so two fiddle solos?
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »

Well, my many of my favourite Sloths come from the 4 piece early 80s lineup (either Bruce or DM, Peggy, Simon and Swarb) so im sure these guys could cut it wonderfully.  Chris on the fiddle though please.

I didn't mention Ric, and I said 'these guys'!  Make your own mind up...  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2010, 10:08:44 PM »

I didn't mention Ric, and I said 'these guys'!  Make your own mind up...  Grin

Er...OK  Huh Well, I am assuming that any regular re-engagement with the song would have to be performed by the current line up. That was really what I was suggesting. I reckon they could do a great version too.

I have never heard a take by the late 70s/early 80s line ups or even by the Angel Delight line up but Simon's playing on the When We Were Very Young version really makes me want to.

Edit: I tell a lie. The version from The Airing Cupboard Tapes is from '71 isn't it. I am listening to it now and I think it backs up my original thought.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:27 PM »

What I was really saying was that Sloth doesn't need Richard, even though everybody thinks it does.  

I also happen to think that Chris Leslie is one of the best fiddle players in the world, and, ultimately, it frustrates the hell out of me that he doesn't get to play it very often.  Its always struck me as like having John Entwistle in the band and making him play keyboards (that's exaggeration for dramatic effect in case you didn't guess!)

The current lineup could definitely do a great Sloth.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2010, 10:43:38 PM »

Yes. It is a debate for a different thread really but I always thought it was an odd decision. Chris is, as you say, a remarkable fiddle player but when Maart left the band it was surely not a fiddle player that they were in the market for. I just think they enjoyed his company so much during his stint in 92 that they wanted him in the band one way or another.

I saw Fairport at Gosport Festival in 92 after Ric had his accident and the line up was Simon, Peggy, DM, Maart & Chris, one of the most electrifying and memorable Fairport gigs I have ever been to.

I'm not sure there is any question that Sloth can survive without Richard. There are some very fine versions by the Nine/Rising line ups. The bigger doubt may be how it works without Swarb. I'm not sure if that has ever been attempted (RT's solo performances excepted).
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2010, 06:39:30 AM »

Yes. It is a debate for a different thread really but I always thought it was an odd decision. Chris is, as you say, a remarkable fiddle player but when Maart left the band it was surely not a fiddle player that they were in the market for. I just think they enjoyed his company so much during his stint in 92 that they wanted him in the band one way or another.

I saw Fairport at Gosport Festival in 92 after Ric had his accident and the line up was Simon, Peggy, DM, Maart & Chris, one of the most electrifying and memorable Fairport gigs I have ever been to.

I'm not sure there is any question that Sloth can survive without Richard. There are some very fine versions by the Nine/Rising line ups. The bigger doubt may be how it works without Swarb. I'm not sure if that has ever been attempted (RT's solo performances excepted).

Pretty sure it has been in the early Maart days?  Or maybe my memory is up the spoint (No...just googled and there are several versions from '86 - Gottenburg (Apr, 86), Sheffield (18/1/86)...I'm pretty certain I have one or both of those on tape)

I was at that Gosport Festival gig too.  I agree!

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2010, 09:11:12 AM »

What I was really saying was that Sloth doesn't need Richard, even though everybody thinks it does.  

I also happen to think that Chris Leslie is one of the best fiddle players in the world, and, ultimately, it frustrates the hell out of me that he doesn't get to play it very often.  Its always struck me as like having John Entwistle in the band and making him play keyboards (that's exaggeration for dramatic effect in case you didn't guess!)

The current lineup could definitely do a great Sloth.

I think Jerry D would have disagreed
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »

Yes. It is a debate for a different thread really but I always thought it was an odd decision. ....

Pretty sure it has been in the early Maart days?  Or maybe my memory is up the spoint (No...just googled and there are several versions from '86 - Gottenburg (Apr, 86), Sheffield (18/1/86)...I'm pretty certain I have one or both of those on tape)

The band did a very powerful  and impressive Sloth with Maart in Gothenburgh 1986. To my mind one of the best version and the boys did a good job vocally too.
I´m pretty sure today´s band can do a good Sloth even if neither Swarb or RT - or JD for that matter - is up there on the stage.

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2010, 11:46:31 AM »

I was at that Gosport Festival gig too.  I agree!

That Sheffield gig would have been the first time I saw Fairport - while I was at Uni.  Date sounds right.  Can't at this distance remember what they did or didn't play (and didn't know the repertoire well enough at that time anyway!

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Maart
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Northwest Wales

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2010, 12:54:26 PM »

Is there something online about Gothenburg 86?
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »

I'd love to see a Woodworm Archives release that includes Sloth from the Maart/DM era.  I'd also enjoy hearing Sloth interpreted by the current lineup with no guests.  To stay somewhat on topic, I really dug the two-man version of Sloth on When We Were Very Young.  If someone only knew the song from that version, they'd be like, "nothing is missing."  Then I'd expose 'em to a live recording with drums, lead guitar, and a 2.5-minute Dave Pegg bass solo.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2010, 07:26:03 PM »

I'd love to see a Woodworm Archives release that includes Sloth from the Maart/DM era.  I'd also enjoy hearing Sloth interpreted by the current lineup with no guests.  To stay somewhat on topic, I really dug the two-man version of Sloth on When We Were Very Young.  If someone only knew the song from that version, they'd be like, "nothing is missing."  Then I'd expose 'em to a live recording with drums, lead guitar, and a 2.5-minute Dave Pegg bass solo.

That'll do for me!!!!  Grin Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2010, 07:33:46 PM »

I've just looked at my (easily to get at, at least) recordings and I've got versions of Sloth from the SN, DM, DP, MA, RS lineup recorded at

Sir George Robey, Finsbury Park, London England 1985.10.25

Carnegie Theatre, Workington, UK, 4th December 1985

Bottom Line, NYC, 1986-10-04

Can't put my hands on either of the other two mentioned just now....

folkfreak (Alexander)
My EMI doesn't have the dropouts

Loc: Ludwigshafen, Germany

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »

Is there something online about Gothenburg 86?

I don't know one, but there is a Bottom Line Soundboard from 1986 with a 20 Minute Sloth version with Smoke on the water and Aqualung riff included....

Chers
Alex
Red Shoes (Caz+Mark)
never built a bear in my life
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Birmingham

The bass player's back !

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2010, 08:06:14 PM »

Have just listened to this.

Patchy sound quality renders it more of a curio than essential listening but Simon's playing on Sloth makes me think the song could and should be rehabilitated by the current Fairport line up. Solos from Simon (acoustic), Peggy, Ric & Chris (mandolin). That would be splendid I think.

Pretty please Simon?

Oh yes Grin, Chris has had a fine tutor Wink

C x

Back working on new album, with Peggy on base and a certain fiddle player who should be knighted :-)
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:41 AM »

The photos inside take me back to seeing them playing in a pub (can't for the life of me remember where) somewhere around this time.

They certainly took me back in time, too!  Wink
Early April, 1983.

Waited for some time to get this, since I have most of the tracks on different CD.s, but still, it´s nice to have a good compilation and at the same time support the musos, not the least.
For me it was also nice to see the good radio recording from Uppsala being used as a source.  Smiley

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
dooovall [Daniel]

Loc: Ohio

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2022, 12:30:38 PM »

I just took another look at some of the liner notes in the booklet from When We Were Very Young.

I noticed that there's a "WHERE AND WHEN" list of venues lettered A through I.  The letter H denotes "Butterfield Centre, Cincinnati  1st October 1982" and the letter I denotes "Mick Noll's Covington Haus, Cincinnati  16th April 1984".

There's a bold-faced letter to the right of the writing credits for each track.  None of those letters are H or I.

The last words on the back of the booklet are "With thanks to Steve Carson for long lost Cincinnati tapes".
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2022, 12:56:14 PM »

I've just looked at my (easily to get at, at least) recordings and I've got versions of Sloth from the SN, DM, DP, MA, RS lineup recorded at

I'm pretty sure that the Robey gig was the first ever performance by the Ric / Maart line-up... some friends went but I did not bother as I had been to Cropredy just a couple of months earlier. Now I'm gutted that I did not go, even 'though I saw 'em at Greenwich shortly after.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2022, 01:00:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure that the Robey gig was the first ever performance by the Ric / Maart line-up... some friends went but I did not bother as I had been to Cropredy just a couple of months earlier. Now I'm gutted that I did not go, even 'though I saw 'em at Greenwich shortly after.

I seem to remember we had a discussion about this some time ago...it's amazing how close the debut of the new line up was to the final dates of the old one (including a couple of post-Cropredy performances in Europe with RT and JD).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: