TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
November 13, 2019, 12:49:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: STOLEN: My tenor banjo.  (Read 29131 times)
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 02:11:17 PM »

Reported to the cops. Crime number and local copshop phone are on the posters I've taken to all the local music and pawn shops.

My insurers have blustered their way out of covering it as I put it down and turned my back on it (albeit only for 20 seconds) so I wasn't taking due care.

They are technically correct there Mike. It's a bit like people leaving their keys in the car whilst they go and pay for petrol, and the car gets stolen. However, if you make enough noise and can show what you've done since to recover your property you may be able to get something. It's worth pestering them.

Totally agree. All you've done is the equivalent of putting an object on the ground whilst trying to get keys from your pocket, or get change for a taxi. You did not leave it for an extended period of time. You must have left it very close to you. Ask THEM the question, what in their opinion is a reasonable period of time for an object to be placed on the floor within an arms reach of you.

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 02:42:45 PM »

20 seconds isn't neglect of the banjo, it's neglect of the friend you embraced whilst the banjo was on the ground.

Argue.

I have no idea what you mean by this sorry Andy!

Confusion will be my epitaph
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »

What I meant was two-fold.

1) a facetious remark because Mike was embracing a friend to say goodbye when his banjo was nicked
2) it's always worth arguing with an insurance company's initial decision to turn down a claim.

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »

Reported to the cops. Crime number and local copshop phone are on the posters I've taken to all the local music and pawn shops.

My insurers have blustered their way out of covering it as I put it down and turned my back on it (albeit only for 20 seconds) so I wasn't taking due care.

They are technically correct there Mike. It's a bit like people leaving their keys in the car whilst they go and pay for petrol, and the car gets stolen. However, if you make enough noise and can show what you've done since to recover your property you may be able to get something. It's worth pestering them.

Totally agree. All you've done is the equivalent of putting an object on the ground whilst trying to get keys from your pocket, or get change for a taxi. You did not leave it for an extended period of time. You must have left it very close to you. Ask THEM the question, what in their opinion is a reasonable period of time for an object to be placed on the floor within an arms reach of you.

Or do they think it's possible for us all to juggle any amount of items whilst trying to put ones hands in ones pockets... At some stage, everybody has to put things down...

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere.
neil fatea

Loc: Poole, Dorset

Static Electricity Why?

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2010, 10:35:40 PM »

Mike,

its an opening position from the insurer and one that you shouldn't be satisfied with or have to put up with. Its the opening we'll say no and hope they go away gambit. They have to abide by a code called treating customers fairly(TCF) that's come from the FSA. If you're not happy with their decision ask to raise a complaint against that. Always worth mentioning insurance ombusman. It sounds as they are being unreasonable

Cheers

Neil

May the sun always shine on your head and the shadow ne'er enter your days
http://www.fatea-magazine.co.uk
http://www.fatea-showcase-sessions.co.uk
hurdygurdyman (Paul)
Banjo music is happy music

Loc: Shrewsbury, Shropshire

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2010, 01:25:05 PM »

Hi Mike -  the Musicians Union offers free instrument all risks cover for £2k.  Costs you your annual membership, which varies according to your musical income (!) but you do get a lot of other benfits as well - public liability for £10 million, free legal advice, etc.   Other insurance companies can be so picky - my last one only covered accidental damage that occurred when you weren't playing it.  So if you put your banjo down and trod on it, not covered.  Someone else trod on it, you were.  Never understood that one at all.

And I hope you get your banjo back.  Banjo music is happy music Smiley  

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got swing
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I hope nobody thought they were MY sideburns
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2010, 06:00:18 PM »

Hi Mike -  the Musicians Union offers free instrument all risks cover for £2k.  Costs you your annual membership, which varies according to your musical income (!) but you do get a lot of other benfits as well - public liability for £10 million, free legal advice, etc.   Other insurance companies can be so picky - my last one only covered accidental damage that occurred when you weren't playing it.  So if you put your banjo down and trod on it, not covered.  Someone else trod on it, you were.  Never understood that one at all.

And I hope you get your banjo back.  Banjo music is happy music Smiley  

It's because when you claim off someone for damaging your property you are suing them, and you can't sue yourself! You can usually take out extra "accidental damage" cover tho to cover this sort of mishap.

Confusion will be my epitaph
Paul Mitchell
keeping my programme handy

Loc: Doncaster

Drawing lions is not my strong point

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2010, 07:28:06 PM »

this kind of thing makes me sick. people respect absolutely nothing these days.

my condolences, you really learn to love your instruments, and it's pretty much heartbreaking when something like this happens.

I could stop myself saying stupid things if I wanted.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oxford

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 11:56:31 AM »

This story now has a happy ending. A chap who privately purchased my banjo back in 2012 has got in touch with me this morning, having been doing some research on the banjo and finding the report of it being stolen. All being well, I will get it back when I visit Edinburgh next month Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

SELECT fromName, `subject`, body
FROM smf_personal_messages
INNER JOIN smf_pm_recipients ON smf_personal_messages.ID_PM = smf_pm_recipients.ID_PM
WHERE smf_pm_recipients.ID_MEMBER = 4333
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 12:02:58 PM »

This story now has a happy ending. A chap who privately purchased my banjo back in 2012 has got in touch with me this morning, having been doing some research on the banjo and finding the report of it being stolen. All being well, I will get it back when I visit Edinburgh next month Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Wow!  There's a turn up for the books.  Great!  The poor bloke who bought it not knowing it was stolen will presumably be out of pocket though?

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 01:29:24 PM »

But its only worth a tenor! Cheesy
Congrats on getting it back. Hope its in as good a nick as when you last saw it.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
PaulT
Memory jogger
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 01:41:36 PM »

If it's not, there'll be a lot of cows with sore arses.

Seriously - that's an uplifting tale, Mike!  Smiley

Said the straight man, to the late man...
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 02:31:45 PM »

*likey*, mikey!!!

it'll be fine.......
MikeB (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 05:01:43 PM »

Wow!  There's a turn up for the books.  Great!  The poor bloke who bought it not knowing it was stolen will presumably be out of pocket though?

Jules

No chance of that happening Jules! As soon as we confirmed it was definitely the same instrument, I offered him the amount he paid for it plus the original reward I was offering back in 2010 and I've already set aside a bottle of homemade blackberry whisky to give as an additonal non-monetary thankyou.

INNER JOIN smf_pm_recipients ON smf_personal_messages.ID_PM = smf_pm_recipients.ID_PM
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »

No chance of that happening Jules! As soon as we confirmed it was definitely the same instrument, I offered him the amount he paid for it plus the original reward I was offering back in 2010 and I've already set aside a bottle of homemade blackberry whisky to give as an additonal non-monetary thankyou.

Oh right, so it's you that's out of pocket then, having to buy the same instrument twice.  A crying shame.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
MikeB (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 07:03:56 PM »

Oh right, so it's you that's out of pocket then, having to buy the same instrument twice.  A crying shame.

Jules

Thankfully, he paid significantly less than its worth so it is an amount I am more than happy to pay to regain a treasured friend I thought I would never see again Cheesy

Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 07:14:45 PM »

Brilliant news Mike, and a great gesture on your part to both reimburse and reward the guy.
Two very honourable gentlemen!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 07:49:15 PM »

Brilliant. Pleased for you

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 10:46:00 PM »

Great stuff!

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 12:17:26 AM »

Good news!

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: