TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:11:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RTB "Dream Attics" UK tour dates.  (Read 50088 times)
Tertonmike

Loc: Dublin

Still At It...

« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2011, 04:13:56 PM »

Bristol on Saturday was absolutely spiffing! Is that RT a genius, or what?

The band were superb throughout.

A wonderful experience.

Hear, hear.  Even from Row N in the balcony!

I thought the sound took a few minutes to settle down at the start but maybe it was just my ancient ears acclimatising themselves.  After that, all was as marvellous as we had hoped and expected.

Well worth the trip!

"Music is the antidote
To the world of pain and sorrow"
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:19 PM »

Bristol on Saturday was absolutely spiffing! Is that RT a genius, or what?

The band were superb throughout.

A wonderful experience.

Hear, hear.  Even from Row N in the balcony!

I thought the sound took a few minutes to settle down at the start but maybe it was just my ancient ears acclimatising themselves.  After that, all was as marvellous as we had hoped and expected.

Well worth the trip!

OK, agreed about the sound initially  Wink

We were in Row J downstairs.

Isn't it just amazing how he keeps coming up with new lyrical and musical ideas and keeping it fresh and unrepetitive?

Only listened to the album once before the concert, but the songs are almost without exception very strong and seemed familiar right off the bat.

I was overwhelmed to hear Wall of Death and Take Care the Road You Choose in the second half.

Glad you thought it well worth the trip - you came from a bit further afield than us!

DC
Nick the Stick
distracted by some wiggly string
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Eastbourne

Alright here?

« Reply #82 on: January 24, 2011, 06:22:40 PM »

I've often thought this about RT. So people slip into their dotage and quite happily go downhill very rapidly, others continue to recycle old stuff over and over, but Richard seems ever upwards.
Long my it continue.

spooley (Simon)

« Reply #83 on: January 24, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »

I, too, thought the Bristol concert was phenomenally good (even if he did omit Crimescene!) particularly from my privileged 'row A' seat!

Superb guitar workouts on If love whispers your name and Can't win.  Excellent band enthusiasm and enjoyment throughout, particularly the rollicking Sydney Wells and the sublime Al Bowlly...  I don't think I've ever attended a concert where the time has slipped past so quickly.

And what a contrast with the previous RT concert I attended ... Nutmeg & Ginger at the Cadogan Hall in December.  How can OH slip so readily from Elizabethan broadsheet ballads on traditional instruments to a no-holes-barred rock show?  Incredible!

Simon.
Dr Clive

« Reply #84 on: January 25, 2011, 10:55:45 AM »

We were priveleged to see Nutmeg & Ginger, too. RT's latest Q & A indicates that a recording of N & G exists but no immediate plans for a release...

DC
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #85 on: January 25, 2011, 05:09:35 PM »

Luckily there appears to be somebody already on tour who can take care of the backstage catering...  Grin

[attachment deleted by admin]

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Dr Clive

« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »

Good spot, Skirky!

DC
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #87 on: January 25, 2011, 07:10:03 PM »

We were priveleged to see Nutmeg & Ginger, too. RT's latest Q & A indicates that a recording of N & G exists but no immediate plans for a release...

DC

i can confirm that at least one recording of Nutmeg and ginger exists Roll Eyes

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #88 on: January 26, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »

Aplogies if this has been mentioned elsewhere but there is an excellent interview with RT in the current issue of Mojo from which I gleaned at least two interesting snippets.

1. His own favourite amongst his albums happens to be my favourite too: Mock Tudor

2. There will be a collection of his BBC sessions released sometime this year. Definitely looking forward to that.

Eight days until the Brighton gig. Can't wait.
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #89 on: January 26, 2011, 09:33:59 AM »

Glasgow last night - absolutely magnificent.

No Crime Scene or Bad Again in the first half - the Dream Attic songs though are developing & maturing in performance - Demons in her Dancing Shoes, Big Sun & Sidney Wells particularly stood out for me.  And the whole of the second half was outstanding - I can't remember hearing him play the Angels Took My Racehorse Away live before & with the fiddle involved it was remarkably faithful to the original version on Henry the Human Fly.

Best of all the cameras were on hand & the whole show was filmed for posterity. Grin

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #90 on: January 26, 2011, 09:53:32 AM »

Official cameras?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #91 on: January 26, 2011, 09:55:16 AM »

To be shown on Sky Arts end-Feb or beginning-March, according to someone in the know...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »

Great. Now to organise getting Sky Arts. I had Sky Arts free with Virgin but have to pay extra with Sky. That seems wrong!

Lets hope the sound guy is not the same one as used at Cropredy.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #93 on: January 26, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »

To be shown on Sky Arts end-Feb or beginning-March, according to someone in the know...

I did wonder - BBC Scotland usually have a Celtic Connections highlights programme but as old Whispering Bob came on to introduce Richard & the band that led me to think this might be for someone else such as Sky Arts.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2011, 12:49:12 AM »

Stonkingly good gig at Warwick tonight.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2011, 01:26:59 PM »

Stonkingly good gig at Warwick tonight.

First time we've been to a full RT gig (apart from Nutmeg & Ginger), and, boy, did we choose a good one......brilliant!!!

S&J
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #96 on: January 31, 2011, 01:35:41 PM »

Oxford was full last night too....we got an extra encore!

Hey Joe was yelled from the audience, and as RT doers often, tried to plasy a few chords before usually giving up.....but his band were quick off the mark leaving RT with a problem in how to get out of it....he sang a couple of verses before getting the band to a tight finish...

David VB

Loc: Abingdon

« Reply #97 on: January 31, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »

On really fine form at Oxford. Particularly enjoyed Michael Jerome on the drums, though the whole band was very tight. New album sounded even better than expected and particularly good to get some explanations.  I had been a bit confused by the line about polar bears in the desert!

From where I was sitting upstairs it sounded like Hey Joe was a response to RT mishearing a request for Persuasion which was called out. (After playing it he then said "no, we don't know that"!)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #98 on: January 31, 2011, 04:47:31 PM »

Someone did shout for Hey Joe....but he then refused Persuasion, point blank - probably because the band (other than Pete Z) didn't know it - and the fact that he wanted to play the two encores that were on the set list.

Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #99 on: February 02, 2011, 01:08:19 AM »

A fork-bendingly brilliant evening at a sold-out Anvil in Basingstoke tonight. Dream Attic was played beautifully, the songs on the album, although originally recorded live, acted as templates for the band to stretch out on them live, particularly mellifluous fiddler Joel Zifkin. The only omission I can remember from the album was Here Comes Geordie.
After the interval came stunning versions of The Angels Took My Racehorse Away, One Door Opens, Al Bowlly's In Heaven (complete with an off-the-wall cymbal solo from the octopus-limbed Michael Jerome), Take Care The Road You Choose, and Can't Win.
The fret melting intensity of Can't Win must've ruptured the innards of RT's amp as his tech had to switch him over to a spare for a spontaneous version of Hey Joe (as detailed in previous posts, they managed about three minutes worth), Wall Of Death, Tear Stained Letter, concluding with Man In Need.
The band, also including the almighty Pete Zorn on at least seven instruments, enthusiastic and solid bass anchor Taras Prodaniuk, were probably one of the finest touring units I shall see this or any other year. And Richard himself, armed with a baby-blue Stratocaster, was effusive and enthusiastic about how well it all seemed to be going, even affectionately lampooning the demographic of the Basingstoke audience.
A fantastic night...long may he reign !
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: