TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:10:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2011  (Read 79941 times)
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2010, 01:52:21 PM »

I have a mate dithering about whether to come to Colchester with me. What should I play him?

history of

oh and babbacombe lee
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2010, 01:57:23 PM »

I can't help thinking that if I lend him a 1972 compilation album he's going to be more than a little surprised at what he finds onstage at The Arts Centre...  Wink

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2010, 02:35:12 PM »

I can't help thinking that if I lend him a 1972 compilation album he's going to be more than a little surprised at what he finds onstage at The Arts Centre...  Wink

Play the first four or five tracks from the Cropredy 08 CD, then the John Gaudie from the same CD.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2010, 02:47:27 PM »

good point, they are a totally different band nowdays
go for neils option
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2010, 11:38:40 PM »

Tickets are not yet available from St David's Hall Cardiff for FCs Wintour gig, but will be "very soon". Anyone hoping to attend this venue - keep yer eyes peeled on their website. http://www.stdavidshallcardiff.co.uk/  Cheesy

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »

Play the first four or five tracks from the Cropredy 08 CD, then the John Gaudie from the same CD.

I lent him the '08 CD and now I'm not sure if he's coming to the gig, but he did ask where he should start with Sandy Denny...  Smiley

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2010, 12:59:24 PM »

Given that the tour will include material from the new album, this question sort of fits here:

Is the new album title "The Festival Bell" more or less disappointing than the fact that song will be on it?

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2010, 01:10:06 PM »

Given that the tour will include material from the new album, this question sort of fits here:

Is the new album title "The Festival Bell" more or less disappointing than the fact that song will be on it?

I don't mind the song itself but the general descriptions of the album and the emphasis on only playing material from the back catalogue that fits within the (cosy) dynamic of the current line up makes me fear that we will be getting Sense of Occasion 2. I guess we shouldn't pre-judge it though.

I have bought tickets for Union Chapel on my birthday and am thoroughly looking forward to Babbacombe Lee and whatever else the chaps bring to the party.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #128 on: October 27, 2010, 03:42:58 PM »

Well, we don't HAVE to buy the new cd do we?  Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #129 on: October 27, 2010, 04:30:47 PM »

I like The Festival Bell. It's a good old-fashioned story song, and Simon plays 'leccy on it! I know they will be, but I'm not looking forward to having Wouldn't Say No, and Ruiz's Guitar on the album; faaaar too MOTR and schmaltzy.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #130 on: October 27, 2010, 06:22:37 PM »

I like The Festival Bell. It's a good old-fashioned story song, and Simon plays 'leccy on it! I know they will be, but I'm not looking forward to having Wouldn't Say No, and Ruiz's Guitar on the album; faaaar too MOTR and schmaltzy.

Yeah Ollie, I'm partial to a bit of Simon 'leccy.  Not enough of it of late, I say.

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #131 on: October 27, 2010, 08:21:24 PM »

I guess we shouldn't pre-judge it though.

Unfortunately with all the 'lets get the potential audience involved from the start and tell them everything about it', we don't really have a choice do we.

I'm afraid I've already decided I won't like it.  I don't want to think that, I just do.  But I'll probably buy it and be disappointed rather than not buying it, so I suppose, ultimately, it doesn't much matter.

I've played Sense of Occasion twice.  Last album I genuinely enjoyed (although it isn't perfect) was Jewel in the Crown over, gulp, 15 years ago.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #132 on: October 27, 2010, 08:38:06 PM »

I like The Festival Bell. It's a good old-fashioned story song, .

It always reminds me of the Beverly Hillbillies theme. Don't know why. "So they loaded up the truck and moved to Cropredy". Yeah, that's the one.
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #133 on: October 28, 2010, 08:58:09 PM »

If he's a total ignoramus, play him Led Zep IV and say that's Fairport.

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Shane (Skirky)
Global Moderator

« Reply #134 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:48 PM »

He isn't.  

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #135 on: October 29, 2010, 12:12:29 AM »

He'd be even more surprised!

Thank Drunk I'm God
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #136 on: October 29, 2010, 10:13:44 AM »

I'm very much looking forward to the new album. I'll admit I'm growing a little tired of The Festival Bell after hearing it so many times, but with any luck I will probably love the album version as much as I loved the song the first time round. Wouldn't Say No, Rui's Guitar and Danny Jack's Chase are all brilliant and a little more fresh in the repertoire than The Festival Bell and Ukulele Central, so I'm still very much in love with them.

The fact that the lads have had so much studio time shows me we are in for a great album, better than Sense of Occasion anyway.

Imponderable Joy
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #137 on: October 30, 2010, 12:17:58 PM »

Do you think the guys have pre-recoreded the narration parts that feature inbetween songs on the Babbacome Lee album to play on stage inbetween the BL songs on the tour? That would be much cooler than them just being introduced normally don't you think?

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #138 on: October 30, 2010, 02:55:17 PM »

Do you think the guys have pre-recoreded the narration parts that feature inbetween songs on the Babbacome Lee album to play on stage inbetween the BL songs on the tour? That would be much cooler than them just being introduced normally don't you think?

when they played BL live in 71/72(when they toured it after its release) i seem to remember they had the narration on tape

The Dude abides
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #139 on: October 30, 2010, 05:57:53 PM »

when they played BL live in 71/72(when they toured it after its release) i seem to remember they had the narration on tape

If they have it on tape this time I think we will be able to label that as "quaint".  Wink

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: