TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 02, 2014, 03:26:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ashley Hutchings and ken Nicol, Copper Russet and Gold  (Read 1149 times)
Geoffrey

« on: March 07, 2010, 04:20:48 PM »

I recently went to this Ashley and Ken concert, as part of their current tour. The venue was Central Studio at Basingstoke.
I'd originally sent this review as a personal email to a friend who said it should go on Talkawhile.
So , here it is.
Any other reviews from this tour, or has anyone heard the album ?

So we'd come into the foyer of Central Studio, and we noticed Ashley Hutchings sitting at a small table, selling a selection of CD's.

After we'd been  sitting down for a while, our friends arrived and while they were talking to Sarah I noticed Ashley had no customers, so I seized my opportunity to talk about old times with the Guv'nor.

To my surprise he remembered very well a particular concert in Winchester back in about 1988/9.
It was memorable for a number of things but especially the guest appearance of Kimberley Rew, guitarist from Katrina and the Waves.
Ashley remembered that very well, and I said that Phil Beer had been in the audience all night and had joined the band on stage at the end also. He didn't remember that bit !

That particular concert was a performance of Ashley's romantic work "By Gloucester Docks I sat Down and Wept"
I commented that I thought there was a live version of that album, and lo and behold he produced a copy, from the Bargain Box ! Price only £8 !

How could I not buy this directly from the man himself, with an opportunity to get it signed, too ?

I thanked him for all the music over the years ( Steeleye in particular) and he thanked me for my support. Just for a minute, there, it was the Geoff and Ashley mutual appreciation society.

The audience was small, only about 50 people, but we were fairly appreciative in the noise we made.
A lot of the material was from the new album. The two guys shared the vocals, and Ken played stunning acoustic guitar, sometimes very moving, other times at breakneck speed. there was poetry and humour, and quite a bit of reminiscing .
Ken told a few stories about recent events touring USA and Oz with Steeleye.

He also referred to a moment at Cropredy, about 1999, when FC played one of his songs "Wings", with Ashley on bass and Richard Thompson on guitar. He counted that as one of the milestones in his life. the song is basically a potted history of folk-rock (music by Ken, lyrics by Ashley, and recorded by the Albion Band)

Ken introduced an instrumental piece, which he said used to be called "Ken's Jigs and Reels" until Ashley pointed out that there were no jigs in it. so it became "Ken's Reels". Then someone else pointed out the lack of reels.

"So here it is .... Ken's Hornpipes !"

Two funny songs, one about Stratford on Avon and Shakespeare., and the other about Drake going bowling, but it's mixed up with images of modern ten pin bowling., including Drake having coke and chips instead of dealing with the Spanish ships !

Altogether a real fun evening with some great music.

For your own samples visit

http://www.youtube.com/user/ParkRecords  ( Ken's Hornpipes and the Five Barred Gate

http://www.myspace.com/parkrecordslabel  (I am Prologue)

( thanks Maz)

davidmjs
Neither political, nor correct
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Todmorden

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:39:40 PM »

He also referred to a moment at Cropredy, about 1999, when FC played one of his songs "Wings", with Ashley on bass and Richard Thompson on guitar. He counted that as one of the milestones in his life. the song is basically a potted history of folk-rock (music by Ken, lyrics by Ashley, and recorded by the Albion Band)

This was the 30th anniversary, '97 - it's on 'The Cropredy Box'....
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The Mosel Valley

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:51:10 PM »

Ken introduced an instrumental piece, which he said used to be called "Ken's Jigs and Reels" until Ashley pointed out that there were no jigs in it. so it became "Ken's Reels". Then someone else pointed out the lack of reels.

"So here it is .... Ken's Hornpipes !"

Blimey, they were telling that old chestnut back in the days when KN was in the Albions. Grin

Glad to see Ashley on the road again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: