TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 08:14:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871900 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1520 on: October 11, 2021, 07:12:35 PM »

There's a time and a place for Dead & Co...and they're great fun, but if you want a somewhat more challenging (arguably) take on the Dead's music...the expanded Bobby & the Wolf Bros lineup are (I think) fab and hit several spots for me.

See what you think https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-R00mSIIGk

Thanks David; Wolf Bros is behind the ear for later. Smiley

On another matter; I see on FB, someone in the UK has been clobbered with £63 excess charges on importing the new box set.  Shocked

I saw that...ouch!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1521 on: November 01, 2021, 04:50:16 PM »

It's November, so it must be time for "30 Days of Dead"  Smiley

https://www.dead.net/30daysofdead?eml=2021November1/5509162/6131962&etsubid=39909681

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1522 on: January 12, 2022, 11:02:51 AM »

I have a copy of the Europe '72 73-CD Box set for sale.  You either know what this is or you don't, but here's a link to the Discogs page https://www.discogs.com/release/3116404-Grateful-Dead-Europe-72-The-Complete-Recordings

This copy belonged to (and has a nameplate sticker for) Andy Roberts, renowned UK-based LSD historian and Stringhead etc etc.

Drop me a line if you're interested or know somebody that might be.  Loads of photos and further details.  It's in excellent nick.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1523 on: January 12, 2022, 11:37:22 AM »

I have a copy of the Europe '72 73-CD Box set for sale.  You either know what this is or you don't, but here's a link to the Discogs page https://www.discogs.com/release/3116404-Grateful-Dead-Europe-72-The-Complete-Recordings

This copy belonged to (and has a nameplate sticker for) Andy Roberts, renowned UK-based LSD historian and Stringhead etc etc.

Drop me a line if you're interested or know somebody that might be.  Loads of photos and further details.  It's in excellent nick.

Had the premium Bond come up this month I'd be first in the queue. Some of my favourite shows are in this set. I'll just have to content myself with  CDRs. Oh the pain.  Grin

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #1524 on: January 12, 2022, 11:37:59 AM »

swap it you for the cassettes 😉😁

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1525 on: January 12, 2022, 11:59:05 AM »

swap it you for the cassettes 😉😁

If only it existed on such mighty media.  I'm in...  Grin

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1526 on: January 12, 2022, 01:31:54 PM »

If I were to come into some serious money courtesy of "ERNIE" or his/her descendents...

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1527 on: January 12, 2022, 01:37:24 PM »

If I were to come into some serious money courtesy of "ERNIE" or his/her descendents...

It's a lot cheaper than a new bike, Paul. Grin

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1528 on: January 12, 2022, 04:16:17 PM »

Good point, well made...  Grin

Flobbadob!
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1529 on: March 22, 2022, 07:38:42 AM »

Dark Star Orchestra:

"We're heading to Europe! 🌍
Join us for the celebration of the 50th anniversary of 'Europe '72' with nine European performances in England, France, Germany and Italy September 13 - 25, 2022.
Every show will be a recreation of a historic Europe ‘72 tour performance; as we'll be performing in four of the exact cities from Europe ‘72, notably in Paris, France - at The Olympia - the very same venue the Grateful Dead performed on May 3, 1972.
Before we head to Europe, we'll bring a few Europe ‘72 recreations to life in the States - 50 years to the day! We'll recreate the Dead’s 4/8/72 show from Wembley Empire Pool London, England at the Skull & Roses Festival on April 8 in Ventura, CA. Additionally, we will take the Europe ‘50 Years Later’ recreation to The Capitol Theatre in Port Chester, NY on May 13, offering up the Dead’s performance from Lille, France from 5/13/72.
Adding to these two stateside performances is the presence and participation of Jerry Garcia’s ‘Alligator’ guitar; a 1955 Fender Stratocaster originally used by Jerry on the Europe 1972 tour, shared with DSO’s lead guitarist Jeff Mattson to handle and elevate the specific tones from this legendary instrument.
This historic Jerry Garcia instrument is provided for use at our shows with a special thanks to Grateful Guitars Foundation. Foundation’s Andy Logan. Logan states "Grateful Guitars is thrilled that Dark Star Orchestra is celebrating the Grateful Dead’s legendary Europe ’72 our’s 50th anniversary. We’re excited to celebrate some specific show anniversaries this year in the United States and especially to ‘take that ride again’ and tour Europe with the band and our loving tribe. We know this will enliven Deadheads around the world and will help ensure this music thrives for generations.”
Rob Barraco summarizes the magnitude of experience stating “It is an honor of my lifetime to pay tribute to such a transformative event that we all have come to know as Europe ‘72.”
Tickets for all European shows go on sale Friday, March 25 at 6 AM ET are available via our website.
Europe '72 50th Anniversary European Tour Dates:
9/13 - London, UK - Shepherd's Bush Empire
9/17 - Paris, France - The Olympia
9/18 - Cologne, Germany - Live Music Hall
9/19 - Frankfurt, Germany - Batschkapp
9/20 - Berlin, Germany - Astra Kulturhaus
9/22 - Munich, Germany - Muffathalle
9/23 - Milan, Italy - Santeria Toscana 31
9/24 - Florence, Italy - Teatro Puccini
9/25 - Rome, Italy - Monk"

Could be worth a punt  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1530 on: March 22, 2022, 08:03:34 AM »

Very tempted with the DSO, of course, but logistically not sure I'll go for it...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1531 on: September 29, 2022, 12:00:25 PM »

This is a beautiful bit of writing...

John Mayer on Jerry Garcia

This is the forward John wrote for Jay Blakesberg's book "Secret Space of Dreams"

https://www.woodstockartscollective.com/books

"I’m a good enough guitar player to know a great guitarist when I hear one, but I had to become an even better one to begin to understand the depth and complexity of Jerry Garcia’s playing.
I’ve always said that musicians play like they are, and in the case of Garcia, his performances serve as a detailed map of a man, his intentions, his desires, and his impressions of the world around him. And going by that map, Garcia was a lovely, mighty soul. I never met him, and will never understand the loss of those who did, but the vast archive of his music amounts to the makings of a starry night sky that turns listeners into explorers.
Several years ago I set out not just to learn Garcia’s approach to the guitar and the songs he played, but to learn what about it has allowed millions of people who don’t play the guitar to key into it for hours on end. Soloing has been known since its inception as a kind of self-indulgent expression. Why, then, could so many listeners, myself included, listen to him do it endlessly without fatigue?
To best understand what makes Garcia’s guitar playing so unique, it helps to start with what it sidesteps: though it drew from blues and R&B, his guitar approach left a few traditional elements out of the equation, he didn’t play from that well-worn feral, sexual place that traditional blues music traded in, nor did he really touch the sinister aspects that were born into the idiom. Garcia didn’t sing about wanting to rock a young woman all night long, and any of his deals with the devil existed metaphorically as mere setbacks. (What’s 20 bucks, anyway?) These changes affect the fundamental color palette of the storytelling. I’m not sure the sun ever rises in Chicago blues music, but in the musical storytelling of Garcia and the Grateful Dead, it shines so bright it hurts.
On a more technical note, he played most often in a major blues scale, which added to this mix of innocence, and even joy. Minor blues notes lend themselves to the exquisiteness of pain, while major blues scales kind of explore the relief from it. Garcia played to relieve people of pain. That melodic innocence must have something to do with bringing so many people to their “happy place.” He wasn’t pulling notes from an anguished place within, he was catching them with a butterfly net as they went flitting by overhead. On a tactile level, he held the guitar with grace. It wasn’t a weapon, it was a vehicle. He took it easy. He may have played fast, but he was thinking slow. And that makes us listen with a smile.
I put Jerry Garcia on the same level as Miles Davis and Bill Evans because of the intention in his performing; once you’ve learned all the notes, and the chords, and the bends and the runs, you come to the final frontier of playing which is the why of it all, and that’s where the power was and still is in his playing. He played from a real place, a place that faced out to the world, not for his own reception or gratification. He played for the joy of interacting with the band and with the music he loved. If you listen close enough to a musician, you can tell what they’re looking to get out of each and every note they make. Garcia, to me, was looking to bring music to life out of the tacit, sacred duty to use his gift. Even after learning these things, they offer very little help in sounding anything like the man. That’s because he didn’t play anything stock or repetitive. There are no “signature Jerry Garcia solo riffs” as exist with so many revered guitarists. To “sound like Jerry,” you have to make people feel like he did, and well—good luck with that.
The real magic—the kind that will make the Grateful Dead music live forever—that’s in the way we carry it on in our hearts and minds. I don’t listen to Garcia and the band play—I watch it. I believe we all do, and that what we see is a blend of the music, the year in which it was played, the season and location of the show so as to understand the state of mind the band was in that night, that week, that presidency. We see it differently from one another the way we do our own dreams, but we all agree that our dreams contain these songs, and this band, those places and names. And that’s how the Grateful Dead managed to freeze time. We discuss our favorite years in present tense; we say we just heard the best version of something last night as if that was the moment it first took place. Your favorite year of their music "wasn’t", it "is." And in that way, inside that beautiful dreamscape the band created, the Grateful Dead is still up there, still playing. And Jerry is right there in front of them, and time is held in place by those who refuse to let it fade, and even as we sleep, as long as one of us is listening, the band is still playing.
We lose the ones we love, we pine for those who have left, and we lament the changes of modern times. But the makers of this music dug a tunnel, and it runs beneath time and space, and we, the ones who love it like family, crawl through to visit 1974, and 1969, and 1987 and 1990. If we were alive at the time the show took place, we see ourselves as the people we were in the lives we had, and if we weren’t born yet, we get to wistfully dream what it must have been like.
We only get a few minutes on earth, and Jerry Garcia gave all his minutes so that we could forever visit his life and times through his playing, and let it unravel into a new kind of now." --- John Mayer on Jerry Garcia and The Grateful Dead

Signed copies of this book JERRY GARCIA SECRET SPACE OF DREAMS available at
https://www.woodstockartscollective.com/books

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1532 on: September 30, 2022, 04:25:46 PM »

Some great early footage I've not seen before.... Garcia tripping his proverbials off... perfection.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9yA3mNzWc8

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1533 on: October 12, 2022, 07:07:14 PM »

A much better than not bad covers band.... Guitarists are from Edie's New Bohemians, I believe....  Sounds like Jerry singing Bobby!  Well, I like it anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZORLEvuZaQ

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1534 on: October 30, 2022, 11:25:56 AM »

It was, gulp, 32 years ago today.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR0wWlaUbvkCzj9CDYC4BV1Xbkn7KHn_ltIirvlMsWajdjjtqIzYMGyBDX8&v=FoYqVVY0NMg&feature=youtu.be

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1535 on: July 18, 2023, 09:15:00 PM »

John Mayer after the 'final' (almost certainly not) Dead & Co show:

San Francisco, night 3/3. This music has made me a better player, and this band made me a better person. I was given the opportunity of a lifetime - to have access to the greatest songbook in modern music, and the deepest well of life memories shared by hundreds of thousands of Deadheads who extended their grace and acceptance to me. I learned to compromise, and to take other people’s chances along with them. I learned to play in real time, to express myself without the distraction of ambition or expectation. I learned to listen, to have musical conversation, and most importantly, to be a part of something much bigger than myself. It was never about me. It was bout “it” - that spirit that a band and a crowd could go looking for together. If I’ve done my job right, I’ll disappear into that beautiful tapestry, the one that began almost 60 years ago and will continue to expand for lifetimes to come. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for embracing me and my place in this band, and to Bob, Mickey, and Billy - I’ll never be able to fully express my gratitude for your taking a chance on me. Something magical happened on this tour, and I don’t think any of us saw it coming. Dead & Company is still a band - we just don’t know what the next show will be. I speak for us all when I say that I look forward to being shown the next shaft of light… I know we will all move towards it together. This band changed my life, and I love you all for it. An incredible tour, an unforgettable ride, and a beautiful world of memories to visit. I’ll be seeing you….

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1536 on: December 06, 2023, 08:14:18 AM »

If anybody is interested in any of a collection of official Dead (GD/Other Ones/The Dead etc) shirts from the 90s and 00s then drop me a line.  I got a collection from a friend of mine whose son sadly died, mainly as it had a mint Ratdog 2002 (one of my favourite ever shirts) in my size which made me skip around the room.  There's some really nice ones including a totally mint 1990 25 years Dead shirt from the Without a Net tour.  Sizes L and XL.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1537 on: January 05, 2024, 10:12:40 AM »

This is a great piece by the Camper van Beethoven man.  No hagiographic nonsense here...he's not really even a fan.  But he's put the hours in and he's got something out.  There's a Grateful Dead for everyone...

https://jsegel.wordpress.com/2021/11/30/listening-to-the-first-100-dark-stars/?fbclid=IwAR0Kc5MBuGkPg6svK_lIaR9k0g2r_Ny6Ku3VHDt55d3vwCgwexNWLuXNz5k

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1538 on: January 05, 2024, 03:51:09 PM »

This is a great piece by the Camper van Beethoven man.  No hagiographic nonsense here...he's not really even a fan.  But he's put the hours in and he's got something out.  There's a Grateful Dead for everyone...

https://jsegel.wordpress.com/2021/11/30/listening-to-the-first-100-dark-stars/?fbclid=IwAR0Kc5MBuGkPg6svK_lIaR9k0g2r_Ny6Ku3VHDt55d3vwCgwexNWLuXNz5k

Now that's what I call a rabbit hole
Wonderful and frightening😱

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1539 on: January 05, 2024, 04:03:33 PM »

Now that's what I call a rabbit hole
Wonderful and frightening😱

Feet first now, Jim Wink Grin

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: