TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:49:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871729 times)
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #1380 on: June 08, 2017, 05:58:59 PM »

Reckoned it was bit Garcia-centric..?

Lol.  That's hardly a surprise now, is it?

but I'm no fan of Bob Weir's vocals!!

Cheers,

Slippy

Cool

Interesting comment Al.   What is it about his voice that you don't like?
Personally, I've always rated his vocals.  Smiley

I just think his voice is 'ordinary' & lacking in character, whereas Garcia - whilst technically not a great vocalist - had a distinct and characterful voice...

Cheers,

Slippy Cool  
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1381 on: July 27, 2017, 11:40:16 PM »

Happy 40th Birthday "Terrapin Station".  Smiley

https://www.jambase.com/article/inspiration-celebrating-40-years-terrapin-station-terrapin-station-medley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1382 on: August 31, 2017, 07:54:49 PM »

Somebody posted this online...been years since I've listened.  An absolutely stonking JGB 'Deal' from 1990.  Enjoy....  Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tF1RSSk-Kh4&feature=share

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1383 on: October 13, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »

Live Dead '69, with Tom Constanten, Mark Karan & Slick Aguilar playing some UK dates in Feb 2018.

From their FB page 11 October at 18:06 ·

"LIVE DEAD ‘69 have announced shows for their triumphant UK return, following their debut in Jan. of this year. The All-Star, legacy ensemble, are set to expand their concept and repertoire for 2018. Their seven winter shows last February have assumed a certain mythology amongst UK Deadheads … the finale at London’s much regarded Under The Bridge concert venue was sold out and video of the performance has been widely circulated on the web. A recent U.S. performance was played on “The Grateful Dead Hour” syndicated radio show.

Comprised of:
Tom Constanten, original Grateful Dead pianist, inducted into The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and was essential to Grateful Dead’s first 2 experimental studio recordings “Anthem of The Sun” and “Aoxomoxoa.”

Mark Karan, lead guitarist with Bob Weir’s Rat Dog and The Other Ones, who is also a regular member in the rotating line-up of Phil Lesh & the Terrapin Family band.

Slick Aguilar played lead guitar with David Crosby Band 1982-1985. That tear he co-founded KBC, and played lead guitar in Paul Kantner’s Jefferson Starship for 2,000 shows over 30 years, longer than any other musician.

Richard Newman, acclaimed drummer, just recorded Robert Plant’s new single. He also tours with Paul Rodgers, as well as Deb Bonham - He played extensively in Jefferson Starship including for their only ever shows in Brazil, Sweden and Serbia. He was one of Paul Kantner’s all time favorite drummers.

Tony Morley, UK multi-instrumentalist - a long time member of Jefferson Starship, having appeared with them for throughout the world for 13 years - including Japan.

Live Dead ‘69 shall perform the first 2 live Grateful Dead albums (“Live Dead recorded in 1969, and “Skull & Roses” in 1971) in their entirety, with assorted other selections and truckload of improvisation. Their unique familiarity with Grateful Dead’s halcyon material implies an improvisational prowess that shall be on full display."

02/02/18 Under The Bridge, London
03/02/18 Under The Bridge, London
04/02/18 The Cheese & Grain, Frome
06/02/18 Robin 2, Bilston
07/02/18 Fibbers, York
08/02/18 Backstage At The Green, Kinross
09/02/18 The Sage, Gateshead

As it says, the UtB gig was pretty special. Already looking forward to seeing them again..  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1384 on: October 13, 2017, 02:09:14 PM »

If, as I hope, college and weather and car availability permit, I'll be back at the Robin for more of the same.  They were well worth watching last year.  If you're remotely interested in the Dead, do go and enjoy.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #1385 on: October 26, 2017, 07:17:01 AM »

This may interest the Heads amongst us.

https://www.jambase.com/article/grateful-dead-renews-30-days-dead-free-download-series-november-2017

No Left Turn Unstoned
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1386 on: November 01, 2017, 12:26:12 AM »

Another couple of dates added to the Dead '69 tour:

11/02/18 - Royal Leamington Spa ENG/ Zephyr
12/02/18 - Cardiff WALES/ The Globe

Cardiff is almost local.  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1387 on: November 01, 2017, 09:09:56 AM »

Another couple of dates added to the Dead '69 tour:

11/02/18 - Royal Leamington Spa ENG/ Zephyr
12/02/18 - Cardiff WALES/ The Globe

Cardiff is almost local.  Smiley

You had Bilston anyway...that's only a handful of miles further, isn't it?

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1388 on: November 01, 2017, 09:54:29 AM »

30 days of the dead 2017 now up
First up; Uncle John's Band

The Dude abides
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1389 on: November 12, 2017, 04:28:12 PM »

One certainly can't accuse the young 'un in Dead & Company of not taking it seriously.  John Mayer has just posted this on FB:

"We’re about to begin what I believe in my heart will be the best tour so far for Dead & Company. Something is definitely spinning up in the air around us. But as I sit at the end of my bed with my guitar in my hands I feel like I need to post this. I’m only here as an interpreter of a master. This band has developed a soul all its own but I play in constant emotional, psychological and musical deference to Jerry Garcia. I suppose I thought it would become easier each tour to stand on that stage and go reaching for that sound and those colors, but it in some ways it gets harder - the deeper I go into the music, the more I realize what it deserves. Just know that with every show we play, I’ll never forget why it is I’m standing there. This is the great ongoing privilege of my life. See ya round campus."

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1390 on: November 13, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »

Hmm, his heart is obviously in the right place. I don't understand the amount of vituperation aimed at him from some quarters

Dead & Co are great for youngsters who missed the the original. For me, like people reinterpreting Sandy songs, they just make me want to hear the real thing. :-)

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1391 on: November 13, 2017, 10:19:49 AM »

Hmm, his heart is obviously in the right place. I don't understand the amount of vituperation aimed at him from some quarters

Dead & Co are great for youngsters who missed the the original. For me, like people reinterpreting Sandy songs, they just make me want to hear the real thing. :-)

With 3 of the main Dead stalwarts involved, Dead & Co have earned the right to some respect, I think.  Despite me personally missing Phil, I think they are vastly preferable to the Fare Thee Well outfit (and Oteil is an awesome bass dude).  Mayer is a much much better guitarist than the Phish guy (I think).  I think the main problem for many is Mayer's (pop)star quality outside the band.

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1392 on: November 13, 2017, 03:17:04 PM »

With 3 of the main Dead stalwarts involved, Dead & Co have earned the right to some respect, I think.  Despite me personally missing Phil, I think they are vastly preferable to the Fare Thee Well outfit (and Oteil is an awesome bass dude).  Mayer is a much much better guitarist than the Phish guy (I think).  I think the main problem for many is Mayer's (pop)star quality outside the band.

Agree that the "Fare The Well" project didn't really work & with Orteil being a fab bassist. Trey Anastasio is rather good in other circumstances, playing Dead material during a particular run of Phil & Phriends, back in 1999, being a case in point

Here's "Shakedown Street" & some other bits from D&C at last night's Madison Square Gardens tour opener (starts about 11 mins in)  Smiley

https://jam.buzz/watch-highlights-dead-companys-blazing-kick-off-fall-2017-tour-msg/

John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #1393 on: November 13, 2017, 05:26:06 PM »

Dead & Co. coming to the Frank Erwin Center in Austin in December, I believe.  Assuming a few tix are still available, should I?

As I've mentioned here previously, I had never seen the GD or any offshoot thereof before I saw Bob Weir earlier this year, and he was fab.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1394 on: November 13, 2017, 05:30:11 PM »

Dead & Co. coming to the Frank Erwin Center in Austin in December, I believe.  Assuming a few tix are still available, should I?

As I've mentioned here previously, I had never seen the GD or any offshoot thereof before I saw Bob Weir earlier this year, and he was fab.

It will be very very different.  I guess there's only one way to find out  Smiley

Hours and hours (and hours) of material available gratis online if you want to try before you buy.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1395 on: January 18, 2018, 06:29:25 PM »

It appears we're pretty close to an announcement of some European Dead & Co dates  Smiley

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1396 on: January 19, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »

Smiley indeed!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1397 on: January 23, 2018, 03:51:54 PM »

File this under "Nope, I don't get it either" http://www.dead.net/store/music/new-releases/best-grateful-dead-live-cd?cmpid=dn%2F2018January23%2F-PreOrderYourCop-main-more-1&eml=2018January23%2F4237630%2F6131962&etsubid=39877111

samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #1398 on: January 30, 2018, 04:21:23 AM »

This I found very entertaining. Dead & Company sound check, practicing -- learning, actually -- Easy Wind.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRbpzzDxw-s&t=2805s
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #1399 on: January 30, 2018, 07:52:12 AM »

This I found very entertaining. Dead & Company sound check, practicing -- learning, actually -- Easy Wind.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRbpzzDxw-s&t=2805s

I wonder what Pig and Garcia would make of Dead & Co?

No Left Turn Unstoned
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: