TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:02:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871739 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1180 on: March 18, 2016, 04:04:08 PM »

......and that John Meyer. What is Phil thinking?

Mayer.  What, in not playing with him?  Wink  It's the other three...Dead & Co.  I actually rather like what they sound like.  I know I shouldn't, but....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1181 on: March 18, 2016, 04:21:44 PM »

Think Pete's out grumped you David.  Grin

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1182 on: March 18, 2016, 04:23:09 PM »

I know...impressive stuff, eh?   Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #1183 on: March 18, 2016, 04:34:20 PM »

I'm only just getting started Ian!!!   Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1184 on: March 18, 2016, 04:34:58 PM »

I know...impressive stuff, eh?   Grin

Haha.  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1185 on: March 18, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »

They may well have finished when Jez popped his clogs but there is always going to be an audience for them and their music.
    Groups that split 30 years ago come back having plugged the gap left by departed members and it gets lapped up. The Dead dont have the option of waiting long to get together given their age, as its on the cards that it won't be too long before Jerry, Pigpen, Keith and Brent have their pals join them in a keyboard heavy jam.
    I rather enjoyed Brents time with the band, esp since it meant that Donna was out of  the picture.

The Dude abides
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1186 on: March 18, 2016, 09:09:17 PM »

They may well have finished when Jez popped his clogs but there is always going to be an audience for them and their music.
    Groups that split 30 years ago come back having plugged the gap left by departed members and it gets lapped up. The Dead dont have the option of waiting long to get together given their age, as its on the cards that it won't be too long before Jerry, Pigpen, Keith and Brent have their pals join them in a keyboard heavy jam.
    I rather enjoyed Brents time with the band, esp since it meant that Donna was out of  the picture.

It's impossible to replace Garcia though Jim even if they use three guitarists. Nobody is capable of replicating his exploratory style and phrasing IMO.
I agree with you about Donna's exit though, but I loved Keith's work with the band.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1187 on: March 18, 2016, 10:21:39 PM »

Keith was great, and you could pretty much ignore Donna for 92.5% of a show.  Brent though.  *shudder*

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1188 on: March 18, 2016, 10:55:32 PM »

Poor Donna. Sadly. the bad overwhelms the good. However, there are times when she's just right. There are too many excruciating "Playing"s for comfort. Given her track record, she was obviously a talented singer; maybe it was a case of poor stage sound (she apparently had no monitors) & sometimes her understated harmonies are spot on.

Brent gave a whole new dynamic vocally that altered the band's sound dramatically. His songwriting was a pretty poor fit, but his enthusiasm & keyboard skills certainly did revitalise the band following Keith & Donna's departure. His contribution has been traduced, somewhat unfairly I feel. Obviously a fan of Steve Winwood, his fab Hammond sound gave a new lease of life to old material & shaped the direction of the band.

Ultimately, both Donna Jean & Brent were positive influences. Bless 'em.  Smiley

« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 11:11:06 PM by quodlibet (Ian) » Logged

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1189 on: March 19, 2016, 07:27:28 AM »

Poor Donna. Sadly. the bad overwhelms the good. However, there are times when she's just right. There are too many excruciating "Playing"s for comfort. Given her track record, she was obviously a talented singer; maybe it was a case of poor stage sound (she apparently had no monitors) & sometimes her understated harmonies are spot on.

Brent gave a whole new dynamic vocally that altered the band's sound dramatically. His songwriting was a pretty poor fit, but his enthusiasm & keyboard skills certainly did revitalise the band following Keith & Donna's departure. His contribution has been traduced, somewhat unfairly I feel. Obviously a fan of Steve Winwood, his fab Hammond sound gave a new lease of life to old material & shaped the direction of the band.

Ultimately, both Donna Jean & Brent were positive influences. Bless 'em.  Smiley

Yes, Ian that is true regarding Donna's pedigree. The lack of monitors must have been a major problem for her, as we know that she was an in demand backing singer.  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1190 on: March 19, 2016, 08:36:44 AM »

You make some fine points.  Donna's contribution was often 'just right'- it's far too easy to forget that with all of those dreadful PITB's.  She never sung anywhere near as badly as Phil does.  Try Unbroken Chain on the Fare Thee Well release.  Don't actually.  

Brent did indeed keep the band going, and almost singlehandedly invented the most irritating form of plinky plonky keyboard sound which spurned an entire genre in its wake...'jam band'...*shudder*.  The Dead were so dysfunctional from '79 onwards in so many ways that its hard to know whether saving the band was a good thing or not.  But for all their failings you gotta love 'em.  Gee,with fans like theirs, eh?  Wink Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1191 on: March 19, 2016, 09:55:25 AM »

The Dead were so dysfunctional from '79 onwards in so many ways that its hard to know whether saving the band was a good thing or not.  

I'm thankful for the Dead Reckoning album.  I'm thankful for the Touch Of Gray single.  The rest I can take or leave.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1192 on: March 19, 2016, 10:14:29 AM »

Anyway, moving on (or moving backwards) here's some Dead & Co... Mayer's guitar tone is quite 'rocky' in comparison with Garcia (lots of runs up and down the fretboard etc) but I think it kind of works (which is as good as it gets for us these days...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQ-hTIp2AQ

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1193 on: March 19, 2016, 03:01:03 PM »

Anyway, moving on (or moving backwards) here's some Dead & Co... Mayer's guitar tone is quite 'rocky' in comparison with Garcia (lots of runs up and down the fretboard etc) but I think it kind of works (which is as good as it gets for us these days...) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mQ-hTIp2AQ

Cheers for posting David. He's clearly a fine guitarist, but for me it's all rather cold and soulless.
Another thing, Weir needs to stop wearing those laughable long shorts - or short longs!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1194 on: March 19, 2016, 04:17:45 PM »

Cheers for posting David. He's clearly a fine guitarist, but for me it's all rather cold and soulless.
Another thing, Weir needs to stop wearing those laughable long shorts - or short longs!  Grin

He's got over 4 decades of form on that...doubt he's gonna change now!

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1195 on: March 19, 2016, 04:53:31 PM »

Those hipster whiskers can do one too.  Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1196 on: March 23, 2016, 10:04:15 AM »

A 33⅓ book on Workingman's Dead is coming soon:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Grateful-Deads-Workingmans-Dead-33/dp/1628929243/ref=sr_1_59?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1458727321&sr=1-59&keywords=33+1%2F3

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1197 on: March 23, 2016, 02:50:10 PM »

He's had them for a decade and a half too...  

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1198 on: March 23, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »

He's had them for a decade and a half too...  

It's almost as if he took the beard thing on to honour Garcia.
Oddly, throughout the years Garcia was performing with the Dead, Weir was invariably clean shaven.

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1199 on: March 23, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »

If I remember correctly (it's highly likely I don't) Bob grew his beard between the 2 visits to the UK with Ratdog (2002 and 2003).

Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: