TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:03:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871680 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #1020 on: April 27, 2015, 08:14:41 PM »

So there might be two different Shindig magazines on the shelf?   Shocked

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1021 on: April 28, 2015, 07:52:01 AM »

Jules

There's 'Kaleidoscope featuring Shindig' on the shelf this month although I think they'll drop the Shindig bit from next.  If you liked Shindig then make sure you buy Shindig....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1022 on: April 28, 2015, 11:11:11 AM »

Jules

There's 'Kaleidoscope featuring Shindig' on the shelf this month although I think they'll drop the Shindig bit from next.  If you liked Shindig then make sure you buy Shindig....

I saw the Kaleidoscope/Shindig mag the other day, and was interested as it featured Sandy Denny. So it's a bastard form??
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1023 on: April 28, 2015, 11:51:07 AM »

I saw the Kaleidoscope/Shindig mag the other day, and was interested as it featured Sandy Denny. So it's a bastard form??

Well it's at very least a co-opted affair done without the original magazine's blessing.

Jules

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1024 on: April 29, 2015, 03:27:09 PM »

Anyone got the GD Movie on DVD (or Blu-Ray)?  I have the soundtrack CD box, but not (yet?) the film. Reviews seems to agree that the music is great, but not the visuals - opinions are divided on the animations... looks OK to me from clips I've seen, but I'd like to hear it in 5.1

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1025 on: April 30, 2015, 09:07:35 AM »

Well it's at very least a co-opted affair done without the original magazine's blessing.

Jules

I had a glance @ it and it looks quite good. May break my no-mags rule and get it. The thing is, £5 can get you a CD these days, if you look around, (as we all know) . . .
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #1026 on: May 07, 2015, 10:11:19 AM »

Anyone got the GD Movie on DVD (or Blu-Ray)?  I have the soundtrack CD box, but not (yet?) the film. Reviews seems to agree that the music is great, but not the visuals - opinions are divided on the animations... looks OK to me from clips I've seen, but I'd like to hear it in 5.1

I bought the two DVD set that was released in 2004.  I didn't realize that it had been released on BluRay until just now.  Looks like the sound and picture were cleaned up even further from the DVD, plus has extra songs.

As for the DVD, the sound and picture are much improved from the VHS that was released in the early 1980's.  I just remember them being both very muddy.  As far as a review of the actual content of the movie itself, I've always been underwhelmed by "The Grateful Dead Movie."  Part of my issue is that it is not a straight up concert movie; it cuts to interviews with fans in line, backstage stuff, etc., sometimes in the middle of songs.  So you'll be enjoying a song, and they'll cut to something else.  Or, they'll cut to a song partway into the performance.

The animations are kind of cool, but also a little dated.  But also very Grateful Dead.  I got the soundtrack box at the same time as the movie, and I think I've only watched the movie once, and I don't know if I've ever watched all of the second bonus DVD.  But the CD's I've listened to a lot; 1973 and 1974 is my favorite period of the band.    

My thought is, if you want to see it for the music, stick to the CD's.  Though, it does sound good in 5.1.  If you can get it at a good price used, or borrow a copy, or rent it, that might be the best option.  I think it is worth seeing once if you're a Dead fan, but not really something that really warrants repeated viewings.

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1027 on: May 07, 2015, 11:20:57 PM »

Thanks, my favourite period too... I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap copy!

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1028 on: May 11, 2015, 09:14:02 AM »

Jules

I had a glance @ it and it looks quite good. May break my no-mags rule and get it. The thing is, £5 can get you a CD these days, if you look around, (as we all know) . . .

Bit off topic in a way, but here's an article on the Shindig story http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/10/shindig-magazine-music-publishing-deal

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1029 on: May 11, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »

Jules

Bit off topic in a way, but here's an article on the Shindig story http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/may/10/shindig-magazine-music-publishing-deal

Ah, ve-ery interesting.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1030 on: May 11, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »

Thanks, my favourite period too... I'll keep my eyes peeled for a cheap copy!

While I agree with most of Jonathan's assessment, I'd say the second 95 minute disc of bonus material is really worth having & to me is all the  more enjoyable because of the lack of interruption. The performances are great & watching the band in full flow, especially on "China / Rider" is a pure joy & bears repeated watching

Purchase with confidence. Just a pity we couldn't have a full film of the soundtrack CD.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1031 on: May 12, 2015, 03:58:43 PM »

Thanks Ian  Smiley

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1032 on: May 14, 2015, 04:23:45 PM »

Where you gonna watch it then?

http://www.cinemalive.com/index.php?p=view&id=164

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1033 on: May 14, 2015, 04:49:26 PM »

Well spotted, David. Spoiled for choice.  Smiley

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1034 on: May 14, 2015, 04:54:40 PM »

Thanks David! Gloucester Guildhall for me.  Cool

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1035 on: May 14, 2015, 05:01:28 PM »

I suspect the chances of hundred of Deadheads marching on Cheshire Oaks is unlikely...  Wink

I'm probably going to either go and see it with some Deadhead mates (York possibly) or head into Manchester or Liverpool where there is at least the chance of double figures.  

Seems bizarre to me...I just can't see an audience turning out for this.  Most of the showings will be empty.  Nice though.

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #1036 on: May 14, 2015, 05:15:37 PM »

I suspect the chances of hundred of Deadheads marching on Cheshire Oaks is unlikely...  Wink

I'm probably going to either go and see it with some Deadhead mates (York possibly) or head into Manchester or Liverpool where there is at least the chance of double figures.  

Seems bizarre to me...I just can't see an audience turning out for this.  Most of the showings will be empty.  Nice though.

Yeah, that was my thought too, especially on a Monday..

Gloucester, Worcester or Monmouth, for me, depending on which venue is the least uncomfortable, don't fancy 4 hours in a cinema seat. Nice that it's been time-shifted for us to a reasonable hour.  Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1037 on: May 14, 2015, 05:54:43 PM »

Thanks David! Gloucester Guildhall for me.  Cool

I may be joining you.

Jules

PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1038 on: May 15, 2015, 08:12:45 AM »

The Regal in Evesham has really posh seats. That could sway it for my aching bones...

Flobbadob!
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #1039 on: May 15, 2015, 05:12:49 PM »

Yesterday, down the road a piece ... (I didn't make it, though)
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/125076/All-Star-Cast-Honors-Jerry-Garcia-At-Dear-Jerry-Concert
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: