TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:14:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871961 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #980 on: December 01, 2014, 04:34:57 PM »

For those (like me) who are too lazy to do the 30 Days of the Dead thing...here's a link to all the 2014 downloads as one (650 mb) zip file.

www.gratefuldead.tk/30days2014/30days2014_complete_vp6iymd.zip

And there's a version on Lossless Legs with all of the dates/venue information etc on the tags which is even better...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #981 on: December 01, 2014, 05:14:40 PM »

And there's a version on Lossless Legs with all of the dates/venue information etc on the tags which is even better...

Bah!  I've been typing all that stuff in manually every day this past month!   Angry   Roll Eyes

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #982 on: December 03, 2014, 06:26:46 PM »

For the Grateful Dead fan who must have everything... http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Memorabilia/jerry-garcia-5865108-details.aspx

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #983 on: December 03, 2014, 07:34:07 PM »

For the Grateful Dead fan who must have everything... http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/Memorabilia/jerry-garcia-5865108-details.aspx

Hmmm....it's certainly seen better days.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #984 on: December 11, 2014, 09:18:50 PM »

This is nice...From Jerry Garcia's 70th birthday celebration at Bob Weir's TRI Studios featuring Bob Weir, Neal Casal, Mike Gordon, Joe Russo, Donna Jean Godchaux

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECTz8uMm7dY

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #985 on: December 23, 2014, 02:02:16 PM »

A Dead Giveaway

Earlier this year I had occasion to burn a few shows for someone looking for an introduction to the Dead's live oeuvre.

While doing so, for some reason unclear to me now, I burned two copies of each show & the second set are just sitting on the shelf taking up space.

As it's the season to be jolly & all that, I'm happy to offer these extra shows to anyone interested, no catch, no cost, just allowing me the buzz of sharing music from a band that has given me such pleasure for the last 45 odd years. 

To make it a bit fairer, in the unlikely event of there being multiple responses, I'll wait a couple of days & draw a name on 25th. Please PM me off list.

Here's the skinny on what's available. (Some shows were given a limited official release, but all are now out of print) These were chosen as being fairly representative of my own taste, but every Deadhead, I suspect, would make different choices

1) Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, Ca. 18th November 1966 (Cream Puff War boot)

An old school boot transferred to a single CD. Not to everyone's taste, but I love the sparkling energy of this early recording. This show is almost complete, only missing Dancing In The Streets.

2) The Mosque, Richmond, Va. 25th May 1977 (Dave's Picks Vol 1) x 3CD

There are so many good shows from this tour it was a fairly random choice based on a set list containing lots of personal favourites.

3) Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct. 14th October 1983 (Dick's Picks Vol 6) x 3CD
To my ears, much 80s stuff is not as engaging as other periods, but this show has a sprinkling of newer material & a terrific 2nd disc.

4) Capitol Theatre, Port Chester, NY. 18th February 1971 (This Had Better Be Good boot) 2CD

Another good, old fashioned bootleg, not an official release. This is a bit special as it contains the first outings of Bertha, Greatest Story Ever Told, Johnny B. Goode, Loser, Playin' & Wharf Rat. The following night is probably better known as it was released as “Three From The Vault”.

5) Ohio Theatre, Columbus Oh, 31st October 1971 (Dick's Picks Vol 2) x1CD

Thought another Dark Star was in order. This is a great rendering from a curiously truncated Dick's Picks

6) Great American Music Hall, San Francisco, Ca. 13th August 1975 x2CD

Classic show, originally broadcast on FM & widely bootlegged in shortened form. This is the full concert showcasing the then still unreleased Blues For Allah material, a lot of which , although performed here, did not survive into the repertoire long term. Nice quality, great performance & released as One From The Vault

As Bill Graham said (approximately): "The Dead ain't the best at what they do, they're the only ones who do what they do"

Season's Greetings one & all.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #986 on: January 16, 2015, 03:27:44 PM »

One last time... http://www.dead.net/50?intcmp=home/carousel1

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #987 on: January 16, 2015, 03:30:48 PM »

I'm actually quite moved.

So, who's going?

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #988 on: January 16, 2015, 03:36:01 PM »

I've never been a huge fan of The Other Ones/The Dead...preferring their individual (P&F/Ratdog) bands.  Personally I've rather fallen out of love with the Rhythm Devils approach to percussion.  Less is so often more.  But, yeah, it will be moving... Well, I'm up for it, anyway.  Bank account details available if anyone can help out....  Wink

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #989 on: January 17, 2015, 05:32:09 PM »

Hmm, I'd be very tempted if finances permitted... I need to re-read the ticket/ballot instructions carefully.

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #990 on: January 17, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »

... which I did; and even if I could afford to go, the chances of getting a ticket this side of the pond would be slim, and as it's 4th July, hotels would be at a premium, etc etc.  Roll Eyes

I guess the gigs will be recorded (well, they WILL be taped!) for an official release, maybe a (documentary?) DVD.  Wink

Flobbadob!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #991 on: January 21, 2015, 05:48:43 PM »

A really lovely cover (arguably an improvement?) of a really rather minor Garcia/Hunter song from Shakedown Street by the wonderful Gruff Rhys

http://www.avclub.com/video/gruff-rhys-covers-if-i-had-world-give-213042

Well, I like it, anyway  Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #992 on: January 21, 2015, 09:32:01 PM »

New 2 disc overview of the Dead's studio work due for release:-

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/01/21/unbroken-chain-rhino-celebrates-50-years-of-grateful-dead-with-new-2-cd-anthology/

At first it looks promising, but 3 tracks each from Shakedown Street, In The Dark and Built To Last versus only 1 song from Wake Of The Flood and Blues For Allah seems all wrong.  Indeed, we've reached the Terrapin Station album by the end of the first disc.  That's out of whack, in my book.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #993 on: January 21, 2015, 09:38:20 PM »

New 2 disc overview of the Dead's studio work due for release:-

http://theseconddisc.com/2015/01/21/unbroken-chain-rhino-celebrates-50-years-of-grateful-dead-with-new-2-cd-anthology/

At first it looks promising, but 3 tracks each from Shakedown Street, In The Dark and Built To Last versus only 1 song from Wake Of The Flood and Blues For Allah seems all wrong.  Indeed, we've reached the Terrapin Station album by the end of the first disc.  That's out of whack, in my book.

Jules

An impossible task.  Why bother? (Although actually, on looking at the tracklisting, I think that looks quite a good stab at compiling a song based studio compilation...)

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #994 on: January 21, 2015, 09:41:08 PM »

An impossible task.  Why bother? (Although actually, on looking at the tracklisting, I think that looks quite a good stab at compiling a song based compilation...)

Well, up to a point, which brings me back to the points I made re song selection.

Jules

samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #995 on: January 22, 2015, 02:51:49 AM »

I'm with you, Jules.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #996 on: January 22, 2015, 12:03:15 PM »

Last time I booked tickets to see the Dead, for Madison Square Gardens in September '95, Jerry pegged it. Don't think I'll tempt providence & will wait for the DVD.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #997 on: January 22, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »

Smiley

But to be serious (if not downright morbid), that's becoming an increasing risk as the heroes/favourites of our younger selves tot up the years.  Sad

Flobbadob!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #998 on: January 22, 2015, 01:55:06 PM »

There doesn't seem to be a week goes by now without one of Neil Young's old bandmates passing on.

Jules

Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #999 on: January 27, 2015, 08:12:20 PM »

Bah!  I've been typing all that stuff in manually every day this past month!   Angry   Roll Eyes

Jules

Don't feel too badly, I was doing the same!  It became my morning ritual during November: download, retype name of song, and take a couple sips of coffee.  In years past, I'd spend a day around Christmas downloading them all the manually retyping them.  

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: