TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:03:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 879890 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #880 on: June 15, 2013, 09:16:55 PM »

It's May '77 o'clock  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #881 on: June 17, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »

A nice Cassidy from February time with Weir, Wilson and Crosby. Turn it up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVYW-IleB20     Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #882 on: June 17, 2013, 07:21:12 PM »

That's fabulous, isn't it?  I'm ever so slightly in love with Jonathan Wilson you know...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #883 on: June 18, 2013, 06:36:06 PM »

That's fabulous, isn't it?  I'm ever so slightly in love with Jonathan Wilson you know...

He is rather talented isn't he David?   I keep returning to the clip you posted of 'The Way I Feel' - an absolutely superb version.

No Left Turn Unstoned
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #884 on: July 06, 2013, 01:00:16 PM »

It's May '77 o'clock  Smiley

Had first sight & sound of the box last night & in the parlance of the young, it's awesome! The packaging is superb, replacing the overblown, cheap & nasty mega box format of "Europe '72" & "Spring '90". This is a tasteful, stylish & discreet package & on the basis of the one show heard so far, the sound is drop-dead gorgeous. Yum.  Smiley  

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #885 on: July 06, 2013, 01:38:59 PM »

Had first sight & sound of the box last night

No sign of mine yet.  It's getting to be a familiar story with Dead.net.   Angry

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #886 on: July 06, 2013, 02:02:14 PM »

No sign of mine yet.  It's getting to be a familiar story with Dead.net.   Angry

Jules

This copy was sourced in the US by a chum on holiday. Maybe international orders haven't been posted yet.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #887 on: July 09, 2013, 02:50:03 PM »

18 years ago today...the very last show.  Wow...to think there are adults alive today who have spent all their lives in a world without the Grateful Dead in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VFoxtcuwQ&sns=em

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #888 on: July 09, 2013, 03:46:06 PM »

This copy was sourced in the US by a chum on holiday. Maybe international orders haven't been posted yet.

Card on the doormat when I got home yesterday.  £26+ in import duties to pay.   Angry

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #889 on: July 09, 2013, 04:04:18 PM »

Card on the doormat when I got home yesterday.  £26+ in import duties to pay.   Angry

Jules

Ouch. Plus a handling charge, no doubt.  Sad

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #890 on: July 09, 2013, 05:05:27 PM »

Ouch. Plus a handling charge, no doubt.  Sad

I'm hoping that's all in.  We shall see.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #891 on: July 09, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »

18 years ago today...the very last show.  Wow...to think there are adults alive today who have spent all their lives in a world without the Grateful Dead in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2VFoxtcuwQ&sns=em

It's our sworn and solemn duty to educate every last one of em!  Smiley

I'm working on the Grandkids at the moment!

No Left Turn Unstoned
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #892 on: July 09, 2013, 07:48:07 PM »

A more than a little endearing little clip that floated my way a couple days passed. Having said that I will never forget the undressing I got in this forum some years back when somebody came in here looking to ask what Grateful Dead was of value. Now I dare say for the absolute zero it is worth there is no one walking these corridors who has the real time knowledge of this phenomenon that I do. And the undressing I received for correctly steering them away from Aoxomoxoa as anything to listen to firstly was correct, and seconded by the band. The haughtiness of the response is something I have never forgotten. I ain't asking if it does not include many things that ripened to fullness in the performances of those pieces that made it to the stage. Any record that gives away 20 per cent of its time to the likes of What's Become of Baby is something that can be shuffled to the back until one knows the game. Other assessments here try to corner the Grateful Dead into some American Beauty corner of tunes. That ain't what they do. That they have composed many great songs simply as songs is beside the fact. What they were was a 30 year long conversation relying heavily on improvisation. Even within the ranks of Deadheads one will find a bewildering spectrum of people including both many of the kindest people I have ever met, alongside many of the most self righteous, and in later years, just flat out rude. http://youtu.be/kxDmL_q90-8

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #893 on: July 10, 2013, 03:15:27 PM »

A more than a little endearing little clip that floated my way a couple days passed. Having said that I will never forget the undressing I got in this forum some years back when somebody came in here looking to ask what Grateful Dead was of value. Now I dare say for the absolute zero it is worth there is no one walking these corridors who has the real time knowledge of this phenomenon that I do. And the undressing I received for correctly steering them away from Aoxomoxoa as anything to listen to firstly was correct, and seconded by the band. The haughtiness of the response is something I have never forgotten. I ain't asking if it does not include many things that ripened to fullness in the performances of those pieces that made it to the stage. Any record that gives away 20 per cent of its time to the likes of What's Become of Baby is something that can be shuffled to the back until one knows the game. Other assessments here try to corner the Grateful Dead into some American Beauty corner of tunes. That ain't what they do. That they have composed many great songs simply as songs is beside the fact. What they were was a 30 year long conversation relying heavily on improvisation. Even within the ranks of Deadheads one will find a bewildering spectrum of people including both many of the kindest people I have ever met, alongside many of the most self righteous, and in later years, just flat out rude. http://youtu.be/kxDmL_q90-8

Glad you said that. I'm by no means a die hard Dead Head, or anything like it, if that makes sesne, but if I'd heard say Anthem of the Sun before anything else, i'd possibly have avoided the Dead altogether. As it is, or was, I heard Europe '72 and live Dead a long time before those difficult early studio affairs, and I'm glad I did.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #894 on: August 02, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »

Sunshine Daydream's looking nice and restrained...  Smiley

http://www.dead.net/sunshine-daydream

Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #895 on: August 06, 2013, 03:26:57 AM »

I am very tempted.  I wish they just had a CD only version.  I just find myself not watching concert films much anymore.  Nothing wrong with them, please don't get my wrong, just given the choice, I'd rather have the CD.  I just don't want to spend the money for a DVD or Blue Ray I won't likely watch.  

That being said, the good thing about concert films is it "forces" you to listen to the music.  As opposed to having the CD on while you're driving, doing the dishes, grading papers (I'm a teacher), etc., you're not paying 100% attention.  But if you're sitting on the sofa, watching the concert, not doing anything else, then you're "forced" to pay attention.

I have a copy of the 8/27/1972 show on CDR that sounds incredible.  There is part of me that can't imagine the official release will sound any better.  However, there are some shows that I had on CDR that sound amazing, and were officially released (Dave's Picks, vol 5 at UCLA for example), and there is a great difference.  

Just my opinion, but 8/27/1972 is one of those shows that is just as good as its reputation, and does deserve the official release.  

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #896 on: August 06, 2013, 08:29:23 AM »

Just my opinion, but 8/27/1972 is one of those shows that is just as good as its reputation, and does deserve the official release.  

Amen to that.  Smiley

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #897 on: August 06, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »

Ditto.  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #898 on: August 07, 2013, 07:19:19 PM »

I am very tempted.  I wish they just had a CD only version.  I just find myself not watching concert films much anymore.  Nothing wrong with them, please don't get my wrong, just given the choice, I'd rather have the CD.  I just don't want to spend the money for a DVD or Blue Ray I won't likely watch.  

That being said, the good thing about concert films is it "forces" you to listen to the music.  As opposed to having the CD on while you're driving, doing the dishes, grading papers (I'm a teacher), etc., you're not paying 100% attention.  But if you're sitting on the sofa, watching the concert, not doing anything else, then you're "forced" to pay attention.

I have a copy of the 8/27/1972 show on CDR that sounds incredible.  There is part of me that can't imagine the official release will sound any better.  However, there are some shows that I had on CDR that sound amazing, and were officially released (Dave's Picks, vol 5 at UCLA for example), and there is a great difference.  

There's a workingman's version that will be available on the release date as well - just the 4 discs!  Amazon US has it for $30, so that's where I'll be heading!  Smiley  l  
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #899 on: August 07, 2013, 08:23:27 PM »

It's about the first official release in ages I'm genuinely considering buying as opposed to, um, well, er....

£34.66 on Amazon.  That's £20 less than Spin.  The GDM version comes with a 40-page 'book' though...

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: