TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:15:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871695 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #860 on: May 19, 2013, 08:13:35 PM »

Interestingly, the rather excellent Rolling Stone GD special suggests Anthem, Aoxomoxoa, Workingmans Dead, American Beauty and, er, In the Dark are the essential studio recordings..

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #861 on: May 20, 2013, 09:08:48 AM »

Interestingly, the rather excellent Rolling Stone GD special suggests Anthem, Aoxomoxoa, Workingmans Dead, American Beauty and, er, In the Dark are the essential studio recordings..

Mojo did a Dead and/or acid rock piece once, years ago.  It recommended a bunch of Dicks Picks whiich turned out to be just fine. Wish I had the article.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #862 on: May 20, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »

Mojo did a Dead and/or acid rock piece once, years ago.  It recommended a bunch of Dicks Picks whiich turned out to be just fine. Wish I had the article.

I remember Uncut did one about the best live Dead CDs to get.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #863 on: May 20, 2013, 09:45:02 AM »

I remember Uncut did one about the best live Dead CDs to get.  Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

Jules

Maybe my internal quality control faculty doesn't function too well, but apart from "Steal Your Face" & the occasional "Road Trips", I reckon you're on pretty firm ground with any of the officially released live stuff. Just depends on which era appeals to you the most.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #864 on: May 20, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »

Maybe my internal quality control faculty doesn't function too well, but apart from "Steal Your Face" & the occasional "Road Trips", I reckon you're on pretty firm ground with any of the officially released live stuff. Just depends on which era appeals to you the most.

No, I think you're pretty much spot on there.  I don't recall playing a bad one.  And most of them have at least two or three spinetingling moments.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #865 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:47 PM »

And most of them have at least two or three spinetingling moments.

Jules

Only two or three Jules!   Wink

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #866 on: May 20, 2013, 07:49:37 PM »

And most of them have at least two or three spinetingling moments.

Only two or three Jules!   Wink

"At least".

Jules

Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #867 on: May 21, 2013, 09:13:10 AM »

Jules

Possibly , Jules. I don't trust my memory like I used to.  Smiley
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #868 on: May 28, 2013, 04:13:41 PM »

Tempted?  Smiley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Grateful-Dead-Daves-Picks-1-6-Plus-2012-2013-Bonus-Discs-/221230224226

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #869 on: May 28, 2013, 06:14:48 PM »

Bleedin' capitalists!   Angry

Jules

tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #870 on: May 28, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »

With the amount of very decent quality video and exceptional quality, often in the case of "Betty Boards" and other notables, superior to official release quality audio available online I am regularly baffled by people's willingness to pay these exorbinant fees. I mean is it for the shiny case with the computer read out thingy on it? Even on those marks all of these that are available come with covers that can be downloaded for them that also are often the superior of those officially released.
Now I did do more than enough touring to know of the likes of "Trustafarians" and other folks to whom money truly is no object, so that accounts for some of it.
For those of us who have sunk many thousands of dollars into the cause of the Grateful Dead, the argument of stealing money from the artist would be well lost on me. So, as is said, knock yourself out.
btw here is one curio that was of interest to me anyway that popped up on one of the GDead groups I belong to on Facebook yesterday. Of course there are a mind numbing amount of full shows up there but this one makes it on the sort of insider angle. Watched only the first few minutes so far as those opening bits are from a show I was at at Cal Expo in Sacramento on 5/4/86 as myself and my English girlfriend Caroline were 2nd row of people back, between Bob and Jerry with the annoying **** behind us constantly borrowing cigarettes with a mind that seemed permanently baked. So far no luck on the me and Caro spotting. http://youtu.be/NWHvXWvalu0 wow, so much of that stuff up there that I linked the wrong one first, though doubtless also worthwhile. here's the one i intended. http://youtu.be/ZEsr3vuR_f4
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:51:00 PM by tullist/raymond » Logged

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #871 on: May 28, 2013, 10:00:56 PM »

Oh, he's the real deal...selling bootleg silvers et al...I have reported him, but eBay couldn't normally give a sh1t...

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #872 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25:01 PM »

Can't cut and paste from YouTube on my kindle..but..get yourselves over there and put in 'grateful dead chinacat sunflower sunshine daydream official video' or similar. And enjoy.. Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #873 on: June 06, 2013, 09:45:12 PM »

Can't cut and paste from YouTube on my kindle..but..get yourselves over there and put in 'grateful dead chinacat sunflower sunshine daydream official video' or similar. And enjoy.. Smiley

Well alright!   Smiley

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #874 on: June 07, 2013, 06:26:32 PM »

Great isn't it?  Superb quality film too.   Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #875 on: June 08, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »

1981 was a good year for UK Deadheads. Not only shows in March & October, but a Rockpalast TV simulcast as well. I dug out the old VHS mono copy last night & thoroughly enjoyed it. Now some kind soul has uploaded the whole show to You Tube. Good recording of a good show, with added Townsend for the post Drums segment, following the Oo's opening set which I don't recall at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldse7hpLphY

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #876 on: June 08, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »

1981 was a good year for UK Deadheads. Not only shows in March & October, but a Rockpalast TV simulcast as well. I dug out the old VHS mono copy last night & thoroughly enjoyed it. Now some kind soul has uploaded the whole show to You Tube. Good recording of a good show, with added Townsend for the post Drums segment, following the Oo's opening set which I don't recall at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ldse7hpLphY

On the other hand,I can remember watching at least part of the 'Oo,but I think I was claimed by sleep for the rest of it.
Meanwhile,I can't get much past the Fillmore 66 show you sent me,I love it.Smokestack Lightning in particular is on heavy rotation.But I have watched the Anthem To Beauty prog on YouTube,and will be embarking on listening to the regular albums after Download.

Well I never did..
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #877 on: June 10, 2013, 06:20:39 PM »

He's back - for sure this time!   Smiley

http://www.relix.com/news/2013/06/10/bob-weir-is-back  

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #878 on: June 10, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »

How many other musicians would have a "He's back" headline after a month long absence from playing live?  Smiley

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #879 on: June 11, 2013, 06:54:34 PM »

How many other musicians would have a "He's back" headline after a month long absence from playing live?  Smiley

Probably only Dylan that I can think of......  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: