TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:08:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871816 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #840 on: May 14, 2013, 09:04:06 AM »

You got me you barstewards..
"He's one of us now...Mwahahahaha!!!"

I'm only going to start feeling guilty when you start collecting Dick's Picks, Road Trips and Dave's Picks.   Grin

Jules

Does anyone actually have a firm number on just how many Dead releases, on Cd, there are? Something seems to come out virtually every week, and it's been going on for a while. Just curious.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #841 on: May 14, 2013, 12:42:01 PM »

I'm only going to start feeling guilty when you start collecting Dick's Picks, Road Trips and Dave's Picks.   Grin

Jules

Does anyone actually have a firm number on just how many Dead releases, on Cd, there are? Something seems to come out virtually every week, and it's been going on for a while. Just curious.

Haven't checked it for completeness or accuracy, but I bet someone has. This will give you an idea;

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Grateful_Dead.htm

Of course, this excludes all the audience, soundboard & radio recordings that have circulated freely over the years.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #842 on: May 14, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »

well.....I've just read through this entire thread for the third time in a couple of years,knowing I would eventually take the plunge.
My Dead "collection" has up to now consisted of Excerpt from Dark Star on the Zabriskie Point s/t and Ripple from the Mask s/t (Cher not Jim Carrey),along with Live/Dead all on vinyl.I'm very much of the jamming school of thought,and was trying to avoid getting into a whole new,massive catalouge of stuff,considering that my house is creaking with musical items as it is.
Although the YouTube link to Terrapin Station is no longer avaiable,I've located the second half of that show on a website and I'm hooked.
Scarlet Begonias >
Fire on the Mountain >
Good Lovin'
Ramble on Rose
Samson and Delilah
Terrapin Station
Morning Dew
Encore
Johnny B. Goode

I've also ordered second hand copies of Working Man's Dead,American Beauty,Europe 72,Terrapin Station and Oxymoron.(Not wishing to restart the great Coaxial debate again,of course).

Welcome. We are everywhere. Free your inner trainspotter!

Think that is 27/04/77 Capitol Theatre, Passaic, NJ, but missing "Estimated Prophet" the 2nd set opener, one of the last shows without a dedicated Drums segment

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #843 on: May 14, 2013, 06:22:43 PM »

Welcome to the bus............you'll never want to get off now Mike!   Wink

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #844 on: May 14, 2013, 06:51:56 PM »

In all honesty I sometimes do get off the bus.  I visit these other places of interest, like British Folk Rock, Power Pop, Reggae, New Wave and Funk.  And then I sneak back on the bus, and nobody's the wiser that I've been away.   Grin

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #845 on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:33 AM »

Jules

Haven't checked it for completeness or accuracy, but I bet someone has. This will give you an idea;

http://www.deaddisc.com/GDFD_Grateful_Dead.htm

Of course, this excludes all the audience, soundboard & radio recordings that have circulated freely over the years.

Thanks. Formidable. And even i can think of things that aren't on there.

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #846 on: May 15, 2013, 06:40:27 PM »

In all honesty I sometimes do get off the bus.  I visit these other places of interest, like British Folk Rock, Power Pop, Reggae, New Wave and Funk.  And then I sneak back on the bus, and nobody's the wiser that I've been away.   Grin

Jules

I just take any other music onto the bus with me Jules!  45 years it's been running.....jeez   Shocked Wink

No Left Turn Unstoned
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #847 on: May 15, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

Even longer, lol. Nearly 50. I think it was the summer of 64 when that thing took off dosed to the then, legal gills, and making announcements from the top of it in like....rural Missisippi I am pretty sure. Given they had at least a couple grade A bad asses on there in Olympic wrestler Kesey and Neal Casady, but still not much of a match for Jo Bob with his double barrell shotgun and a sheriff that may well have looked the other way, could have even been the same guy. Was not such a huge fan of the Acid Test book, certainly at least one better one I know of about acid called Storming Heaven by Jay Stephens, but the notion of those guys in that thing all over the map in that year doing LSD of pure potency still staggers my brain. There is only one San Francisco, you take that thing elsewhere in the US in that year there could be problems...or there could be laughter. I really would love to hear the impressions of "common" folk who recall it. I mean people maybe knew what beatniks were then, hippie was at least 2 years from common use.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #848 on: May 16, 2013, 06:22:18 PM »

Even longer, lol. Nearly 50. I think it was the summer of 64 when that thing took off dosed to the then, legal gills, and making announcements from the top of it in like....rural Missisippi I am pretty sure. Given they had at least a couple grade A bad asses on there in Olympic wrestler Kesey and Neal Casady, but still not much of a match for Jo Bob with his double barrell shotgun and a sheriff that may well have looked the other way, could have even been the same guy. Was not such a huge fan of the Acid Test book, certainly at least one better one I know of about acid called Storming Heaven by Jay Stephens, but the notion of those guys in that thing all over the map in that year doing LSD of pure potency still staggers my brain. There is only one San Francisco, you take that thing elsewhere in the US in that year there could be problems...or there could be laughter. I really would love to hear the impressions of "common" folk who recall it. I mean people maybe knew what beatniks were then, hippie was at least 2 years from common use.

Wow, must have still been Mother McCree's in '64, or maybe Warlocks?
Will try and hunt that Jay Stephens book down Raymond. Thanks for those memories.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #849 on: May 16, 2013, 06:26:46 PM »

Raymond - just got that book for 1p on Amazon  Grin    £2.80 post and pack  Sad

No Left Turn Unstoned
tullist/raymond
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »

So glad to hear it Pete. There are only about ten books that come with my strongest recommendation, that is one of them, and certainly the only one specific to that subject. If I remember right, with a foreward from Mickey Hart, a favor which I recall to have been returned in one of Mickey's books, I believe Drumming at the Edge of Magic.
Out of all the notions put forward in that book is the one he makes that human communication, re speaking, was formed behind the use of psychoactive plants, and he makes a credible argument indeed.
If anything, the hippies and others come in for alot of deserved stick in this investigation, this is a view of these properties ENTIRE history.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #851 on: May 16, 2013, 07:53:39 PM »

Sorry, missed this and can't find it back up there.  Which book is this?

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #852 on: May 16, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »

4 posts up, Jules!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #853 on: May 17, 2013, 07:16:02 AM »

4 posts up, Jules!

Grassy arse.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #854 on: May 17, 2013, 06:29:21 PM »

50 years ago................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFE0X27zEW8    Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
tullist/raymond
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #855 on: May 17, 2013, 09:11:56 PM »

and 49 years ago....http://youtu.be/DbysAK2PYc4
which I believe can accurately be marked as the beginning of the Grateful Dead. In physical form the following year as a sideshow at the first of Prankster Acid Tests. But notionally, here is where it all began. There are no icons available up there of a fierce enough laughter to be placed here for emphasis. but if i could find that image of that dos eques beer guy that floats around facebook saying, "I don't always do psychedelics, but when I do....Holy s**t!" And they got his visage down just right, totally zoned, looks like some psychedelic visionary sombrero he is wearing of a sudden.

michael from naas

« Reply #856 on: May 17, 2013, 09:56:51 PM »

Could I ask something as mundane as what I should get next?

I have Europe 72 Vol 1 (astonishing) the Skull & Roses album (great stuff if not quite as iconic  to my ears) and I recently "acquired" the first set of the last night of Winterland (too soon to form a verdict but a belting Scarlet Begonias)

So what say you,gentlemen of the jury? Europe 72 Vol 2,Live Dead or something else?

I have a small few euro to spend but unfortunately I am not in the market for multi cd box sets and the like and can only wish  all the best to those who are.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #857 on: May 17, 2013, 11:12:14 PM »

Could I ask something as mundane as what I should get next?

I have Europe 72 Vol 1 (astonishing) the Skull & Roses album (great stuff if not quite as iconic to my ears) and I recently "acquired" the first set of the last night of Winterland (too soon to form a verdict but a belting Scarlet Begonias)

So what say you,gentlemen of the jury? Europe 72 Vol 2,Live Dead or something else?

I have a small few euro to spend but unfortunately I am not in the market for multi cd box sets and the like and can only wish  all the best to those who are.

Well everybody needs American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, but in terms of live documents, yeah that second volume of Europe '72 isn't to be sniffed at.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #858 on: May 18, 2013, 07:31:24 PM »

Yup, I'd agree with Jules here. If you like their country/folk song based style, those two mentioned are ideal.

I still love the 1st Live/Dead and Anthem of the Sun.  These 2 albums show the more early psychedelic era from '68/'69.

All of them are available as single cds.

No Left Turn Unstoned
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #859 on: May 19, 2013, 09:41:45 AM »

Some freebies from Mickey;

http://mickeyhart.net/download

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: