TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 05:24:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871853 times)
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #760 on: December 22, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »

I've seen several version of this tune with Phil and Ryan Adams, but this from 7 years ago, has imo, got to be the best.

http://www.relix.com/video/relix-tv/2012/12/19/phil-lesh-with-ryan-adams-and-the-cardinals-wharf-rat

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #761 on: December 22, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »

I've seen several version of this tune with Phil and Ryan Adams, but this from 7 years ago, has imo, got to be the best.

http://www.relix.com/video/relix-tv/2012/12/19/phil-lesh-with-ryan-adams-and-the-cardinals-wharf-rat

That's great.  I wish Ryan would rock out a bit more these days...I find his acoustic shows a little too one-dimensional.  

When I watch this, I can't help thinking Ryan's loss is Chris Robinson's gain....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #762 on: December 23, 2012, 06:38:53 PM »

Absolutely David.  Refresh my memory of the lead guitarists name please?Huh

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #763 on: December 23, 2012, 06:46:19 PM »

Neal Casal.  He's fab  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #764 on: December 23, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »

That's not Casal in that video I posted above David............

Meanwhile anyone fancy some free Mickey Hart downloads (all legal)!!  http://www.mickeyhart.net/download

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #765 on: December 23, 2012, 06:54:28 PM »

That's not Casal in that video I posted above David............

Is it not?  Standing to Phil's left, largely out of shot for most of the video?  It's not the Cardinals then, if Neal's not there...  My bad then.

UPDATE: Just checked...Neal didn't join the Cardinals til just after this...in which case it's J.P. Bowerstock.  Sorry about the confusion there...it's all mine...I genuinely never knew that...I thought the Cardinals were formed by Ryan and Neal.  D'oh.   Smiley

What's even worse is that I think I actually saw The Cardinals without Neal, then.  Double D'oh!

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #766 on: December 23, 2012, 07:08:37 PM »

Yeah, I just looked Bowersock up on wiki, and there's nowt on there about him. He couldn't have been in the band for long. He has a great Garcia-like tone hasn't he?     I did find him on twitter though.

He'd re-tweeted this review of Cold Roses by a cute young kid.   Adams himself has tweeted 'best review ever -honoured'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLVJzA29fI&feature=share    Stick with it, he's great.  

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #767 on: December 23, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »

He'd re-tweeted this review of Cold Roses by a cute young kid.   Adams himself has tweeted 'best review ever -honoured'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeLVJzA29fI&feature=share  

That's lovely, isn't it?  Smiley

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #768 on: December 27, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »

How about this?

http://www.moogmusic.com/news/moog-music-resynthesizes-44-year-old-live-recording-grateful-dead-new-tools-artists

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #769 on: January 08, 2013, 10:47:42 PM »

Dave's Picks 6 looks nice  Smiley

"We're really bad at keeping secrets around here so just imagine how hard it's been for us to contain our excitement about the 2 now-complete shows, once missing reels for more than 40 years, that have been selected to make up Dave's Picks Volume 6. The first major return of material to the vault since 2005's Houseboat Tapes, Dave's Picks Volume 6 will feature never-before-heard material from 2/2/70 Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO and 12/20/69 Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA. Long a mystery, the riddle of the 2/2/70 set list has now been solved and the music restored to its proper - and spectacular - sequence. 2/2/70 is also notable as Tom Constanten had just left the band. Tom, however, makes his return to give his first-hand perspective on 12/20/69 in this volume's liner notes. Pigpen fiends, ask and you shall receive. Both shows feature loads of Pigpen including a major 35+ minute "Lovelight" from 12/20/69. Recorded by Bear with an excellent mix and sound quality, this very special release feels like a return to the classics.

If you've been curious about the subscribers-only bonus disc, this one is the stuff of lore as well. Like Dave's Picks Volume 6, the last-ever Grateful Dead show at the Fillmore Auditorium - 12/21/69, was once missing reels, but we've acquired the elusive first reel to go with the end of the show that we've always had. This jam-packed CD, featuring almost 40 minutes of never-before-heard music, includes one of only three versions of "Smokestack Lightning" from 1969. You most certainly won't want to miss out on this highly collectible Dead!"

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #770 on: January 09, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »

Dave's Picks 6 looks nice  Smiley

"We're really bad at keeping secrets around here so just imagine how hard it's been for us to contain our excitement about the 2 now-complete shows, once missing reels for more than 40 years, that have been selected to make up Dave's Picks Volume 6. The first major return of material to the vault since 2005's Houseboat Tapes, Dave's Picks Volume 6 will feature never-before-heard material from 2/2/70 Fox Theater, St. Louis, MO and 12/20/69 Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, CA. Long a mystery, the riddle of the 2/2/70 set list has now been solved and the music restored to its proper - and spectacular - sequence. 2/2/70 is also notable as Tom Constanten had just left the band. Tom, however, makes his return to give his first-hand perspective on 12/20/69 in this volume's liner notes. Pigpen fiends, ask and you shall receive. Both shows feature loads of Pigpen including a major 35+ minute "Lovelight" from 12/20/69. Recorded by Bear with an excellent mix and sound quality, this very special release feels like a return to the classics.

If you've been curious about the subscribers-only bonus disc, this one is the stuff of lore as well. Like Dave's Picks Volume 6, the last-ever Grateful Dead show at the Fillmore Auditorium - 12/21/69, was once missing reels, but we've acquired the elusive first reel to go with the end of the show that we've always had. This jam-packed CD, featuring almost 40 minutes of never-before-heard music, includes one of only three versions of "Smokestack Lightning" from 1969. You most certainly won't want to miss out on this highly collectible Dead!"

Mmm. Looks good. It goes with the territory, I suppose, but another interminable Pigpen Lovelight? What the world's been waiting for.  Wink

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #771 on: January 09, 2013, 01:33:47 PM »

Mmm. Looks good. It goes with the territory, I suppose, but another interminable Pigpen Lovelight? What the world's been waiting for.  Wink

I may be unique, but I can honestly say I have never ever felt like that listening to a lengthy Pigpen led Lovelight.  I love the man.

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #772 on: January 09, 2013, 06:26:36 PM »

I may be unique, but I can honestly say I have never ever felt like that listening to a lengthy Pigpen led Lovelight.  I love the man.

David, how do you feel about his vocals on 'Hey Jude' and 'It's a man's, man's, man's, man's, man's, man's world'?
That really is stretching my love for the Pig!!

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #773 on: January 09, 2013, 06:47:23 PM »

David, how do you feel about his vocals on 'Hey Jude' and 'It's a man's, man's, man's, man's, man's, man's world'?
That really is stretching my love for the Pig!!

Ok, ok...lol.  One thing to remember with Hey Jude though is that it didn't have the baggage it has now, and its almost impossible to hear it with those ears now.  Conclusion?  Feckin' awful...yeah, but still, to me, infinitely preferable to a Brent original  Wink

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #774 on: January 09, 2013, 09:10:15 PM »

Conclusion?  Feckin' awful...yeah, but still, to me, infinitely preferable to a Brent original  Wink

In an ideal world I'd do without either, but would deffo take the Pig over the Brentster.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #775 on: January 10, 2013, 06:38:10 PM »

Yeah, me too Jules.

No Left Turn Unstoned
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #776 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:09 PM »

I'd never seen this before, I just stumbled across it last night.
It's some video shot whilst recording parts of 'Built to Last'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfRjKjnry2w

I found it really interesting, even though it's not the greatest quality video.  

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #777 on: January 15, 2013, 10:30:58 PM »

Thanks for that.  Not seen it before either.  Can't imagine watching it more than once, mind  Smiley

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #778 on: January 16, 2013, 06:35:40 PM »

Thanks for that.  Not seen it before either.  Can't imagine watching it more than once, mind  Smiley

True David, I doubt it will be regular viewing for me either!!  

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #779 on: January 18, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »

Would love to see this.

http://www.relix.com/news/2013/01/18/bob-weir-and-jonathan-wilson-will-tour-this-winter

Actually, thinking about it...it's one way of getting Bob back over here that might just about be economic...?  Ten years is too long.  One can but dream.

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: