TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 10:08:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871929 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #620 on: October 31, 2011, 01:06:33 PM »

I was there too! Were-wolves of London aaahhh-ooooo!

I was actually 9 months pregnant at the time but my husband told me if I went into labour I was on my own?

There was a blue haze in the air as you went into the arena.My son was eventually born 2 weeks late. We reckoned he was too chilled to come out!

Happy days Grin and memories of tye-dye maternity dungarees Smiley

By the way does the guy who plays like Jerry still play with DSO or just Furthur?

Great story!

Well that was 21 years ago today, not yesterday  Smiley I missed the 1st Nov show...so these two times were the only times I saw them (although have seen Ratdog half a dozen times or so too).

John Kadlecik isn't in the DSO - he is too busy being Jerry in Further.  His replacement is Jeff Mattson (ex Zen Tricksters and Donna Jean's band) who, unbelievably, I'd actually argue is better...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #621 on: October 31, 2011, 07:28:01 PM »

Very close call but agreed. Both excellent. The Zen Tricksters are the oldest and I would estimate the best of the Dead bands though I have not heard them in maybe 15 years, though a handful, including DSO, are very very good.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #622 on: November 01, 2011, 05:17:35 PM »

http://dead.net/30-days-dead-november-1

Love it or loathe it, 30 days of the Dead is back...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #623 on: November 01, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »

I dug it last time!

Thanks for giving the heads-up, David, was just about to do same.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #624 on: November 04, 2011, 09:06:43 PM »

Curses, forgot to download the song yesterday...

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #625 on: November 05, 2011, 09:58:01 AM »

Curses, forgot to download the song yesterday...

The old ones are still up, so no problem there.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #626 on: November 09, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »

Are we all enjoying the selections so far?  I certainly am.  I like the download for the cover too!   Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #627 on: November 09, 2011, 07:03:33 PM »

Are we all enjoying the selections so far?

Oops, thanks for the nudge - I haven't downloaded today's yet!

Jules

David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #628 on: November 10, 2011, 07:27:58 AM »

The appeal of the Dead is still lost on me, but a friend very recently posted this link on FB. I don't think I'll be able to watch it all, but I'll give it yet another go at trying to unravel the "mystery". But you guys, if you haven't seen it or it hasn't been posted before, may well enjoy iy.

Cheers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8-fNrbSJMs&feature=share

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #629 on: November 10, 2011, 07:46:53 AM »

The appeal of the Dead is still lost on me, but a friend very recently posted this link on FB. I don't think I'll be able to watch it all, but I'll give it yet another go at trying to unravel the "mystery". But you guys, if you haven't seen it or it hasn't been posted before, may well enjoy iy.

Cheers...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8-fNrbSJMs&feature=share

Nice to see a bit of '87 Dead.  Great link...many thanks indeed  Smiley  Anyone know what the history of the footage is?

MikeA

Loc: Somerset Levels

Long strange trips are good...

« Reply #630 on: November 18, 2011, 09:08:53 PM »

[quI'm still waiting for my box but have been assured it's now on its way at last.  Yay!

Meanwhile I see that Rhino/Dead.net are going to issue all the shows separately now, which has to be good news for those who need to spread out their payments.

Julesote][/quote]

I was interested to see that the Bickershaw set has now become available - having been there, albeit well out of it, I'd love to hear a 'professional' recording as opposed to the stuff I sourced some while back from the usual suspects.
However, it's cited as a Deadnet exclusive, which suggests I can only obtain it from them and reading about the hassle others have had, I wondered if, a) the quality warrants what for me is a complex administrative/retail manoeuvre, and b) if this stuff may show up on Amazon or somesuch in the not too distant future?
Easy answers welcome!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #631 on: November 18, 2011, 09:17:05 PM »

[quI'm still waiting for my box but have been assured it's now on its way at last.  Yay!

Meanwhile I see that Rhino/Dead.net are going to issue all the shows separately now, which has to be good news for those who need to spread out their payments.

Julesote]

I was interested to see that the Bickershaw set has now become available - having been there, albeit well out of it, I'd love to hear a 'professional' recording as opposed to the stuff I sourced some while back from the usual suspects.
However, it's cited as a Deadnet exclusive, which suggests I can only obtain it from them and reading about the hassle others have had, I wondered if, a) the quality warrants what for me is a complex administrative/retail manoeuvre, and b) if this stuff may show up on Amazon or somesuch in the not too distant future?
Easy answers welcome!
[/quote]

Spin have it for preorder...

http://www.spincds.com/
(just put 'Grateful Dead Bickershaw' in the search...)

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #632 on: November 20, 2011, 06:53:27 PM »

Still playing my way through the big Europe '72 box, and I have to say that the Dark Star > Morning Dew pairing from the Munich show is stunning, haunting, powerful and other such things.  Now you know me, I don't usually go for the Dead doing marathon jams, so this is saying plenty for me!  Truly exceptional.    (Either that or I'm finally getting the hang of it all at last.)

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #633 on: December 02, 2011, 07:25:16 PM »

Don't know if this has been posted before?
Garcia discussing his love of the film,  'Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein'.   His enthusiasm is always so infectious.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKUtyUmS4IE&feature=related

No Left Turn Unstoned
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

Loc: Sparks, Maryland, USA

« Reply #634 on: December 04, 2011, 02:37:18 PM »

I was just listening yesterday to an old David Bromberg album - "Demon in Disguise" - and realized that I hadn't heard him mentioned around here.  That album, from 1972, and also "Wanted Dead or Alive" from 1974, has the Dead as the backup band for many of the songs.  Terrific recordings, great mix of blues, celtic, rock, folk...  I'm guessing that maybe some of you British folks maybe never even heard of him, but in the 70's he was pretty much on every Dead-head's radar.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #635 on: December 04, 2011, 04:11:17 PM »

I was just listening yesterday to an old David Bromberg album - "Demon in Disguise" - and realized that I hadn't heard him mentioned around here.  That album, from 1972, and also "Wanted Dead or Alive" from 1974, has the Dead as the backup band for many of the songs.  Terrific recordings, great mix of blues, celtic, rock, folk...  I'm guessing that maybe some of you British folks maybe never even heard of him, but in the 70's he was pretty much on every Dead-head's radar.

I remember seeing DB at the Cambridge Folk Festival in about 1973, but never never made a connection with the Dead. Thanks for the tip. Off to check out those titles.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

« Reply #636 on: December 16, 2011, 02:42:42 PM »

Finally got Europe '72 Volume 2 (not going to get the big box -- I'm a collecter but I have to draw the line somewhere!).  Quite a nice set.  Thought I might note here that on "Sing Me Back Home" there are the overdubbed vocals like on Volume 1.  In this case you can actually here the original vocals bleed through every now and then.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #637 on: December 16, 2011, 06:20:57 PM »

Finally got Europe '72 Volume 2 (not going to get the big box -- I'm a collecter but I have to draw the line somewhere!).  Quite a nice set.  Thought I might note here that on "Sing Me Back Home" there are the overdubbed vocals like on Volume 1.  In this case you can actually here the original vocals bleed through every now and then.

There are tracks like that scattered around the big box too.  They could have gone to the 2-track safety copies for the "pure" versions of tracks that were overdubbed, in cases where the original parts were wiped or part-wiped on the multitracks, but they chose not to, it would seem.  Strange.

Jules

samnitzberg (Sam)
no little winking doodad

« Reply #638 on: December 17, 2011, 03:20:25 AM »

There are tracks like that scattered around the big box too.

Really?  I'd love to see a list of all of the overdubbed tracks that weren't on the original Europe '72, or, even better, hear them all together.  I prefer them, actually -- I've always thought that the Dead's live vocals were their weakest trait.  The few times they went back and overdubbed it usually was worth it, giving us the best of both worlds: on-pitch singing and thought-through harmonies combined with their generally inspired live musicianship.  I've often wondered if there were more from the Skull & Roses recordings too.

And -- this just in -- and definitely not for me: http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/blogs/gear-up/grateful-dead-launch-video-game-20111216
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 03:47:57 AM by samnitzberg (Sam) » Logged
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #639 on: December 17, 2011, 07:30:43 AM »

I got the email about the game yesterday.  I do despair at those running the organisation these days and their ideas.  A repulsive concept.

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: