TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:34:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871597 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #420 on: October 28, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »

Mike's had this same discussion on here a number of times...I'm not sure why he gets so upset about other people doing other things even if he thinks they are irrational, but still!  Fwiw, I download and store in FLAC (and play the files with Foobar on my PC) mainly so that I can make audio CDs for other people.  The options for burning Audio CDs directly from FLAC have never worked properly for me.  And I'm used to doing it like I do.  So yah boo sucks.  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #421 on: October 28, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »

I've had it once before, I think. With Jules. I'm not irate, I'm just confused as to why people make things more difficult for themselves.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #422 on: October 29, 2010, 01:56:52 PM »

I've had it once before, I think. With Jules. I'm not irate, I'm just confused as to why people make things more difficult for themselves.

But Mike, can you be sure that your version of easy is the same as mine?  Converting FLACs to wavs doesn't hurt me at all.  In fact, I quite enjoy it!   Smiley

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #423 on: October 29, 2010, 03:26:42 PM »

For sure Jules, if one's computer is in ok shape it takes very little time. And as compared with the old tape trading days, which had their own deep merits, still, almost no comparison. Much was better many years ago but in no wise everything. As marvelous as something like Dime Torrents is, to a person in excess of 50, it is sort of the vague outline of heaven.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #424 on: October 29, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »

Could we move the technical discussion to Help Desk in The Arms please.

Many thanks,

Paul

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #425 on: October 29, 2010, 09:16:08 PM »

For sure Jules, if one's computer is in ok shape it takes very little time. And as compared with the old tape trading days, which had their own deep merits, still, almost no comparison. Much was better many years ago but in no wise everything. As marvelous as something like Dime Torrents is, to a person in excess of 50, it is sort of the vague outline of heaven.

Actually my PC's fit for the knackers yard, but yeah, it's still quicker than sitting next to a cassette deck doing real-time compilations for 90 minutes at a time.  I must have spent 5 years of my life doing that!   Shocked

Jules

PS  Just seen's Paul's topic drift post.  Uh....insert Grateful Dead reference here!   Grin

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #426 on: November 01, 2010, 04:45:04 PM »

30 days of the Dead on deadnet... (a free download a day in Nov).  You need to register.

http://www.dead.net/node/16757

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #427 on: November 01, 2010, 11:12:16 PM »

30 days of the Dead on deadnet... (a free download a day in Nov).  You need to register.

Cool.  Thanks, David.  I wonder, do you have to log on every day to catch them all, or can you grab a few on later days?

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #428 on: November 02, 2010, 05:44:33 PM »

Been listening to Download Series, Vol. 4 from June 1976 today.  I noticed lots of mistakes but heaps of energy too, so that makes it a overall positive listening experience.  I put both down to the Dead having been off the stage for a year and a half - this was soon after they came out of 'retirement'.  Jerry's guitar playing sounds particularly firey - sometimes he's rocking and rolling on ballads, but so joyously that you forgive him!

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #429 on: November 08, 2010, 03:20:56 PM »

I'm collecting these daily - I hope the other heads on this forum are doing likewise.  I'm planning on compiling them chronologically when the month is through....

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #430 on: November 08, 2010, 10:05:09 PM »

I'm collecting these daily - I hope the other heads on this forum are doing likewise.  I'm planning on compiling them chronologically when the month is through....

Jules

todays estimated prophet cuts off a bit abruptly dont you think, even worse than yesterdays "he's gone a" "he's gone b" was much better in the "not cutting off abruptly" stakes

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #431 on: November 09, 2010, 09:05:05 AM »

todays estimated prophet cuts off a bit abruptly dont you think, even worse than yesterdays "he's gone a" "he's gone b" was much better in the "not cutting off abruptly" stakes

Yeah, what is it with the 'a's and 'b's?  I didn't even realise until a pal tipped me off that there were hidden alternate versions.  And one song (was it Easy Wind 'a'?) did the opposite of 'cutting off abruptly' and had about a minute of low-level crowd noise and tuning up at the end.

Ah well, they are free, remember!

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #432 on: November 09, 2010, 04:00:03 PM »

Yeah, what is it with the 'a's and 'b's?  I didn't even realise until a pal tipped me off that there were hidden alternate versions.  And one song (was it Easy Wind 'a'?) did the opposite of 'cutting off abruptly' and had about a minute of low-level crowd noise and tuning up at the end.

Ah well, they are free, remember!

Jules

have you read the comments on the free stuff! i thought i could whinge

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #433 on: November 09, 2010, 04:04:03 PM »

have you read the comments on the free stuff! i thought i could whinge

Ha.  No, I haven't.  But nobody moans quite like a hardcore fan!

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #434 on: November 24, 2010, 09:25:05 PM »

Great job!  http://www.arl.org/resources/careers/positions/details.shtml?form=763770&page=31642481

I know (in tune with my 'handle') its very unpolitically correct but I did laugh out rather loud to see that the hearing impaired are encouraged to apply (actually there are some very lovely 'deafheads' out there...)

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #435 on: November 24, 2010, 09:52:38 PM »

Great job!  http://www.arl.org/resources/careers/positions/details.shtml?form=763770&page=31642481

I know (in tune with my 'handle') its very unpolitically correct but I did laugh out rather loud to see that the hearing impaired are encouraged to apply (actually there are some very lovely 'deafheads' out there...)

Are you applying, David?   Grin

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #436 on: November 24, 2010, 10:36:12 PM »

Are you applying, David?   Grin

Jules

I'd love to.  But, no, I'm not.  I knows my place....  Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #437 on: November 25, 2010, 08:43:17 AM »

I feel much the same.  How I wish I was more web and tech savvy, because being a music archivist is one thing I'd really love to be.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #438 on: November 25, 2010, 06:39:12 PM »

I feel much the same.  How I wish I was more web and tech savvy, because being a music archivist is one thing I'd really love to be.

Jules

I actually think the ad is from a while back.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #439 on: December 18, 2010, 07:09:08 PM »

This is a nice little vid...Jerry and Chip doing what comes naturally (it eventually gets around to being Not Fade Away!)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVbnnkqOxjI

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: