TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:59:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871753 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #360 on: October 12, 2010, 09:22:33 AM »

Is this the show Ian, where most Deadheads say the best ever Dark Star was performed?

I'm pretty sure it's one and the same, Pete.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #361 on: October 12, 2010, 09:44:57 AM »

The Veneta show, if not the best, is the one of the most psychically important shows, or some such hyperbolic guff. It is, however, indeed a cracker. It was arranged as a benefit for Ken Kesey's family's creamery business & tickets were printed on the back of yoghurt pot labels. It was intended as a field trip party for the extended Dead & Prankster families.

Temperature on the day allegedly reached 108F, presumably unusual for Oregon, but as one who flakes when the glass goes over 70F, it must have been hell without much shade available. As folks started to wilt, a bowser was detailed to spray the crowd with water, but in the nick of time, Kesey's brother realised the truck was that used to empty the portable loos & another was hastily found. Phew.

At one point Weirs announces "Well, the sun's making our instruments get mighty strange. So they'll be out of tune for a little while". Later; "We're changing our name to The Sunstroked Serenaders". Ultimately, they abandoned the second set, (Weir) "We're gonna take another break, let the sun go down a little more and come back and play some more", which the duly did, turning in a 30+ min "Dark Star>El Paso".

Filmed professionally as "Sunshine Daydream" the final cut has yet to see the light of day.

(info from Dead Base & deadhead's Taping Compendium Vol.1 & CDR)

I've not come across the "darkstarplace" site before, thanks, David. Bang goes Tuesday.  Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #362 on: October 12, 2010, 06:00:41 PM »

Another Dick's Picks has landed on the doormat!  Volume 20 from 1976.  

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #363 on: October 12, 2010, 06:34:37 PM »

Another Dick's Picks has landed on the doormat!  Volume 20 from 1976.  

Jules

Jules, how do you keep up with it all financially?  I had to give up after  Dick's Picks 9, couldn't keep up with the pace!

I bought the first four From the Vaults, and even splashed out on the two complete album remix box sets, oh yeah the Garcia box set too, but my dear wife was running out of patience even then.   Roll Eyes

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #364 on: October 13, 2010, 09:26:27 AM »

Jules, how do you keep up with it all financially?  I had to give up after  Dick's Picks 9, couldn't keep up with the pace!

Well I only started this year, so I never did keep up!  I'm just selecting various Picks to buy as and when I can.

My salary isn't big, but I do live quite simply.  I don't have a car, I don't buy many clothes, the house is paid for out of the money left to me by my parents when they passed on.  So I can afford a few CDs most months.  I feel lucky.  Who knows what might be around the corner?  Maybe next year I won't be able to afford a pot to p*** in.  But for now, I intend to continue indulging myself.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #365 on: October 13, 2010, 09:29:32 AM »

even splashed out on the two complete album remix box sets

They were remastered rather than remixed.  In fact they used original mixes whereever they could.  I believe they had to use the 1970s remix of Aoxomoxoa because the original masters couldn't be found, and they used longer edits of some of the tracks on the debut album, but other than that they were all as originally mixed I believe.

Jules (aka Pedant)

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #366 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:10 AM »

My salary isn't big, but I do live quite simply.  I don't have a car, I don't buy many clothes, the house is paid for out of the money left to me by my parents when they passed on.  So I can afford a few CDs most months.  I feel lucky.  Who knows what might be around the corner?  Maybe next year I won't be able to afford a pot to p*** in.  But for now, I intend to continue indulging myself.

Oh and I fogot one other thing - I have no children.  That, right there, for good or ill, is probably the main reason I can go CD shopping!

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #367 on: October 13, 2010, 06:24:41 PM »

Oh and I fogot one other thing - I have no children.  That, right there, for good or ill, is probably the main reason I can go CD shopping!

Jules

I feel like I've got the full picture now Jules! Good luck to you. At least you're spending your money on top quality music!  Grin

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #368 on: October 14, 2010, 09:20:46 AM »

I feel like I've got the full picture now Jules!

No, wait, I left out my shoe size.....

Roll Eyes

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #369 on: October 14, 2010, 06:47:44 PM »

I feel like I've got the full picture now Jules!

No, wait, I left out my shoe size.....

Roll Eyes

Jules

Damn, I knew that there was a major flaw in those details!  Smiley

No Left Turn Unstoned
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #370 on: October 15, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »

The Veneta show, if not the best, is the one of the most psychically important shows, or some such hyperbolic guff. It is, however, indeed a cracker. It was arranged as a benefit for Ken Kesey's family's creamery business & tickets were printed on the back of yoghurt pot labels. It was intended as a field trip party for the extended Dead & Prankster families.

Temperature on the day allegedly reached 108F, presumably unusual for Oregon, but as one who flakes when the glass goes over 70F, it must have been hell without much shade available. As folks started to wilt, a bowser was detailed to spray the crowd with water, but in the nick of time, Kesey's brother realised the truck was that used to empty the portable loos & another was hastily found. Phew.

At one point Weirs announces "Well, the sun's making our instruments get mighty strange. So they'll be out of tune for a little while". Later; "We're changing our name to The Sunstroked Serenaders". Ultimately, they abandoned the second set, (Weir) "We're gonna take another break, let the sun go down a little more and come back and play some more", which the duly did, turning in a 30+ min "Dark Star>El Paso".

Filmed professionally as "Sunshine Daydream" the final cut has yet to see the light of day.

(info from Dead Base & deadhead's Taping Compendium Vol.1 & CDR)

I've not come across the "darkstarplace" site before, thanks, David. Bang goes Tuesday.  Smiley
So Ian, is the audio available as a Dick's Picks or From the Vault or whatever?  If so what number was it? This is another one I need!!!!!!!! Fez

No Left Turn Unstoned
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #371 on: October 16, 2010, 11:00:19 AM »

As far as I know the Veneta show doesn't have an official release, I only have a cassette copy from an ancient source.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #372 on: October 16, 2010, 01:20:11 PM »

As far as I know the Veneta show doesn't have an official release, I only have a cassette copy from an ancient source.

You can get it as a download or a boot, but it hasn't been released as a proper CD set.

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #373 on: October 16, 2010, 07:00:50 PM »

You can get it as a download or a boot, but it hasn't been released as a proper CD set.

Jules

Thanks for the info guys.

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #374 on: October 16, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »

And a very Happy Birthday to the baby of the group...Bobby is 63 today.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #375 on: October 17, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »

Ace. What a long strange trip......etc. Smiley

Incidentally, returning to Veneta for a mo, I just came across this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GRATEFUL-DEAD-RENAISSANCE-FAIRE-GROUNDS/dp/B001JJECYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287307206&sr=1-1

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #376 on: October 17, 2010, 10:28:37 AM »

Ace. What a long strange trip......etc. Smiley

Incidentally, returning to Veneta for a mo, I just came across this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GRATEFUL-DEAD-RENAISSANCE-FAIRE-GROUNDS/dp/B001JJECYQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287307206&sr=1-1

Amazon don't sell boots, eh?  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #377 on: October 17, 2010, 08:54:30 PM »

I need more shows...

(the madness of Deadheadedness laid bare for all to see) [Warning: some swearing!]

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7217017/

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #378 on: October 18, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »

I need more shows...

(the madness of Deadheadedness laid bare for all to see) [Warning: some swearing!]

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/7217017/

Great stuff. Must track down that Vancouver show  Grin

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #379 on: October 18, 2010, 09:25:22 AM »

I love that, David, thanks!   Grin

Jules

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: