TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 09:40:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871774 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #340 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:11 AM »

My latest Dick's Picks CD has arrived in Englnad - but now I have to go and pay almost as much again in customs duties.  I'm seriously ticked off.  Won't get fooled again!   Angry

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #341 on: September 26, 2010, 02:11:06 PM »

My latest Dick's Picks CD has arrived in Englnad - but now I have to go and pay almost as much again in customs duties.  I'm seriously ticked off.  Won't get fooled again!   Angry

Jules

Ive been caught like that a couple of times too. Sometimes they seem to squeeze through unnoticed without penalty don't they?  

No Left Turn Unstoned
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #342 on: September 26, 2010, 08:01:46 PM »

Ive been caught like that a couple of times too. Sometimes they seem to squeeze through unnoticed without penalty don't they?  

One lives in hope.  I have a 6 CD set of Allan Sherman on its way from the States.  I found it for £70 which is the best price I could find anywhere on the net.  It's over £120 from Amazon UK.  So either way I shan't moan on this one.

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #343 on: September 26, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

That's a lot of Allan Sherman!  Shocked
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #344 on: September 26, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »

Allan Sherman?
as in "hello mudda hello fadda"?

The Dude abides
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #345 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:03 AM »

Allan Sherman?

Quote from: GubGub
That's a lot of Allan Sherman!

Yep.  My parents were fans and their enthusiasm rubbed off on me.  We didn't share a love of much music, so Allan Sherman was like bonding glue for our family.  Therefore I can't get too much Allan Sherman.  It'll help me think nice thoughts about my mum and dad, who are now no longer with us.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #346 on: September 27, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »

the very thought of his records takes me back to a big brown wireless with athlone, luxembourg and hilversum on the dial, the smell of a big pan of cabbage on the cooker and the old fella smoking for england
 its a good place

The Dude abides
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #347 on: September 27, 2010, 12:34:39 PM »

There is something strangely wonderful about the fact that we can be discussing the Dead and Allan Sherman in the same thread!  Smiley

In the meantime I hope I don't get stuck with delays and customs charges like your Dick's Picks. I have ordered Dylan's Witmak Demos set from Amazon.com to get the bonus disc. Only $20 for the lot including p&p so I hope it is under the limit.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #348 on: September 27, 2010, 01:11:05 PM »

There is something strangely wonderful about the fact that we can be discussing the Dead and Allan Sherman in the same thread!  Smiley

I think so too.  Some of the mods here might disagree with us though!   Sad

In the meantime I hope I don't get stuck with delays and customs charges like your Dick's Picks. I have ordered Dylan's Witmark Demos set from Amazon.com to get the bonus disc. Only $20 for the lot including p&p so I hope it is under the limit.

You should be OK then.  I've preordered the Dylan mono box with that bonus disc, but I may well get the demos set as well.....and may well even get the US version like you've done and get a spare bonus disc!

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #349 on: September 27, 2010, 06:14:34 PM »

Allan Sherman?

'Camp is very entertaining, and they say we'll have some fun when it stops raining'   Is that him?   Huh Undecided

No Left Turn Unstoned
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #350 on: September 28, 2010, 11:03:26 AM »

I know you are desperate for us to get back on topic Paul but for Jules' benefit, there is a short article in the new Mojo about the new Allan Sherman reissues.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #351 on: September 28, 2010, 11:10:45 AM »

I know you are desperate for us to get back on topic Paul but for Jules' benefit, there is a short article in the new Mojo about the new Allan Sherman reissues.

Cool.  Thanks, Gub.  (Though I went for the box over the new reissues because of the bonus tracks).

Uh...any Grateful Dead content in the new Mojo, Gub?   Wink

Jules

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #352 on: September 28, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

Cool.  Thanks, Gub.  (Though I went for the box over the new reissues because of the bonus tracks).

Uh...any Grateful Dead content in the new Mojo, Gub?   Wink

Jules

Er, probably. I haven't looked that closely. There is an obituary for Ritchie Hayward who played with Little Feat who featured Lowell George who played on a couple of Grateful Dead recordings. Does that help?  Grin
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #353 on: September 30, 2010, 01:22:09 PM »

Still grooving to Dick's Picks 33.  They rock mightily on Franklin's Tower.  They almost sound like they're about to metamorphosise into The Who at the end!

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #354 on: October 09, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »

"Road Trips Vol. 3, No.4" (Penn State & Cornell Unis) + "Formerly The Warlocks" box set (Hampton Oct '89) just been delivered as a gift from a chum returning from US (ha, take that HMR&C). Warlocks packaging is really over the top, nice but hardly essential & could have lopped $20 off the asking price.

RT has an interesting mix with Weir very prominent. So far, so good. Interesting that the bootleggers' favourite of Cornell 8th May '77 hasn't appeared yet, perhaps because it's so readily available as a download.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #355 on: October 09, 2010, 05:20:30 PM »

Interesting that the bootleggers' favourite of Cornell 8th May '77 hasn't appeared yet, perhaps because it's so readily available as a download.

There's another big favourite from 1972, the Veneta show, which is always mentioned in dispatches but which likewise has yet to make it out as an officia relase.  I'm thinking like you that they mut reckon that everyone has it as a boot or a download.

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #356 on: October 11, 2010, 03:13:57 PM »

Interesting that the bootleggers' favourite of Cornell 8th May '77 hasn't appeared yet, perhaps because it's so readily available as a download.

There's another big favourite from 1972, the Veneta show, which is always mentioned in dispatches but which likewise has yet to make it out as an officia relase.  I'm thinking like you that they mut reckon that everyone has it as a boot or a download.

Jules

Indeed.  I've seen bits of great quality film footage, from that show, but not the whole thing. It would make a good candidate for a "View From The Vaults" series. The weather was so hot the band's instruments kept going out of tune (their excuse anyway) & I think a lot of heat stroke cases. Good show, none the less.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #357 on: October 11, 2010, 03:31:44 PM »

The weather was so hot the band's instruments kept going out of tune (their excuse anyway)

Really?  Because some of the fans talk about it like it's some perfect gig, some holy grail!

Jules

Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #358 on: October 11, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »

Indeed.  I've seen bits of great quality film footage, from that show, but not the whole thing. It would make a good candidate for a "View From The Vaults" series. The weather was so hot the band's instruments kept going out of tune (their excuse anyway) & I think a lot of heat stroke cases. Good show, none the less.
[/quote]

Is this the show Ian, where most Deadheads say the best ever Dark Star was performed?  Wasn't it a benefit for Ken Kesey's farmer brother or something? I stand to be corrected however.  Cool

No Left Turn Unstoned
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #359 on: October 11, 2010, 09:16:58 PM »

There's a rather fascinating (depending on your point of view!) interview with Charlie Miller (GD taper and upgrader extraordinaire) here...

http://www.darkstarpalace.com/2010_10_01_archive.html

Lots of other interesting stuff on that site too...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: