TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 11:59:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871959 times)
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #240 on: May 20, 2010, 02:29:52 PM »

I enjoyed the Grateful Dead Reader, the shorter pieces made it more palatable as writers did not get focused on the drug use,

http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Reader-Readers-American-Musicians/dp/0195147065

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #241 on: May 20, 2010, 02:33:31 PM »

I enjoyed the Grateful Dead Reader, the shorter pieces made it more palatable as writers did not get focused on the drug use,

http://www.amazon.com/Grateful-Reader-Readers-American-Musicians/dp/0195147065

Thanks for the tip, though I do actually want to know about the drug use.  I mean, with the Dead, it is relevant!

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #242 on: May 20, 2010, 02:59:52 PM »

It's all their I think there is a great short story about Dead fans in there as well and their relationship to the band the drugs and the life style, I remember that being the most powerful pieces.

One of the problems with the Dead seems to be have been the number of people who went along for the ride and are now at a point when they need a retirement plan and the story is all they have and they feel they need to spice it up a little. Phil Lesh's book was interesting as well.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #243 on: May 20, 2010, 03:05:00 PM »

Phil Lesh's book was interesting as well.

Signed copies are available from your friendly dealer  Grin

Yep - that is a good read...and another 'spot on' for the GD Reader...some good stuff in there too.

I did laugh at the sentence "One of the problems with the Dead seems to be have been the number of people who went along for the ride".  So, so true...and most of them were on the payroll too, and had a vote equal to that of the band members in many regards which perpetuated the band doing ridiculous numbers of dates, particularly in the last 10 years, when Jerry's (and at times, several other band members) heart(s) wasn't in it leading to him turning to drugs as a means of relief and ultimately leading to his death.  The GD was a machine that ate itself.  Very weird.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #244 on: May 20, 2010, 03:30:03 PM »

I've not come across the "Reader" & have yet to catch up with PL's autobiog, so thanks for the pointers. For my money, the one essential tome for any Deadhead is "Deadbase". Encyclopaedic range of info + fascinating selection of concert reviews by those who were there (as opposed to journalists), exhaustive set lists, times items played & in what sequence (for those snatches of shows without labels), song info, plus Weir & Garcia bases in some editions, alls sorts of useless info & everything a dedicated trainspotter Deadhead would want to know. Alas, later editions (up to DB XI) are going for ludicrous amounts on Amazon.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #245 on: May 20, 2010, 03:39:57 PM »

I've not come across the "Reader" & have yet to catch up with PL's autobiog, so thanks for the pointers. For my money, the one essential tome for any Deadhead is "Deadbase". Encyclopaedic range of info + fascinating selection of concert reviews by those who were there (as opposed to journalists), exhaustive set lists, times items played & in what sequence (for those snatches of shows without labels), song info, plus Weir & Garcia bases in some editions, alls sorts of useless info & everything a dedicated trainspotter Deadhead would want to know. Alas, later editions (up to DB XI) are going for ludicrous amounts on Amazon.

They are nice to have but all the info is online...

The Deadhead's Taping Compendiums Vols I - III are good, but their price has now sky-rocketed and the Addendum (effectively Vol IV) is 300 dollars or so these days.  

Oh, books I have sold and regreted...the list is endless!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #246 on: May 21, 2010, 12:07:49 PM »

I'm trying to hunt down a copy of Dick's Picks Volume 28.  Recordings from February 1973.  Deadnet is sold out, Spin CDs are sold out, Amazon has none, and two copies sold on eBay this past fortnight for silly prices.  Any other suggestions for places to try?

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #247 on: May 21, 2010, 01:01:02 PM »

I'm trying to hunt down a copy of Dick's Picks Volume 28.  Recordings from February 1973.  Deadnet is sold out, Spin CDs are sold out, Amazon has none, and two copies sold on eBay this past fortnight for silly prices.  Any other suggestions for places to try?

Jules

Holy Moses...who's got £105 to spend on a 4 CD set these days?  Plenty of people apparently...  Crazyness.  

Don't know what to suggest apart from the obvious, I'm afraid.

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #248 on: May 21, 2010, 01:46:59 PM »

Holy Moses...who's got £105 to spend on a 4 CD set these days?  

I know!  I'd been watching it in 'my eBay' and thinking to myself "oh, I'm snagging that one at the last minute!".  After a couple of days of it being listed even the early bidders had driven it up to about £45 - which was past the limit I'd set myself.  I was deeply shocked when it topped a ton.

Some Dick's Picks seem to be much rarer than others.  Did they make noticeably smaller batches of some volumes I wonder......?

Still, I really fancy Volume 28.  I will not give up easily!  (And compared to finding an original copy of the Rockin' The Rhein bonus disc, it'll be a piece of p!ss.)

Jules

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #249 on: May 21, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »

Ah, the thrill of the chase!  Smiley
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #250 on: May 21, 2010, 03:02:19 PM »

Ah, the thrill of the chase!  Smiley

Heh heh.  Yeah, something like that.  Though I would prefer it if some of the odds weren't quite so slim.

Jules

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #251 on: May 26, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »

I don't know if this will interest anyone here or not, it sounds from the write-up that the filming might be a little unprofessional:

http://spaceritual.net/tractor/gdead.htm

The Grateful dead in England in 1970  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »

Just converted Download Series Vol. 10: Paramount Northwest Theatre, Seattle, WA, 7/21/72 from FLAC to wav, so I've been listening to it today.  A storming show, with such a lovely version of He's Gone that I said "that as lovely" out loud after it had finished........and there was nobody else in the room.   Embarrassed

Jules

MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »

Just converted Download Series Vol. 10: Paramount Northwest Theatre, Seattle, WA, 7/21/72 from FLAC to wav, so I've been listening to it today.  

Erm? What's the point in conversion? FLAC is a lossless format, as is WAV, so what do you gain?
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2010, 12:31:29 PM »

Just converted Download Series Vol. 10: Paramount Northwest Theatre, Seattle, WA, 7/21/72 from FLAC to wav, so I've been listening to it today.  

Erm? What's the point in conversion? FLAC is a lossless format, as is WAV, so what do you gain?

FLAC recorded CDs won't play on my system. So, unless I only want to hear stuff on the PC, I have to transfer it to WAV. I recognise I'm a techno-numpty, but if someone could put me right on this I'd be grateful.

Now listening to a rather fine, if frenetic recording from Fillmore West 29th Nov '66. Go faster! Smiley

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2010, 05:41:13 PM »

FLAC recorded CDs won't play on my system. So, unless I only want to hear stuff on the PC, I have to transfer it to WAV. I recognise I'm a techno-numpty, but if someone could put me right on this I'd be grateful.

Now listening to a rather fine, if frenetic recording from Fillmore West 29th Nov '66. Go faster! Smiley

Quite right.  You can't burn an audio CD from FLAC (you can burn a CD with FLAC files on it, but that's a different matter).  So, you either listen to the FLAC files on your PC (with something like Foobar2000) or, if you want to burn a CD that plays on an, er, CD player, your change them to Wav files and burns your CD....

MikeB (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:02 PM »

There are several programs that can burn FLAC files to audio CDs, including the pretty widely used Nero and the freeware Burrrn.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #257 on: June 01, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »

There are several programs that can burn FLAC files to audio CDs, including the pretty widely used Nero and the freeware Burrrn.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you...I know you can burn FLACs onto a disc, do it all the time, but only as storage.  They still won't play in any CD player....that was the point I was making anyway.

MikeB (Mike)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #258 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:27 PM »

What I mean is, there are programs that allow you to burn FLAC files to audio CDs that will play in a standard CD player, just like a CD burnt with WAV files will. They factor the decompression of the FLAC file in at burn time so you don't need to convert the file beforehand.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #259 on: June 01, 2010, 11:31:54 PM »

Gentlemen

Can we take the FLAC discusion to the help desk please.

Thanks,

Paul

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: