TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:48:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 871632 times)
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #200 on: May 13, 2010, 01:15:45 PM »

You can stream from the site too, and listen whilst your doodling on here. Grin

Not when you work in a library, Nick!   Grin

Jules

But The Archive is a library! Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #201 on: May 13, 2010, 01:22:30 PM »

Not when you work in a library, Nick!   Grin

Jules

But The Archive is a library! Grin

Oh to work in that kind of library!!   Tongue

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #202 on: May 14, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »

Superb footage of the Dead playing a beautiful rendition of Terrapin Station from 1977:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7TiqLGRZKU

Jerry is so bright and alert - positively radiant.  Even Donna hits the right notes, and looks lovely.  But it's Jerry who steals the show.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #203 on: May 14, 2010, 10:25:05 AM »

Superb footage of the Dead playing a beautiful rendition of Terrapin Station from 1977:-

Jerry is so bright and alert - positively radiant.  Even Donna hits the right notes, and looks lovely.  But it's Jerry who steals the show.

Jules

Some very very understated playing from Jerry in the first half and then him looking more animated than ever in the last third.  Know the recording but never seen the footage before.  Very nice....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #204 on: May 14, 2010, 10:37:03 AM »

Some very very understated playing from Jerry in the first half and then him looking more animated than ever in the last third.  Know the recording but never seen the footage before.  Very nice....

He does look beautifully animated, doesn't he?  God love him.

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #205 on: May 14, 2010, 11:11:42 AM »

i also watched the terrapin station video from anaheim in 87 with Brent
what a band, effin awasome

The Dude abides
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #206 on: May 14, 2010, 12:13:10 PM »

He does look beautifully animated, doesn't he?  God love him.

Jules

Fab clip, that Spring '77 tour is one of my favourites. thanks for posting. Curious vocal effect, sounds like multi-tracking. Not come across that before with the Dead. Rest of the show is available here:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd77-04-27.sbd.samaritano.20331.sbefail.shnf

but seemingly, only for streaming not downloading, alas (unless anyone knows any different.  Smiley)

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »

Jules

Cheesy  What absolutely wonderful, poetic music! Never heard it before. Is the studio version of that song as good? And if so, is the rest of the album up to that standard? Please  Fez

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »

Jules

Cheesy  What absolutely wonderful, poetic music! Never heard it before. Is the studio version of that song as good? And if so, is the rest of the album up to that standard? Please  Fez

Like most of their studio music, the album is flawed but beautiful....a bit like Jerry himself.  Go investigate...you won't regret it.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2010, 10:21:44 AM »

What absolutely wonderful, poetic music! Never heard it before. Is the studio version of that song as good? And if so, is the rest of the album up to that standard? Please  Fez

The studio version of Terrapin Station is superb.  It also has some later sections that the Dead didn't play live.  Well worth having.  One of my absolute faves.

The rest of the Terrapin Station album is decidedly patchy.  Bob Weir's Estimated Prophet is pretty good.  The rest of side 1 is so-so.  The title track is by far and away the best thing on there.  But it could be worth it for that alone.  Or alternatively, maybe just download the title track.

Jules

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2010, 10:30:56 AM »

Thanks guys! I notice there's a remastered and expanded version available - more impressively, a 3cd live set 'To Terrapin' for under six quid!  Shocked

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #211 on: May 18, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »

Thanks guys! I notice there's a remastered and expanded version available - more impressively, a 3cd live set 'To Terrapin' for under six quid!  Shocked

...as recommended by David on these very pages.

And yes, with all Dead CDs, get the expanded versions.  Bonus tracks aplenty.

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #212 on: May 18, 2010, 01:22:53 PM »

What absolutely wonderful, poetic music! Never heard it before. Is the studio version of that song as good? And if so, is the rest of the album up to that standard? Please  Fez

The studio version of Terrapin Station is superb.  It also has some later sections that the Dead didn't play live.  Well worth having.  One of my absolute faves.

The rest of the Terrapin Station album is decidedly patchy.  Bob Weir's Estimated Prophet is pretty good.  The rest of side 1 is so-so.  The title track is by far and away the best thing on there.  But it could be worth it for that alone.  Or alternatively, maybe just download the title track.

Jules

Talking of "Terrapin", there is a really interesting extended acoustic version of the full suit (as opposed to the truncated version, as released) on a Robert Hunter solo waxing called "Jack O'Roses" from 1980. I only have it on cassette & currently can't even find that, so I'm not sure how it matches up lyrically to the "full" version published in the book "Box Of Rain" As with lots of Hunter lyrics, it's the imagery, rather than its meaning, that is its glory. A full band version of the whole suit without the pesky choir & orchestra would have been great, but its first live outing at San Bernadino in Feb '77 is well worth checking out.  Smiley

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #213 on: May 18, 2010, 01:36:34 PM »

Talking of "Terrapin", there is a really interesting extended acoustic version of the full suit (as opposed to the truncated version, as released) on a Robert Hunter solo waxing called "Jack O'Roses" from 1980. I only have it on cassette & currently can't even find that, so I'm not sure how it matches up lyrically to the "full" version published in the book "Box Of Rain" As with lots of Hunter lyrics, it's the imagery, rather than its meaning, that is its glory. A full band version of the whole suit without the pesky choir & orchestra would have been great, but its first live outing at San Bernadino in Feb '77 is well worth checking out.  Smiley

I'd like to hear Hunter's version.  I believe there are some lyric differences between the version on the album and the version in his book.

I like the choir and orchestra myself.  I know they're not typically Dead-like, but they add dynamics to that end section and I find it enjoyable.

Is San Bernadino the only time they navigated the end sections live?  I heard they messed up one time and then abadoned the latter sections.

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #214 on: May 18, 2010, 02:08:33 PM »

I'd like to hear Hunter's version.  I believe there are some lyric differences between the version on the album and the version in his book.

I like the choir and orchestra myself.  I know they're not typically Dead-like, but they add dynamics to that end section and I find it enjoyable.

Is San Bernadino the only time they navigated the end sections live?  I heard they messed up one time and then abadoned the latter sections.

Jules

No, San Bernadino was played pretty much as the standard live version, if memory serves. Another cassette languishing in the bowels of our cellar. Looks like an exhumation weekend is due. You're quite correct, but I wasn't aware, apparently on 18th March '77, at the Winterland, they did give an extended version a go, up to "At A Siding", but as you say, it wasn't repeated. Must check that one out.  Smiley

I have a soft spot for Martyn Ford through his work with Barclay James Harvest, before they came over all European, but it just doesn't work on "Terrapin", for my money.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #215 on: May 18, 2010, 02:13:24 PM »

RH and Larry Klein... 27 May 78

It doesn't really work, but is fascinating nevertheless...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De67KvTIhkE

GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #216 on: May 18, 2010, 02:14:20 PM »

In a bid to justify my ownership of a Blu ray player, or at least have something to play on it, I have this morning ordered the Woodstock 40th Anniversary Directors Cut and am delighted to find that it includes amongst its extras a 35 minute long performance by the Grateful Dead of Turn On Your Love Light. I'm looking forward to immersing myself in that.

As for Terrapin Station, that suite is the high watermark of their studio output for my money. It is so beautiful. I love it. Actually I quite like the whole album. I am yet to hear a live version though. Perhaps I should invest in the aforementioned To Terrapin set.

Perversely, I think my next port of call is going to be the collection of Dylan covers. Got to be better than the live album actually recorded with him!
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #217 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:23 PM »

And people think Garcia has a poor singing voice!   Wink

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2010, 02:20:14 PM »

As for Terrapin Station, that suite is the high watermark of their studio output for my money. It is so beautiful. I love it. Actually I quite like the whole album. I am yet to hear a live version though.

Have a shufti at the version I posted a link for, Gub.  It's bloody marvelous!

I think I may agree with your thoughts regarding the song's status.  It is indeed mighty.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2010, 02:26:53 PM »

And people think Garcia has a poor singing voice!   Wink

Jules

You've not heard Phil and Friends, have you?   Grin

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 78   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: