TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 09:38:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 78   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Grateful Dead - where next?  (Read 880283 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2010, 07:34:30 PM »

Heh heh heh.  Been listening to that all week, Gub.  It's a rockier road that the first one, but heck, it's a fun way to blow seventy quid.   Wink

Jules

I'm familiar with bits and pieces of it already, particularly the later stuff but I am really looking forward to hearing Reckoning & Dead Set. Also Go To Heaven, just because it is so controversial!
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2010, 07:39:40 PM »

Heh heh heh.  Been listening to that all week, Gub.  It's a rockier road that the first one, but heck, it's a fun way to blow seventy quid.   Wink

Jules

I'm familiar with bits and pieces of it already, particularly the later stuff but I am really looking forward to hearing Reckoning & Dead Set. Also Go To Heaven, just because it is so controversial!

You should love the first two you mention.  Don't hold your breath for Go To Heaven.  One man's 'controversial' is this man's 'utter turkey'.   Wink

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #182 on: April 01, 2010, 12:17:36 PM »

Wasn't sure whether to post this in "Listening to" or "Bargain bin" but put it here so that anyone getting tired of Dead references can easily ignore it.

"Postcards Of The Hanging - The Grateful Dead Perform The Songs Of Bob Dylan" & "To Terrapin - Hartford '77" (That's Connecticut, not Hertfordshire, btw).

Both cracking discs, both available at Amazon for very modest outlay. Highly recommended.

"Postcards" is £4.99 & may have the 2 track bonus disc, but info is contradictory. Some excellent performances of some great Bob songs, from various (mostly 1980s) dates, without too much interference of the man himself (Ah, just noticed its on Amazon Marketplace & therefore second hand)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Postcards-Hanging-Grateful-Perform-Songs/dp/B00006314F/ref=dp_return_1?ie=UTF8&n=229816&s=music

"To Terrapin" is the last night of the Spring '77 tour, which ranks among a lot of peoples' top tours producing the "Betty Board" tapes. Full show, 3 discs, £5.99. Mmm, scrummy. Smiley

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Terrapin-Live-Hartford-May-1977/dp/B001TW2S9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1270120150&sr=1-1

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #183 on: April 01, 2010, 05:31:06 PM »

Oh dear. Have just ordered this. Back at a sensible price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyond-Description-1973-1990-Grateful-Dead/dp/B0002NUTS8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1269961013&sr=1-2

That'll be the Easter break spoken for then!  Grin

It's here...!  Smiley
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #184 on: April 02, 2010, 10:51:53 AM »

I've been getting lost in the two 4-CD sets, Ladies & Gentlemen and Steppin' Out.

Interesting to compare the two.  Whilst both are from the era I love best, the former from '71, the latter from '72, there's a marked difference.  The '71 set is ragged and sounds like a warts 'n' all document.  It's very good, but you areleft in no doubt that these are archival live recordings.  Steppin' Out however raises the stakes.  Song after song is nailed beautifully, and the jams segue into other songs in remarkable, clever ways that make you applaud or laugh.  It's heroic.  An absolutely essential set.

Jules

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #185 on: April 20, 2010, 07:54:12 AM »

Here's quite an interesting little article on the band.  Strange, but interesting.

http://www.jambands.com/news/2010/04/19/bob-lefsetz-on-the-grateful-dead

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2010, 07:53:45 PM »

Where next?  Here.  http://www.furthurfestival.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=60

Further are playing Working man's Dead, American Beauty, Anthem, Aoxomoxoa, Terrapin & Blues for Allah in their entirity.  Plus Electric Hot Tuna and loads of other good stuff.

Cash donations gratefully accepted  Grin

Sigh..............

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #187 on: April 28, 2010, 09:06:15 AM »

A copy of Road Trips vol 1 no. 3 (Summer '71) on its way to me.  Complete with bonus disc.  Cost me an arm and a leg on eBay, but I was gritty in my determination to have this set.

Will be hunting a copy of Road Trips vol 3 no. 2 next (Texas '71).

I think the real problem is going to be finding a copy Rockin' The Rhein complete with its original bonus disc.  That may take some time......

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »

This is a goodie...cheap as chips too...

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=97;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=955807

peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #189 on: May 11, 2010, 01:16:51 AM »

The GD featured as one of author's  Faye Weldon's "Desert Island Discs" (BBC Rdio4)favourite tracks last Sunday...
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #190 on: May 11, 2010, 07:42:57 AM »

The GD featured as one of author's  Faye Weldon's "Desert Island Discs" (BBC Rdio4)favourite tracks last Sunday...

Aye...Touch of Grey, I believe (although I missed it)...

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #191 on: May 11, 2010, 08:42:54 AM »

Just got my first ever Dick's Picks through the post.  Volume 35.  The high volume number fills me with a certain sense of dread.  Being a newbie Deadhead, you feel like there's such a mountain to climb.  I'll just have to try and remember to enjoy the climb and not look up, or down, too often!   Wink

Jules

quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #192 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:38 AM »

Aye...Touch of Grey, I believe (although I missed it)...

Indeed it was. She also mentioned hanging out on stage with them, but didn't explain the circumstances.

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #193 on: May 12, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »

Playing Road Trips vol 1 number 3 last night - most entertaining version of Lovelight I've yet to hear.  Lots of dynamics, lots of fun.  Really worth checking out.  It's on the bonus disc.

Some versions of this are a slog for me to get through, but this one is marked for repeat listens.

Jules

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #194 on: May 12, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »

This is a new one on me...fabulous funky version of Fire with Jerry and Carlos... It really takes off in places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmN0mFHDH2w

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #195 on: May 12, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »

Just got my first ever Dick's Picks through the post.  Volume 35.  The high volume number fills me with a certain sense of dread.  Being a newbie Deadhead, you feel like there's such a mountain to climb.  I'll just have to try and remember to enjoy the climb and not look up, or down, too often!   Wink

Jules

I've probably said it before but have you looked at the Dead stuff on Archive.org, its free and legal. Theres also some Furthur.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #196 on: May 12, 2010, 03:31:16 PM »

Jules

I've probably said it before but have you looked at the Dead stuff on Archive.org, its free and legal. Theres also some Furthur.

I've tried...I've tried...but he's a stubborn old chap.  We need to get him off-piste soon, though.....

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #197 on: May 12, 2010, 03:36:52 PM »

I'm a CD collector, fellas.  I tend to only investigate the other stuff after I've bought the hard plastic things.  I like the way they look on the shelves.  Shiny things.  [drool]

Jules

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #198 on: May 13, 2010, 07:45:02 AM »

I'm a CD collector, fellas.  I tend to only investigate the other stuff after I've bought the hard plastic things.  I like the way they look on the shelves.  Shiny things.  [drool]

Jules

You can stream from the site too, and listen whilst your doodling on here. Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #199 on: May 13, 2010, 09:25:06 AM »

You can stream from the site too, and listen whilst your doodling on here. Grin

Not when you work in a library, Nick!   Grin

Jules