TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:49:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RT song books - Now pre order!  (Read 6522 times)
ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

One more time with feeling

« on: April 03, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

Finally!
http://www.richardthompson-music.com/catch_of_the_day.asp?id=1182
might have to get the premium one Embarrassed Grin
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:45:18 PM »

Finally!!  Cheesy But £140 or £73!! Shocked  Undecided Might have to wait a while.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:07 AM »

Finally!!  Cheesy But £140 or £73!! Shocked  Undecided Might have to wait a while.

Don't have a problem with the price of the books, but £67 for a slipcase and a splash of pen and ink??  Lordy.........somewhat on the steep side methinks, Richard.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »

I used to buy songbooks when I was younger but then reckoned that if I couldn't work out the chords by listening to the record it was probably too difficult for me to play. This is what I generally find with RT's songs!  Smiley

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 06:18:34 PM »

Ordered! (the cheap set  Grin )

DC
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 07:38:35 PM »

Don't have a problem with the price of the books, but £67 for a slipcase and a splash of pen and ink??  Lordy.........somewhat on the steep side methinks, Richard.

""Premium Sets" ordered by April 15, 2010 can be personalized by Richard!"

You're not paying £67 for a slipcase and a splash of pen and ink, you're paying for the time and personalised message from a musician who has earned respect and affection from his forty odd years plying his trade, from the hundreds if not thousands of hours of emotional connection you have to him through his music. Either you think it's worth it/affordable or you don't. Everything sounds ridiculous and overpriced if it's broken down into a dreary utilitarian functionality, we're only here once - live a little.  Smiley

Having said that, I'm with ColinB, the money is probably better spent on ear training  Grin
Steve with the black dog
Your fox is male
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: The rainy Lake District

So little time, so much to do

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 09:31:08 PM »

I think I'll go for the cheaper version, and with the aid of an old Blue Peter annual make a slip case from a cornflakes packet and a roll of sticky backed plastic and next time RT is signing at Croppers, I'll make sure I bring my song books with me.  NOT

A simple life, voluntarily chosen, can be a source of strength.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »

""Premium Sets" ordered by April 15, 2010 can be personalized by Richard!"

You're not paying £67 for a slipcase and a splash of pen and ink, you're paying for the time and personalised message from a musician who has earned respect and affection from his forty odd years plying his trade, from the hundreds if not thousands of hours of emotional connection you have to him through his music. Either you think it's worth it/affordable or you don't. Everything sounds ridiculous and overpriced if it's broken down into a dreary utilitarian functionality, we're only here once - live a little.  Smiley

Having said that, I'm with ColinB, the money is probably better spent on ear training  Grin

Nice one Rory....very eloquent.... all we need to do now is getting you drinking decent whiskey  Grin

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 03:21:31 PM »

Nice one Rory....very eloquent.... all we need to do now is getting you drinking decent whiskey  Grin

Ach but Stuart, my eloquence is fueled only by dark chocolate and Talisker malt whisky.  Smiley
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:40:07 PM »

Mrs. John from Austin said I could buy a Lowden guitar if I learnt the RT Songbook back-to-front.

I was all fired up to get started 'til I saw "Madonna's Wedding" among the chosen tunes.  I may sacrifice the Lowden on principle and buy a mid-priced Martin instead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: