TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 27, 2021, 11:51:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mumford and sons  (Read 14793 times)
Sir Robert Peel
Our Man For All Seasons
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2009, 07:25:23 PM »

I was introduced to this sparkling combo by my offspring.  

In the past year, I've noticed that Mumford and Sons have been all over Radio One: Live Sessions with Zane Lowe and Colin Murray for instance and numerous 'records of the week' accolades.   They also won the title of Best Band in Ireland's Music Awards  

For their next tour of the UK a Ireland, they appear to have outgrown small venues and their Support Act role and will be playing in places like Manchester Academy and Shepherd's Bush Empire.

Here's a nice video of their folk anthem Winter Winds  
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2009, 08:31:40 PM »

I think Mumford & Sons would probably sell out Cropredy on their own now, and cause a serious security hazard on the day from those without tickets......possibly too popular amongst the 20-somethings for Cropredy?

This is meant to be an ironic comment, isn't it, Chris? Please say it is.

They played Cambridge this year, and I don't think they were overrun by non-ticket-holding 26 year olds.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »

I think Mumford & Sons would probably sell out Cropredy on their own now, and cause a serious security hazard on the day from those without tickets......possibly too popular amongst the 20-somethings for Cropredy?

They played Cambridge this year, and I don't think they were overrun by non-ticket-holding 26 year olds.

aha but its a year on from then, and they have gone stellar everwhere
except here, ive still never heard them, although my oldest child has recommended them warmly to me

The Dude abides
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »

aha but its a year on from then, and they have gone stellar everwhere
except here, ive still never heard them, although my oldest child has recommended them warmly to me

You'll love em Jim. Some nice bits on Youtube. This is very endearing. Shows How much they care about the music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rffMMlYd1oY&feature=channel

I can't imagine for one minute how they would attract anything other than a really positive younger crowd. Reminds me of the enthusiasm and vigour of a certain other band in the late 1960s and early 1970s. They are in the mainstream, yes, but only in the same way that Fairport and Steeleye were at that time.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2009, 01:30:12 PM »

They filled (3000+) a warehouse at a 'surprise' gig only announced at a week's notice in London earlier this year....

Ady
This film has not yet been rated
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: witney,oxon

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »

This band unfortunatly remind me kinda of that thing where when a band gets big they get turned onto  by people.....like a musical jealousy thing...so what if they make it big....as long as the musics great and consistent who cares....just means you'll have to get ya tickets/seats/places earlier.......
i know i've slagged off bands in my time but thats purely cause i cant stand their music...U2 for example...dont get them at all.

its like if my fave band made it big.....i wouldn't be jealous or peed off......i'd be chuffed! this thread has made me buy the album Smiley

keep your mind open!
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2009, 07:40:27 AM »

wow - it's not often i start a music thread that people actually respond to!!!!  Grin Grin Grin

it'll be fine.......
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2009, 06:27:38 PM »

Got the album as a Crimble pressie. Being an old f**t i am wary of bands with a lot of hype around them BUT have now listened to whole album 3 times. Some tracks i instantly liked others are growers. Sheen and i have found ourseves doing the 'who does that remind you of' game cos the  album is full of influences but not to its detriment. An album i  am getting very fond of and i hope i can see them this year.  
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2009, 07:22:43 PM »

Next gig is at the Forum in London on New Years Eve....

Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2010, 09:51:44 AM »

Given it a go, experienced a genuine 'Meh' moment as a result. Gawd love 'em for surfing the wave, and best wishes for a long and succesful career, but is this really the best of the bunch?

Just found out the wasp I killed yesterday was a wasp cop who was too old for this s**t and only one week away from retirement. Feel awful.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »

Given it a go, experienced a genuine 'Meh' moment as a result. Gawd love 'em for surfing the wave, and best wishes for a long and succesful career, but is this really the best of the bunch?

I must admit to having a similar feeling on hearing the record  Undecided ... I kind of wanted it to finish sooner than it did, and I got less and less out of each successive track.

Though I suspect they would be really good to see live, as there's a lot of energy there. I hope they're on at Beautiful Days; in the Big Top, Saturday early evening would be the best time, warming up the crowd for the headliners. I'll be there at the front if they are.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2010, 11:00:47 AM »

I really enjoy the Sigh No More album, and find it quite encouraging they are crossing the age barriers.  They are certainly popular in Australia, having made the top of the Triple J (national "youth broadcaster" run by the ABC) Hottest 100 this year, as voted by listeners.

Unfortunately, the countdown isn't until tomorrow, but the results were inadvertently leaked in advance... Smiley
http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/01/22/oz-day-spoiler-abc-leaks-hottest-100-victor/

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: