TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 28, 2021, 01:15:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: mumford and sons  (Read 14795 times)
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« on: December 23, 2009, 12:12:22 PM »

is anyone else loving this band in a mildly perplexed kind of way?
they have been floating around in my radar for months now but due to circumstances beyond my control (ie the reception on R2 is s**t inside the boat) i have been listening to R1 again and was shocked to hear them being played loads and really popular wiv da kids.
they are a folk rock band from london.........easy to find if you google........is folk rock getting trendy and mainstream?  is that a good thing?
please discuss.......

i really like them BTW  Grin

it'll be fine.......
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 12:18:45 PM »

Yep!  

I think I posted about them in Listening To a while back.  

I'm all in favour of singalong songs with swearing in them....highly recommended.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 12:39:49 PM »

Yep!  

I'm all in favour of singalong songs with swearing in them....highly recommended.

Sounds great! I will give them a listen.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 01:12:36 PM »

Yep!  

well that's jinxed it then...'**** you i won't do what you told me!!!!'   lol

it'll be fine.......
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 02:16:38 PM »

Excellent band - Maconie and Radcliffe have played them a fair bit. Would go down a storm at Cropredy.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 02:25:47 PM »

Excellent band - Maconie and Radcliffe have played them a fair bit. Would go down a storm at Cropredy.

agreed!!!!

it'll be fine.......
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »

http://www.mumfordandsons.com/
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 04:03:12 PM »

Father Christmas is delivering me the album (apparently all u have to do is ask!)
I have suggested them for Cropredy on a couple of sites but i guess they will be too popular/succesful/ expensive by then.
jaypeter (Peter)
ROFLMAFLOFLEBLOF
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »

they are a folk rock band from london.........easy to find if you google........is folk rock getting trendy and mainstream?  is that a good thing?
please discuss.......

More to the point, is London getting popular on Talkawhile?........................Nah.
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2009, 12:10:35 AM »

Father Christmas is delivering me the album (apparently all u have to do is ask!)
I have suggested them for Cropredy on a couple of sites but i guess they will be too popular/succesful/ expensive by then.

I don't think popular successful has ever been a bar to appearing at Cropredy. And the likes of Winwood, Holland etc don't exactly come cheap.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2009, 11:44:35 AM »

I don't think popular successful has ever been a bar to appearing at Cropredy. And the likes of Winwood, Holland etc don't exactly come cheap.

I take your point PLW.  Isuppose what i was trying to say that they may be a current popular success  ie radio 1 and 2 plays. I presume they wouldn't be headliners and acts lower down the bill at Cropredy , (even Demon Barbers) get a reduced fee based on the fact they are either getting exposure (eg 4 square) or will sell a lot of CD's (Demons) so Mumfords may be seen by Peggy as too expensive.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 11:54:47 AM by hendo » Logged
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2009, 11:53:02 AM »

I take your point PLW.  Isuppose what i was trying to say that they may be a current popular success  ie radio 1 and 2 plays. I presume they wouldn't be headliners and acts lower down the bill at Cropredy , (even Demon Barbers) get a reduced fee based on the fact they are either getting exposure (eg 4 square) or will sell a lot of CD's (Demons) so they may be expensive.

On the other hand they might just like to play there. . .lots of people do.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »

I take your point PLW.  Isuppose what i was trying to say that they may be a current popular success  ie radio 1 and 2 plays. I presume they wouldn't be headliners and acts lower down the bill at Cropredy , (even Demon Barbers) get a reduced fee based on the fact they are either getting exposure (eg 4 square) or will sell a lot of CD's (Demons) so they may be expensive.

On the other hand they might just like to play there. . .lots of people do.

That would be good but the pragmatic cynic in me ..........
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2009, 02:38:22 PM »

I think Mumford & Sons would probably sell out Cropredy on their own now, and cause a serious security hazard on the day from those without tickets......possibly too popular amongst the 20-somethings for Cropredy?

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Caer

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2009, 11:24:46 AM »

I think Mumford & Sons would probably sell out Cropredy on their own now, and cause a serious security hazard on the day from those without tickets......possibly too popular amongst the 20-somethings for Cropredy?

They're not that big are they?  They are still playing University halls on the next tour (although I know they've sold out 2 nights at the Bush Empire)....  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 11:41:45 AM »

They're not that big are they?  They are still playing University halls on the next tour (although I know they've sold out 2 nights at the Bush Empire)....  

Agree. I've not heard of them, but I have heard of Supergrass, and that wasn't really a security disaster - and they are a far larger draw than Mumford wotsit.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Albie
or tea, if that is your cup of tea
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2009, 11:53:35 AM »

I can see that the Mumfords are gaining a huge following, one friend with little interest in music was asking me what I knew about them so they are getting known, but I think they will play a plethora of festivals next year, including some big 'uns, so wouldn't see a stint at Croppers as a problem.
PLW (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2009, 02:41:09 PM »

God preserve us from 20-somethings! In 1979 we were virtually all 20-somethings, and we were a massive security hazard.
Ady
This film has not yet been rated
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: witney,oxon

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2009, 05:03:57 PM »

i heard um for the first time yesterday....really like them.....they sound like a cross between Fleet Foxes and something else i cant put me finger on.

is it right they are getting big? aint got a problem with that...nice to see a real band playing real instruments with their own songs do well and people are liking them,hopefully those same people will expand their minds and get into this folky pop or whatever style it is more and more.
at least they're not winners of some BS reallity show too..........

keep your mind open!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2009, 06:48:26 PM »

Completely agree, Ady - I've been watching them coming through from when they were touring mates with Laura Marling....

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: