TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 02:29:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very rare acetate of A Sailor's Life/Autopsy !!  (Read 15231 times)
Philip W
forgiving of the rhetorical flourish

Loc: Cambs

« on: July 14, 2009, 02:04:51 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fairport-Convention-ACETATE-alt-take-Sailors-Life-1_W0QQitemZ280368906527QQihZ018QQcategoryZ306QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m183QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DCRX%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%252BIA%26itu%3DSI%252BUS-BWR%252BLM%252BLA%252BUCI%252BUCC%26otn%3D12%26ps%3D52

A seller on Ebay is offering a unique acetate:

The A side, an early take of A Sailor’s Life pre-Swarb, was released on RT’s Watching The Dark compilation. As for the B side, a late (?) take of Autopsy, the seller says:

"The b-side of the acetate has never been released in any form except for this acetate. The song starts off with Sandy saying "agaaiinnn..." before the band sets to playing. It is a take that is very similar to the lp version and while I have been listening to this song for years, I cannot distinguish much difference between the two versions."

I presume, then, A Sailor's Life was transferred and released because it's different from the LP version, whereas Autopsy was ignored because it's "very similar". Do we have to spend $350 to check that assertion?

I wish we could launch a rescue mission in case this artifact disappears for good.

Blogs at Brush on Drum and tweets at @PhilipEMWard
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 02:20:13 PM »

"Some of the books on Sandy Denny, Richard Thompson and Ashley Hutchings have mentioned this rarity but none of the band members or Joe Boyd, the producer, have any memory of having done this pre-"Unhalfbricking" recording. If I hadn't come across it and alerted Richard, et al. this would never have seen the light of day.

This is a 12" metal acetate on the Emidisc label with hand written song titles. This is the only known recording of "A Sailor's Life" without the fiddle playing of Dave Swarbrick. It is now believed by some that the acetate recording may have occurred when the group was playing the song for Swarb so he could learn it."

Very interesting insight by the seller. Would love to keep an eye on the bidding for this one !
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 02:23:31 PM »

Fascinating. It should be saved for the nation. If I had the wherewithall, I'd bid, but alas....

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
Axel Ostermann

Loc: CAMVLODVNVM

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 03:25:03 PM »

Well, it's only got 1 day to go and there are no bids, so maybe nobody thinks it's worth the asking price.  An e-mail to the seller with a sensible offer is in order methinks...
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 03:43:54 PM »

If only I had the cash, I would buy it then get it in the hands of the relevant people (either Thompson/Nicol/Hutchings/Hurtt-Lucas/Boyd) . This is a true one-off and it's vital that it doesn't vanish after eBay.

J
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:46:33 PM »

If anyone could let Richard or Ashley know, they may well want to get in touch with the seller.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 04:54:35 PM »

You can always email 'em, Jules.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Kurt

Loc: New Castle , Colorado

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 05:40:22 PM »

Well, it's only got 1 day to go and there are no bids, so maybe nobody thinks it's worth the asking price.  An e-mail to the seller with a sensible offer is in order methinks...

It should sell.I think potential bidders are waiting so the price doesn't get driven up to high so they will bid at the last moment of the auction.

City lights don't shine,they glare
and your music doesn't speak,it swears
and in your streets,the ghosts have forgotten why they're there

Lindisfarne-City Song
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:37:37 PM »

Looks like prime pickings for a Hard Rock Cafe interment above the hostess podium.......probably in Myrtle Beach.  Cry

Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2009, 10:00:15 PM »

You can always email 'em, Jules.

I may just have mislaid their email addies, Andy.   Grin

I guess we could let RT know via beesweb.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Philip W

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »

It’s a bit of a puzzle, this. I wrote to the seller, because I’m anxious that this item go to a good home, even if I doubt I can afford to bid myself. I pointed out to them that their version of the object’s history is totally different from the one given in Hinton & Wall’s biog of Ashley. Hinton & Wall say this disc was rescued from a garbage bin behind a recording studio in the US, sold at a garage sale, then sent to the Friends of Fairport fan club, who arranged for it to be remastered at a studio in England owned by Simon Stable. The seller replied that the Ashley biog is “wrong in all almost all details”. I’ve also emailed the engineer who is named as having made the transfer, to ask if he transferred the B side as well as the A. I assume he would have done. Providing the content has been saved it’s not the end of the world if this thing disappears into some reclusive collector’s attic.

Of course, the other explanation of the discrepant stories is that there are actually two discs floating around. Is that likely?

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 11:55:11 AM »

It’s a bit of a puzzle, this. I wrote to the seller, because I’m anxious that this item go to a good home, even if I doubt I can afford to bid myself. I pointed out to them that their version of the object’s history is totally different from the one given in Hinton & Wall’s biog of Ashley. Hinton & Wall say this disc was rescued from a garbage bin behind a recording studio in the US, sold at a garage sale, then sent to the Friends of Fairport fan club, who arranged for it to be remastered at a studio in England owned by Simon Stable. The seller replied that the Ashley biog is “wrong in all almost all details”. I’ve also emailed the engineer who is named as having made the transfer, to ask if he transferred the B side as well as the A. I assume he would have done. Providing the content has been saved it’s not the end of the world if this thing disappears into some reclusive collector’s attic.

Of course, the other explanation of the discrepant stories is that there are actually two discs floating around. Is that likely?

I am quite categorically NOT passing aspersions about this seller's story, but the world is awash (that's a massive exaggeration) with superly rare acetates.  They are the easiest thing in the world to produce (if you have a friendly record printing plant!), and many acetates that have been sold for large sums of money (particularly Beatles related) have later turned out to be false, produced by people wanting to make a quick buck in the 70's and 80's especially.  You pays your money, you take your choice.  I wouldn't spend my hard earned on this without a lot more provenance than is being offered in this case....  Having said that I'm sure it will sell.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 12:31:01 PM »

Errr I would just like to say that Simon Stable was my late husband and never did we have a remastering studio, let alone remaster that particular disc. We were, however involved with the manufacturing of the Hey Day cassettes..

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 12:49:31 PM »

I wonder if it was Simon Heyworth that was meant.  He certainly does a lot of remastering...

Flobbadob!
Jamie73
Wine over Jane Birkin

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 01:02:10 PM »

Details of this version of A Sailor's Life from RT's site:

A Sailor's Life (traditional, arranged Denny, Thompson, Nicol, Hutchings, Lamble) published by Warlock Music Ltd.
Fairport Convention:
S. Denny: vocals
R. Thompson: electric guitar
S. Nicol: electric guitar
A. Hutchings: bass
M. Lamble: drums
Recorded at Olympic Studios, London, 1969
Engineer: J. Wood
NoNoise restoration by Scott Levitin at Fantasy Studios, Berkeley, California February 1993
Previously unreleased recording remastered from acetate courtesy A. Dawson, with thanks to F. Kornelussen
Produced by J. Boyd
song originally released on Unhalfbricking, 1969
Axel Ostermann

Loc: CAMVLODVNVM

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2009, 01:59:39 PM »

Well, it now has a bid.  Someone wants it  Wink
jonnybrilliant

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2009, 07:14:21 PM »

512$ all told...Now, I wonder what the Fairport acetate I had last year to clean up for Judy's anthology would have been worth....(its back with its esteemed owner now) and the box of reel to reel tapes that currently reside in my garage (carefully dry stored in bubble wrap!) might be worth! And no you can't have my address.....
Kurt

Loc: New Castle , Colorado

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2009, 07:27:17 PM »

That seller has some pretty cool stuff.I wish I would of won this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fotheringay-Nick-Drake-Sandy-Denny-Fairport-1970-progam_W0QQitemZ280367973172QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMusic_Other_Formats?hash=item41473bc334&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A13%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

City lights don't shine,they glare
and your music doesn't speak,it swears
and in your streets,the ghosts have forgotten why they're there

Lindisfarne-City Song
Philip W

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 01:09:33 PM »

I’ve had an email from the seller of this item, reassuring us that it has gone to a good home. The seller writes:

“You and the other folks at talkawhile can rest assured that it was won by someone very deserving - a longtime fan, who frequently met Sandy and RT.”

Good-oh. A story with a happy ending.
 Smiley

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 03:59:40 PM »

Why no pic of Jerry D on the cover - had he left the band?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: