TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 03:10:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: recommened something for a FC newbie......  (Read 34720 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2009, 07:09:35 PM »

You're quite right of course.  To me 'recent' Fairport means anything after Tipplers Tales (ie not recorded in the first decade of the band's existence)!  It's like recent Stones....you know from It's Only RocknRoll onwards...  Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 07:30:55 PM »

As a relative newbie myself Ade, I kinda started with the more recent stuff (Dad got me The Wood & The Wire one Christmas and I went from there).  I have to admit I'm still struggling with most of the studio albums that have been mentioned previously in this thread.  I think as much as anything it's the production - too tinny and thin-sounding for my tastes, but that's probably because I'm of the MegaBass generation...  There are some good songs on the early albums though - several of the last half-dozen or so of the newest albums have contained self-covers (as it were) and they sound GREAT with a bit of reinterpretation (and bass!!)

I think my very favourite albums are from the Maart era and arounds - Red & Gold, to name just one (cos my mind's gone blank!) - he really brought a fuller, rounder sound to the band.

What I'm saying basically is, don't forget the "really" recent stuff - it's what you'd mostly hear if you were going to see the band, after all; and it's nice to know the words! Wink

Oh, and ignore most of what anyone says in this thread (including me!) and just go out and get whatever's available whenever you can afford it - there's bound to be something you like on any given album. Smiley

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 07:33:11 PM »

You're quite right of course.  To me 'recent' Fairport means anything after Tipplers Tales (ie not recorded in the first decade of the band's existence)!  It's like recent Stones....you know from It's Only RocknRoll onwards...  Grin

Agreed, as well.............Glady's does seem to be the great "vowel shift."
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »

Recent? I like XXXV.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2009, 10:50:57 PM »

(hoping that wasn't tounge in cheek) So do I.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Dave B
Bring back the Clangers

« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2009, 01:01:42 AM »

Recent? I like XXXV.

Me too!
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 03:19:02 AM »

and me  Cheesy

it'll be fine.......
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 08:23:51 AM »

Jewel In The Crown and The Wood And The Wire are the two "recent" studio albums I return to most often. Although the oldest one already is a teenager!  Grin

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
Mister Keith
we need more flags and tipis
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 11:57:57 AM »

Ah.  When I said "recent", I meant in the last 10 years or so!  Partly because Chris' vocals always remind me of Geddy Lee and I'm partial to a bit of Rush....

And, yes, "Cropredy 08" is superb.  If only because it makes me think of the moment when Hanuman and I were leaning on the crash barriers going "Robert Plant, yeah, right......****ING 'ELL, IT'S ROBERT PLANT!!!".
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »

Well, there have only been four studio albums in the last 10 years. The Wood & The Wire (2000), XXXV (2002) Over The Next Hill (2004) and A Sense Of Occasion (2007). None of them are classics but they all have a few nice tracks. I would still maintain the Who Knows Where The Time Goes from 1997 is a pretty consistent record. It was Chris's first album with the band and contains plenty of his vocals and some of his best writing.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 03:44:02 PM »

I would still maintain the Who Knows Where The Time Goes from 1997 is a pretty consistent record. It was Chris's first album with the band and contains plenty of his vocals and some of his best writing.

First Fairport album I ever heard and the only one I owned when I went to my first Cropredy.
WestWind

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA

"No music, no life." (Tower Records)

« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »

Not that you really need any more suggestions, but I just can't help being moved to add a few complementary observations.

I, too, am very fond of THE CROPREDY BOX (1997) for its great coverage of FC's song catalog well-played, Ashley's narration, and the great opening song "Wings" which tells of the inspiration of FC and the English folk rock movement.  Also added near the end is a great studio version of "Seventeen Come Sunday".  I thought that and "Wings" would have made great "A" and "B" sides of a single.  I won't say what's at the very end; that's a surprise for you to find!  And it seems to be available for a quite reasonable price.

BUT--you really should also get LIEGE AND LIEF (which I think you said you plan to do).  The first remastered edition is fine (or even the original CD edition if money is really tight); you don't really need the latest deluxe edition.  You need it to hear Sandy's voice soaring like an angel's, and to hear the verse of "Matty Groves" that is missing from the version on THE CROPREDY BOX.

Ten years back when I used to do cassette tapes, I made a few C-60s for friends that included the whole of LIEGE AND LIEF (original CD edition) plus "A Sailor's Life" and "Who Knows Where the Time Goes?" from UNHALFBRICKING.  That just about filled the cassette and arguably covered the pinnacle of Sandy's work with FC.  "A Sailor's Life" is really the first step to what became more fully developed on L & L.  Besides Sandy's singing, it is a great instrumental workout for the other band members, and it may be the last recorded work of Martin Lamble (drummer) before he was taken away from us.  But, since we don't do cassettes any more, you might as well give in & add UNHALFBRICKING to your collection.  It's certainly a worthy addition, and some folks even prefer it over L & L.  Unless you've got a friend who could make you a CD version of what I used to do with the cassette.

Good luck & ENJOY!!!  
Cheers ///  Tom M.***

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."   (Yogi Berra)
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: