TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:31:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport @ the Barbican, 18th July  (Read 232307 times)
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« Reply #460 on: July 27, 2009, 10:22:39 AM »

Skirky discussing Pork pies. Who is talking to Sandra in this pic please, anyone owning up to being a TAWer ? Huh

That is the lovely Col D of this parish Grin

Blimey, once she finds out who's nicked her flute they'll be in big trouble... Grin

Actually it was my imaginary piccolo and I was playing my latest imaginary composition called 'A kick in the shins for Skirks'.

Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #461 on: July 27, 2009, 10:41:38 AM »

Nope, maybe it just washed over me compared to Peggy's thundering Fender 5 string.

I thought Peggy's bass was made by Crafter...

BTW I agree with Keith re Ashley's bass - rather low in the mix from where I was sitting.

Also agree that Peggy's playing was (and is) magnificent - Peggy and DM - the perfect rhythm section, IMHO...

DC
trewin

« Reply #462 on: July 27, 2009, 09:35:54 PM »

I really enjoyed the show but my only gripe was that the sound was a bit muddy at times. 1st time I had seen Iain since Maidstone 1970 he doesn't look a day older.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #463 on: August 10, 2009, 07:32:59 PM »

Starting to come to the horrible realisation that there isn't going to be a recording of this doing the rounds (although a full recording of the following night's ISB festivities has - almost literally - just appeared).

Has anyone heard anything from the 'official channels' as to whether it was indeed recorded officially, and to whether a recording is ever likely to see the light of day?  Given the number of people on stage (and the resultant labels, managers etc etc) it would probably be a nightmare to organise so I guess probably not, but one can but hope....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #464 on: August 11, 2009, 10:39:38 AM »

I'll ask the question this evening, if I can remember....

DaviD J (was geriatrix)

Loc: Bucks

« Reply #465 on: August 18, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »

Did you remember, Chris?
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #466 on: August 18, 2009, 09:51:57 AM »

I did - and unfortunately - it wasn't recorded on multi-track.

As discussed, the clearance of rights was considered too complicated....

arie

« Reply #467 on: August 18, 2009, 10:43:44 AM »

Thanks for the answer, it's not your fault that it isn't the one we hoped for.

But this leaves room for the two track recording via the mixing desk, which was undoubtly made
It will be no trouble to release that in about 50 years?
I can wait.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #468 on: August 18, 2009, 10:53:43 AM »

I was told that this wouldn't be seeing light of day, except possibly - no guarantee - as a freebie track or two from the website at some stage with a low bit-rate.

Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #469 on: August 21, 2009, 08:27:09 AM »

I know this comes very late, but thought if there was any place to leave some memories for posterity, it would be here....  I couldn't post next day because I flew to Ireland for a week, returned home in time for a week of flu, needed to get my computer repaired, and finally joined Talkawhile after enjoying the threads for a couple months.....  And didn't want to post while Cropredy was occuring in real time...

The Barbican show was a dream come true for me.  The Fairports don't get to the States much in any form (though RT does!) and to be in London for the weekend and see this lineup...I must've been borrowing against some luck equity account that will surely need to be paid back.

When Jude, Richard, Simon, and Ashley (who she didn't hesitate to name as Tyger) walked onto the stage, the swell of love in the room was palpable.  And what a delightful surprise when they launched into "Satisfied Mind," one of my very favorite old folk-country songs, with lovely vocals by Judy with the boys harmonizing on the choruses as they might have in Ashley's flat.  I only learned afterwards how difficult it usually is for Jude to play autoharp these days, so that makes it even more special.

So much has already been said, but a smattering of memories:  One Sure Thing; Iain & Simon harmonizing the haunting hums on Fotheringay; Some Sweet Day, what a surprise!; Simon bantering of Genesis Hall that "after all these years we should at least be up to Leviticus" Grin; each member taking a turn at the mike at some point, and Dave Mattacks' being the highlight.  His coming clean about buying Unhalfbricking in advance was truly a LOL moment, and Ashley's reaction was precious....AUTOPSY!  A SAILOR'S LIFE...it really was worth the price.  Seeing THESE GUYS truly finding & milking the groove was something to behold.

I've gotta disagree with almost everyone re: Ashley's bass sound/volume.  I must've had Baby Bear's chair, because from where I was sitting (back row of the middle section, dead center by the aisle) the mix was just right all night...after a slight volume raise for Mattack's snare, which had been my only wish!  Ashley was masterful on bass, I was loving every note and I thought he was NICE 'N loud and he was very much in the Sailor's fray.  Having the great fortune to meet him after the show, I mentioned how special it was to see "you guys jam" on that song, and he said with no little (if quiet) emotion, "yeah, that was something, wasn't it?"
Ashley raising his fist as Simon launched into Come All Ye, Simon & Ashley harmonizing on the choruses (STRONG); Thompson's rhythm stabs getting louder & more wicked on the later verses of Tam Lin; Mattacks doing the buildup snare fill for "Set him free!" in the Deserter; Richard flashing timeout to Simon before the Matty false start; the beautiful Crazy Man Michael that I've heard no one mention; Chris Wile's finest moment, I thought, and the haunted hushed ending where you could've heard a tear drop; the Lark's In the Morning Medley!!! & instrumental finale of Matty Groves....SMOKIN' stuff from the boys; Simon's noting before Matty that "well, I guess you know what's next" Grin
Ashley leaving the stage after a distinguished performance of 17 songs as THE bass player...is that a treat or what?
Then.....Peggy!!!  Haven't seen him since early 90's Jethro Tull, and what a walking fun factory he is.  The Full House set is short but OH so sweet....  The harmonies on Walk Awhile filled my heart to near bursting (and finally a lead verse from Richard!), Doctor of Physick was WICKED, and then...."This next one's a Scottish ballad".....SIR PATRICK SPENS made my night.  To me, it's the quintessential Full House live song, and after Swarb rsvp'd I'd mentally removed it from possibility.  When I realized after a half-second what they were playing I had to stifle a "YEAH!"  Once again, to see those guys singing  those lines, those harmonies (with Richard smoking on the breaks) was really something.  Can I pause here to say how much I loved Chris Leslie?  I'd never seen him, and he totally won me over, musically, vocally, and with his humbly joyful spirit.  He shared more than a few moments with RT, the two meeting eyes from opposite sides of the stage in a line of energy zapping right through everyone else.  And then......DIRTY LINEN.  Classic.  Absolutely smoking, Pegg's bass firing like an automatic weapon (remember, too, people, he plays with a pick so it's bound to be a sharper sound than the Guvner's).  The team of Pegg/Thompson facing off with team Nicol/Leslie in an ecstatic battle of riffs....and Dave Mattacks supplying both sides with lethal rhymic ammunition.  Come to think of it, musical MVP of the night just might have to go to Mr. Mattacks.  Sensational all night.

My gosh, this novel is going to get me kicked off this board after my 2nd post!  I'll just say I was getting filled up during Si Tu Doir Partir, and with Meet On the Ledge the tears flowed openly.  Simon, Iaian, and yes! Richard! each taking a verse, to see the whole family up there (I've never been to a Cropredy so indulge me!), Richard bellowing a "WELLL" on the last chorus where Sandy might've.......  Ashley just taking it all in (still singing along) from beside the drum kit; which he confirmed afterwards was indeed what he was doing.

A concert, and an evening, I'll never ever forget.  Did I mention that I met Jude afterwards, too, and she gave me a hug??!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #470 on: August 21, 2009, 08:51:51 AM »

"Humbly joyful spirit" - I don't think I have ever heard Chris described better.

Welcome Tony and thank you for this review. I agree with every word and it has brought the memories flooding back. Gig of the year, maybe of the decade. What a shame there will not be any audio souvenir.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #471 on: August 21, 2009, 08:57:03 AM »

Thanks Tony for that great review, which took me straight back to the Barbican again, and just made me wish once more that there was going to be some more long-lasting memoir of the evening.

It will indeed be the gig of the decade, I reckon.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Simon Withers

« Reply #472 on: August 21, 2009, 10:41:54 AM »

great stuff...a lovely review Tony and I really enjoyed reading it.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #473 on: August 21, 2009, 10:57:55 AM »

Yes, a great review of a fantastic evening. Any audio of the proceedings would be so well-received, it's such a shame that full multi-track recording couldn't have been organised.  Just imagine - a double CD available in time for Xmas...

Flobbadob!
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #474 on: August 21, 2009, 01:46:40 PM »

Great review Tony. I almost feel I was there!

Get yourself over to Cropredy some time.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #475 on: August 21, 2009, 03:16:27 PM »

Fantastic review Tony. One of the best gigs I've ever been to in my life.
Tim Fletcher
Spotify hasn't heard of him either!
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London - almost Muswell Hill!

« Reply #476 on: August 21, 2009, 04:15:19 PM »

Yes, a great review of a fantastic evening. Any audio of the proceedings would be so well-received, it's such a shame that full multi-track recording couldn't have been organised.  Just imagine - a double CD available in time for Xmas...

In the absence of an audio version has anyone been sad enough to assemble an iTunes playlist of the the songs played that evening in the right order? OK - that'll just be me then ...

I really must get around to thinking up something witty and urbane to put here.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #477 on: August 21, 2009, 04:54:39 PM »

Great review, sums up a great show, couldn't have put it better myself, etc. !
Tony F

« Reply #478 on: August 22, 2009, 08:31:37 AM »

In the absence of an audio version has anyone been sad enough to assemble an iTunes playlist of the the songs played that evening in the right order? OK - that'll just be me then ...

Ha, I've actually thought about it!  On burned CD, that is, since I'm still living in the last century and still don't have iTunes.

I'd originally planned to drop by the Fox and Anchor before the show and commune with some of you, but was still at the Tower of London (doing a touristy turn, I confess) when I realized it was 5:20pm and I still had to tube all the way across town to my hotel, grab my ticket & change, and make my way to the venue!  Quite typical of me, though!
Tony F

« Reply #479 on: August 22, 2009, 08:34:42 AM »

Get yourself over to Cropredy some time.

Thanks, PLW, I certainly hope to!  Nearly did this year....maybe next....!
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: