TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:34:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 10 things you didn't know about Richard Thompson in Time out magazine  (Read 6335 times)
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« on: January 16, 2009, 12:04:08 PM »

The current issue of Time out  15th - 21st has the above article in it. Did you know his worst ever hangover was on tour with Sandy denny in New York when the Rhythm section decided to have a drinking contest? he passed out! "sandy could drink us all under the table"
He coached Arnies son at football?
Ice hockey is his most favourite thing in the whole world? LA kings his favourite team and he has a signed hockey stick!
etc etc
 Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 12:26:07 PM »

I knew about coaching Arnie's son at soccer.....'football' in the States is a different game. RT has chatted about this while on tour.

Rodger

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2009, 08:01:41 PM »

Did you know his worst ever hangover was on tour with Sandy denny in New York when the Rhythm section decided to have a drinking contest? he passed out! "sandy could drink us all under the table"

Haha, I could well believe that anyone's worst hangover was on tour with Sandy Denny   Grin
tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2009, 09:18:25 PM »

The current issue of Time out  15th - 21st has the above article in it. Did you know his worst ever hangover was on tour with Sandy denny in New York when the Rhythm section decided to have a drinking contest? he passed out! "sandy could drink us all under the table"
He coached Arnies son at football?
Ice hockey is his most favourite thing in the whole world? LA kings his favourite team and he has a signed hockey stick!
etc etc
 Grin
Hasn't he lived in LA for the past several years, for the two days a year when he actually is at home? That is a trip that he has become a hockey fan, I will bet someone took him to a game, that is how the bug usually is passed, and it can be a brilliant game, though LA is hardly a traditional hockey hotbed partly because its freaking 80 degrees there most of the time, though I think they sell out most or all of their games, and obviously there are millions of people there who are not from there but might be from Montreal, Detroit or Moscow. Additionally although I know ice hockey is played in Britain, as well as baseball and American football, I suspect the vast majority playing are not native to the UK, as far as I know most of our sports remain something of an obscurity there.  I recall when I got to meet him nearly 20 years ago he was much taller and maybe athletic looking than I suspected, I am 6'3 and I recall him to be as tall as me though the meeting was brief and accidental, he was out in the hallway prior to playin at this nice theater out on Navy Pier in Chicago. That is an issue I need to see, interesting premise.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 09:32:42 PM »

I met him very briefly, (or rather simply spoke with him for about 30 seconds), after the Cambridge gig the other night, but, yes, he is very tall still. I also remember watching him play cricket in the traditional Sunday afternoon match between Fairport and the Cropredy village side, after the festival had finished 2 or 3 years ago and he looked very tall as he was bowling.
Great "100 YEARS OF POPULAR MUSIC" at the Barbican last night by the way, which belongs in another thread, I know, but I can't to be bothered to "cut and paste" this now. I was so glad I saw the whole show this time, (was late and missed the first half at Cambridge). The first half, is much more interesting than the second IMHO.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 01:55:34 AM »

ahem. "1,000".

ay theng yaw.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru