TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 08:35:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bob Dylan UK dates 2009  (Read 112058 times)
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sutton,Surrey

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2009, 12:52:22 PM »

the latest................

I'm back from my winter holidays and back in touch with the Promoters. The rumour of a show at the London Forum (HMV Forum) is untrue. There will be a second London show on the 26th. I do not yet know the venue but have every  reason to believe that it will be mixed seating and standing. Details of the show - venue, costs of tickets, seating/GA arrangements - will be made available when the "boss-man" promoter returns from his Winter holiday on Wednesday. They will contact me then and I'll pass info on to you as soon as I receive it.

just in case anyone is interested.

AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2009, 02:48:08 PM »

Yes I'm interested.

My son works at HMV's head office, and I've been having a battle royal with him this weekend...

"I'm sorry, Mum, but it's not true"

"Yes it is 'cos Billy on TAW says so"

Embarrassed

But don't think twice, it's alright  Grin
AngieH
I shall be in a box

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2009, 02:53:55 PM »

Brixton, do you think?
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »

Brixton, do you think?

Sorry about that ! The  message i posted today is from a very reliable chap who actually gets us good tickets for UK Dylan shows.It seems somebody else jumped the gun.I'll post it here if i hear first.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2009, 12:01:02 AM »

Update...........

Another UK Show?

The promoter is still not ready to release the details of the venue and there will definitely be no information this week. What I do know is -

1. There will definitely be one extra London show,

2. It will not be at the Forum as rumoured on some of the Dylan boards,

3. It will be on Sunday 26th,

4. It looks very much as if this show will have reserved seating and standing. I guess the standing would be on the floor at the front with seating in the balcony(ies),

5. There will be no support act for this or for any other UK show,

6. Tickets will be made available for fans – how many depends on the size of the venue.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2009, 06:22:53 AM »

Update...........

Another UK Show?

The promoter is still not ready to release the details of the venue and there will definitely be no information this week. What I do know is -

1. There will definitely be one extra London show,

2. It will not be at the Forum as rumoured on some of the Dylan boards,

3. It will be on Sunday 26th,

4. It looks very much as if this show will have reserved seating and standing. I guess the standing would be on the floor at the front with seating in the balcony(ies),

5. There will be no support act for this or for any other UK show,

6. Tickets will be made available for fans – how many depends on the size of the venue.

Academy or SB Empire then?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2009, 09:12:11 AM »

He is my god; I've seen him many many times, first was 1965. Around 6 years ago I swore never again, and then couldn't resist Brixton Academy a couple of years ago.

The songs were almost unrecognisable, he was playing a keyboard sideways on to the audience and never once looked round at us, let alone spoke.  I really got the impression he was taking the p***.

And yet, and yet...

Undecided

I could have written that myself. Apart from the 1965 bit. I was 1!

I saw Bob Dylan at Wembley Arena in the mid eighties. The support acts were Roger McGuin and then Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. They both then formed part of Bob's backing band. Bob was on great form if I remember correctly and I can still remember the sensation of hearing those classic songs sung by the man himself. Don't know if he spoke much in that concert but I've such good memories of that night I've decided not to chance another Dylan show.

I saw him on that tour but I think it must have been a different night. It was one of the two worst Bob shows I have been to. It was the night after the hurricane and I had to move heaven and earth to get there from the coast as there was no public transport and most of the roads were blocked with fallen trees and debris. Roger was good.  Tom was good. Bob was grumpy and disdainful and only played for 50 minutes. As I recall, he didn't play Hurricane, Shelter From The Storm or Blowin' In The Wind which would at least have been appropriate! AND my T Shirt went all baggy and mis-shapen first time I washed it.

And yet, and yet...
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2009, 12:01:56 PM »

Not sure if I  would go..although if he was to play S.Bush or Brixton in London, I might be tempted. Used to love him, but his shambolic and disrespectful performance at Live Aid in '85 turned me against him for a long time.
Seen him only 5 times in total- Blackbush Aerodrome in 1978, (fantastic, and he was in a really good mood for once- actually joked with the 200,000 audience); Earls Court- I think later in that same year, (good but not as great  as Blackbush); Wembley Stadium, I think 1985, (with a band which included ex-Stone Mick Taylor, and support from Santana, maybe also UB40? - memories start to fade a little- whole day somwhat spoilt for me by being stupid enough to get caught trying to evade a fare on the train getting there- but I think it was a good concert!); the old London Fleadh- sometime in the early 90's- (no song sounded anything like it's original version, which maybe some people may think is a good thing but it did little for me, but worst of all was the rain that day in open-air Finsbury Park..it poured and it poured and it poured...); finally caught the tail end of his performance at the Princes Trust Hyde Park concert in 1996, playing with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood (dreadfull, echoes of Live Aid 11 years before- they sounded terrible). I do know that a lot of people say some of his more recent concerts have been some of the best ever- so who knows??
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2009, 03:09:04 PM »

Not sure if I  would go..although if he was to play S.Bush or Brixton in London, I might be tempted. Used to love him, but his shambolic and disrespectful performance at Live Aid in '85 turned me against him for a long time.
Seen him only 5 times in total- Blackbush Aerodrome in 1978, (fantastic, and he was in a really good mood for once- actually joked with the 200,000 audience); Earls Court- I think later in that same year, (good but not as great  as Blackbush); Wembley Stadium, I think 1985, (with a band which included ex-Stone Mick Taylor, and support from Santana, maybe also UB40? - memories start to fade a little- whole day somwhat spoilt for me by being stupid enough to get caught trying to evade a fare on the train getting there- but I think it was a good concert!); the old London Fleadh- sometime in the early 90's- (no song sounded anything like it's original version, which maybe some people may think is a good thing but it did little for me, but worst of all was the rain that day in open-air Finsbury Park..it poured and it poured and it poured...); finally caught the tail end of his performance at the Princes Trust Hyde Park concert in 1996, playing with Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood (dreadfull, echoes of Live Aid 11 years before- they sounded terrible). I do know that a lot of people say some of his more recent concerts have been some of the best ever- so who knows??

Earl's Court was before Blackbushe,Wembley was in 1984,The Fleadh was in 1993 and Keith Richards did not play with Dylan at Hyde Park in 1996.

The best year's of the so called Never Ending Tour in my humble opinion are 1988 (the first year)
1995 and 2000.

The trouble with Bob Dylan is that almost every time someone opens their gob about him they get it all wrong.

Fleadh Festival

Finsbury Park

London, England

12 June 1993

1.  Hard Times (Stephen Foster)

2.  Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again

3.  All Along The Watchtower

4.  You're A Big Girl Now

5.  Tangled Up In Blue

6.  One Irish Rover (Van Morrison)

7.  Watching The River Flow

8.  Jim Jones (trad. arr. by Bob Dylan)

9.  Mr. Tambourine Man

10.  Maggie's Farm

11.  It Ain't Me, Babe

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2009, 06:54:09 PM »

Wembley Stadium, I think 1985, (with a band which included ex-Stone Mick Taylor, and support from Santana, maybe also UB40? - memories start to fade a little- whole day somwhat spoilt for me by being stupid enough to get caught trying to evade a fare on the train getting there- but I think it was a good concert!);

It was a GREAT concert. Made more so by the contrast with how dull Santana & UB40 had been beforehand!
peterwales
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2009, 07:14:52 PM »

[quote author=billy link=topic=30024.msg415044#msg415044 date=1233500944

Earl's Court was before Blackbushe,Wembley was in 1984,The Fleadh was in 1993 and Keith Richards did not play with Dylan at Hyde Park in 1996.

The best year's of the so called Never Ending Tour in my humble opinion are 1988 (the first year)
1995 and 2000.

The trouble with Bob Dylan is that almost every time someone opens their gob about him they get it all wrong.

Fleadh Festival

Finsbury Park

London, England

12 June 1993

Allright, fair enough, sorry for opening my "gob"- I did say I wasn't sure about what year Wembley was, etc.- but not wanting to get into an "anorak" argument, the Earls court concert was definetly after Blackbush. Not sure now, who played with him at Hyde Park in 1996, but Ronnie Wood was at least, I'm sure one of them, can anybody clarify this?
Sorry again for "opening my gob", but all memories are of special times, and sometimes they do get distorted with those times.
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2009, 07:18:58 PM »

Not sure now, who played with him at Hyde Park in 1996, but Ronnie Wood was at least, I'm sure one of them, can anybody clarify this?

I was at that one too but I have no memory of who was in the band. It wasn't one of Bob's better days from what I recall.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2009, 08:41:25 PM »

[quote author=billy link=topic=30024.msg415044#msg415044 date=1233500944

1995 and 2000.

Fleadh Festival

Finsbury Park

London, England

12 June 1993

Allright, fair enough, sorry for opening my "gob"- I did say I wasn't sure about what year Wembley was, etc.- but not wanting to get into an "anorak" argument, the Earls court concert was definetly after Blackbush. Not sure now, who played with him at Hyde Park in 1996, but Ronnie Wood was at least, I'm sure one of them, can anybody clarify this?
Sorry again for "opening my gob", but all memories are of special times, and sometimes they do get distorted with those times.

Sorry mate that was not aimed at you specifically just in general.Everything you read about the bloke seems to be full of mistakes.Ronnie Wood did indeed play at Hyde Park in 1996.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2009, 08:47:32 PM »

In 1978 Dylan played these  shows in England.

Earl's Court,London..................15,16,17,18,19 and 20 June

Blackbushe Aerodrome,Camberley...........15 July
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2009, 08:52:11 PM »

Hyde Park
London, England
29 June 1996

Concert # 338 with the 9th Never-Ending Tour Band: Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar), Bucky Baxter (pedal steel guitar & electric slide guitar), John Jackson (guitar), Tony Garnier (bass), Winston Watson (drums & percussion).

Guests were Ronnie Wood and Al kooper.Kooper had played shortly before at two concerts in Liverpool.

GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2009, 09:09:27 PM »

In 1978 Dylan played these  shows in England.

Earl's Court,London..................15,16,17,18,19 and 20 June

Blackbushe Aerodrome,Camberley...........15 July

If it's any help, he played at Earls Court again in 1981, in the days when his visits to the UK were still relatively rare. I was at one of those gigs too.
peterwales
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2009, 10:41:48 PM »

Then it was 1981 when I must have seen him at Earl's Court; certainly after Blackbush. Agree with you about Santana and UB40  in 1984- particularly Santana. I was always very fond of them and was looking forward to seeing them- then I get virtually arrested for not buying a ticket to Wembley on the train from Hackney where I then lived, (eventually being fined £75- lot of money in those days!), and Santana played a set of jazz/funk, not what we were expecting, and none of the "Abraxas", "Caravanserai" albums we were so familiar with.
billy
So wassup you guys?
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2009, 11:32:26 PM »

Do you still try to jib it on the trains ?
peterwales
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2009, 09:07:40 AM »

No! Those days of minor criminality are long gone; as are the days when I used to hitchhike to gigs and festivals- does anyone hitch anywhere these days? It's one of those "pastimes"/modes of travel that seemed to have disappeared as the times have changed. It was virtually an essential component of an "alternative"-type culture. Which reminds me, that as I travelled with friends by car from London to that memorable Blackbushe concert in 1978, (as well Dylan, Clapton played, and several big names of the time, including, I think, Joan Armadrading?), we were amused that someone had written "Hippies Graveyard" on virtually every signpost between London and the festival site in Surrey/Hampshire.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2009, 10:04:47 AM »

Hyde Park
London, England
29 June 1996

Concert # 338 with the 9th Never-Ending Tour Band: Bob Dylan (vocal & guitar), Bucky Baxter (pedal steel guitar & electric slide guitar), John Jackson (guitar), Tony Garnier (bass), Winston Watson (drums & percussion).

Guests were Ronnie Wood and Al kooper.Kooper had played shortly before at two concerts in Liverpool.

Was this with the Who doing Quadrophenia or am I getting Hyde Park gigs confused?  If so, I was at this.  Didn't EC also come on stage with him (he'd played earlier as well hadn't he?)....There...I've probably confused 3 gigs into 1 imaginery one!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: