TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
October 17, 2019, 02:46:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prog Rock Britannia  (Read 31521 times)
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 12:34:39 PM »

There were so many missed out (Camel? Alan Parsons Project?) that I'm beginning to think I didn't go through a prog rock phase at all.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Global Moderator

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 12:37:37 PM »

Isn't it a three-part trilogy?

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 12:38:24 PM »

Isn't it a three-part trilogy?

Trilogies usually are, dude  Grin

Given the scale of prog-rock it is inevitable that there will be much that is either glossed over or not covered at all - as much as that will irk prog-rock fans. For me, it could have been a 12-part series and I would still be wanting more.

Loved the Soft Machine stuff and remembering watching Soft Machine at the Albert Hall that the BBC broadcast at the time.

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
AnnieD
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 02:00:25 PM »

Oh and definitive Genesis to be described with PG interviews? If not current ones then there have been many over the years. He was simply sidelined.  Which is shameful.

Couldn't abide it one iota. As you may have guessed.

And you would've thought that Steve Hackett wasn't even in the band!

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not Perfect. Never Claimed To Be.

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 06:57:50 PM »

Good point, well made!

See What I did in 2018  for a selection of my photos.
Tony H
Has a good head for figures

Loc: Leicester

the artist formally known as molar

« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 11:42:02 AM »

Thought there'd be a thread on this and doing a search it said You may have meant to search for prig rock Brittani.

Anyways.  Watchable stuff I suppose it being a fairly semi serious documentary. I'm now actually more inclined towards Yes notwithstanding the crass stuff from Wakeman.  
I was a bit annoyed with Ian Anderson whom I thought was making it up about TAAB being a piss take.  I'm sure at the time it he was serious about it.  He didn't mention Passion Play which got panned at the the time and caused him to throw a mardy and not speak to the press.

Good old Egg and Robert Wyatt.

Never in the field...
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 11:44:09 AM »

I watched most of this and rather enjoyed it. Nice to see some of the heros of my youth in full flight again.
Dear old Rick was only trying to be witty
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »

Thought there'd be a thread on this and doing a search it said You may have meant to search for prig rock Brittani.

that's cos you've found the sith ifricin version of TAW, molar!!

it'll be fine.......
Tony H
Has a good head for figures

Loc: Leicester

the artist formally known as molar

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 12:26:31 PM »

Oh my lord.
I spelt Brittania wrong and can't change it.  

Never in the field...
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 12:31:17 PM »

Repeated tomorrow at 9 p.m. for those of us who missed it  Smiley

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 12:40:43 PM »

Oh my lord.
I spelt Brittania wrong ... 
Twice!  Grin LOL

Sory, couldn't resist.  Grin
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 01:21:53 PM »

It was a nice programme I thought. I was hoping to see a bit more Jethro Tull, but Aqualung and Thick as a Brick being mentioned on it, kinda sums up their prog rock period. I would place Jethro Tull under the category 'Abitofeverything Rock'.

Imponderable Joy
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »

[ducks]

Shocked Shocked incoming!!!!!!!  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

enter, sir tullist of the jethro to correct you..................................

it'll be fine.......
malcolm weaver

Loc: Notts.

« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »

I watched with much interest  the ELP bits, I wish someone could find more footage of King Crimson from 69 though!!

Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2009, 01:50:46 PM »

Oh my lord.
Twice!  Grin LOL

Ahem!  Grin

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Paul
I've Got A Bike

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »

I've merged the two topics, and changed to the correct title.

Paul

tullist/raymond
I'll grab my shield and rhythm stick
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: river forest, illinois USA

the others knew nothing about spekkatacles

« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 03:43:36 PM »

[ducks]

enter, sir tullist of the jethro to correct you..................................
No way Groove, I and most Tull fiends would agree with the Kascade Kid. I grew up through prog rock and still love alot of it, and consider it in some hands to still be a highly viable form. But I don't like it when either the media or Ian himself lumps Tull together with Yes, Moody's, ELP and Genesis. I have liked much of what all those 4 have done, just not most of it and considered all of those 4 to have been way more guilty of prog's infamous excesses, although during those years I feel Tull received the bulk of the critical wrath. God they love that codpiece, cannot get enough of it. And I will agree it would have looked pretty dumb on Elvis Costello or Stiv Bator. Man you got to earn the right to wear the codpiece, even Ian only had 3 or 4 codpiece worthy years, 71-5. I also like alot of that punk crowd quietly while no one was looking remaining Tull fans, Ramones, Johnny Rotten and Nick Cave come to mind. OK Nick Cave ain't punk. I have been an observer of Rock with varying degrees of interest since Feb 7, 64 and have yet to see anything with the originality of Jethro Tull maintained over 41 years, deeply in and mostly way out of the bright lights. I have noted other potential contenders such as say, King Crimson or even Fairport or Steeleye and the best I can say is, nice try, next. I think Ian's codpiece, David Palmer's sex change and Ian's flag comments have received as much mainstream ink as about 30 years of recorded output, largely trivialized as being the snot and panties guy from Aqualung, while their peers such as the thirty years dead Led Zeppelin are treated as a diety, although they can have that. I saw them both in their alleged heyday, and believe me it was not close, Tull vastly their live superior, and reliable on a nightly basis. They have been and do remain in my mind the most under valued commodity in the history of all rock music, not just prog. But if the alternative is to pay 300 dollars to see them in the stadium it has been very much for the better.

"Be this gung or be this ho may glorious battle resurrect you"
Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »

Oh my lord.
Twice!  Grin LOL

Ahem!  Grin
That was deliberate  Smiley
You weren't aware of the rule against pointing out someone's spelling/grammar mistake without making one of your own? I think it's a good rule so I adhere to it strictly.
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 09:07:57 PM »

Oh my lord.
Twice!  Grin LOL

Ahem!  Grin
That was deliberate  Smiley
You weren't aware of the rule against pointing out someone's spelling/grammar mistake without making one of your own? I think it's a good rule so I adhere to it strictly.

Yeah, course you do Bob. Grin

Okay Mods, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off topic.......I'll get my coat.

That's not dirt, it's patination!
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 06:21:53 AM »

[ducks]

No way Groove, I and most Tull fiends would agree with the Kascade Kid. I grew up through prog rock and still love alot of it, and consider it in some hands to still be a highly viable form. But I don't like it when either the media or Ian himself lumps Tull together with Yes, Moody's, ELP and Genesis. I have liked much of what all those 4 have done, just not most of it and considered all of those 4 to have been way more guilty of prog's infamous excesses, although during those years I feel Tull received the bulk of the critical wrath. God they love that codpiece, cannot get enough of it. And I will agree it would have looked pretty dumb on Elvis Costello or Stiv Bator. Man you got to earn the right to wear the codpiece, even Ian only had 3 or 4 codpiece worthy years, 71-5. I also like alot of that punk crowd quietly while no one was looking remaining Tull fans, Ramones, Johnny Rotten and Nick Cave come to mind. OK Nick Cave ain't punk. I have been an observer of Rock with varying degrees of interest since Feb 7, 64 and have yet to see anything with the originality of Jethro Tull maintained over 41 years, deeply in and mostly way out of the bright lights. I have noted other potential contenders such as say, King Crimson or even Fairport or Steeleye and the best I can say is, nice try, next. I think Ian's codpiece, David Palmer's sex change and Ian's flag comments have received as much mainstream ink as about 30 years of recorded output, largely trivialized as being the snot and panties guy from Aqualung, while their peers such as the thirty years dead Led Zeppelin are treated as a diety, although they can have that. I saw them both in their alleged heyday, and believe me it was not close, Tull vastly their live superior, and reliable on a nightly basis. They have been and do remain in my mind the most under valued commodity in the history of all rock music, not just prog. But if the alternative is to pay 300 dollars to see them in the stadium it has been very much for the better.

i knew you'd come tullist, it wouldn't have been the same without you :-)

it'll be fine.......
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: