TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:11:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beryl Marriott folk pianist  (Read 64803 times)
Rob
n3wb

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 07:22:33 PM »

Thanks for update. I've phoned a couple of times and will write again tomorrow. It must have been a hard Xmas and New Year but hopefully the road ahead is a bit less bumpy than it was and Beryl will be up and about soon - and occasionally sampling what DM used to call her 'nerve tonic'.

rob
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2009, 09:31:53 PM »

I have just heard from Jill that Beryl was well enough to return to her home today, she will need a lot of care, but she is doing very well.

Jude Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #42 on: February 02, 2009, 10:01:22 PM »

Excellent news Jude, Thanks for the update.

And here's hoping for a continued recovery for Beryl.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2009, 10:12:56 PM »

Thanks Jude - first bit of good news for a while.

Here's to continuing recovery for a rather amazing lady Smiley

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »

So good to hear good news  Grin Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2009, 11:52:19 AM »

That sounds very positive... I must tell my Mum, who I took to see FC when Beryl toured with them. They are of a similar vintage I think (Mum & Beryl, not Mum & FC!)

Cheesy

Flobbadob!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »

That's wonderful news Jude. Thanks. Tiara

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2009, 10:46:26 PM »

I see (thanks to the Fairport website for theinfo) that Beryl has been awarded an EFDSS Gold Badge. The citation deserves repeating in full:

"The Society are today officially awarding the immensely influential and gifted
pianist Beryl Marriott, their highest accolade: The Gold Badge.

Many will be aware of Beryl Marriott because of their interest in Fairport Convention, but her whole oeuvre can now be highlighted and her importance confirmed. Not only is she a mentor to many of us in British Traditional Music but she is a hugely talented and fine musician.

As a young woman, she trained as a teacher, specializing in P.E., where her ability to improvise for dance was soon noticed. She taught in Manchester and Birmingham.

In 1950, she met the fiddler Kay Graham, while staying at the YWCA - Kay sadly passed away last year. They began a lifelong friendship and musical collaboration. During that period, they were overheard by a member of the Society who put them in touch with Ken Clarke and they were soon playing for the Society.

Beryl left teaching to become a full-time musician and along with Kay Graham, became well-known in Birmingham for English and Scottish dancing. Along with the Emerald Isle Ceilidhe Band, they were winners of the Feis Birmingham.

In 1953, Beryl moved to London and was soon playing regularly for the Society.

She worked with those taught by Cecil Sharp - Douglas and Helen Kennedy, Marjorie Sinclair and Elsie Avril and took part in all the major festivals, especially Stratford upon Avon and the annual Albert Hall events.

She appeared on several of the Society's records and broadcast regularly Midland region programmes. She also played for the Royal Scottish Dance society and the Highland Society.

In 1957, after marrying Roger, she returned to the Midlands, devoting most of her time to her family, but still found time to organise the first Birmingham Players' Club, noted for its 1959 Alnwick Summer School, and to work with Charles Parker of Radio Ballad fame, who she introduced to Folk Music.

It was at this time in the late 1950s that a young skiffle band won a talent contest in the Birmingham area. Beryl and roger Marriott were then celebrities in and around the Birmingham music scene and the prize for winning this contest was to meet Beryl and Roger.

The young lad playing guitar in this group was Dave Swarbrick.

Beryl spotted what she said was a 'natural talent' and took me under her wing. She found out that as a boy I had played the violin and she actively encouraged me to drop the guitar and take up the fiddle again, saying "guitarists are ten-a-penny, fiddlers are not, ducky!"

Beryl has always been a tour-de-force, and from that chance event and by coming under her mentoring and active participation with traditional music, my well documented career began.

In 1963 until 1967, Beryl was in Canada, where she ran a workshop at the Mariposa Folk Festival. She became involved in education for children with special needs and founded the English department of the Toronto French School, now one of the International Schools.

In 1967, she returned to England undertaking pioneering work in education specializing in Special Needs, a field in which she had a wide reputation.

Beryl's musical career spans the whole of the post-war Folk Revival. She is the last active musician who learned from those who worked with Cecil Sharp, carrying on the tradition established by him.

Her experience of traditional dance playing is unrivalled and she is regarded as the leading folk keyboard player and an outstanding teacher of dance playing.

Her influence upon the folk scene has been hugely significant. She has always had a unique and special talent. Her contribution to folk music has up until now been perhaps too well hidden under a bushel.

I am totally confident in my convictions that without Beryl Marriott, the Folk Scene over the past 50 years would not have the diversity of flavours and colours that it enjoys today.

Many of us involved in the Tradition, including Folk-Rock, owe Beryl an enormous debt of gratitude, for opening up possibilities and such tremendous joys in music since the 1960s to the present day. To name but a few: Myself, Chris Leslie, Simon Mayor, Hilary James, Richard Green, Fairport Convention and on and on...

All of us have learnt a great deal and we enjoy a strong foundation in being nurtured by Beryl and hopefully, take up her baton, by continuing to encourage the young, up and coming musicians of the future to be involved in the Tradition.

Beryl has charisma. She is a charismatic musician as well as a charismatic character.
She is larger than life even though diminutive in physical size. When Beryl sits at the piano and starts to play, it is literally spellbinding and none can match her.

This Gold Badge is long overdue. Accolades should have been showered upon Beryl Marriott. Perhaps, if she had concentrated purely on music, she would have the fame and applause she missed out on by being a woman, a mother and a teacher.

All of us who are blessed to know her as a dear friend and as a musician of the highest quality and influence, salute her this evening and congratulate her on receiving the Gold Badge."

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »

An amazing Lady, and I'm so glad I was able to include her in 'Festival Folk'! See page 90 to remind yourselves how she appeared on stage at Cropredy in 2003.

And just for once this is not a sales plug...... cos there's only three copies left!
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2009, 11:58:56 AM »

I'm just wondering how Beryl Marriott is getting along these days? Not wishing to pry of course, but it would be good to hear any news. Smiley

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »

Was hoping to ask Swarb on Friday night, after his 'Swarb & Friends' gig at Kings Place in London- but I only saw Gina LeFaux....

He referred to her as 'ailing' during the gig, but paid handsome praise while introducing Mrs Marriott, his tune in her honour.

Hopefully Swarb or Jill will be along soon to give us an update.

Swarb
the fiddler formerly known as grolsch

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »

Yes, Jill here Chris.

Thanks for asking about Beryl folks.

She's been home for a few weeks now and mending slowly.
The signs are very encouraging that she'll regain a lot more use of her hand and leg again.
I think Dave/Swarb meant "ailing" in that she's rather been through the mill and back the past year or two healthwise, but I consider her actually pretty fantastic considering everything actually!
Beryl has tremendous willpower and determination... as you might have gathered over the years.
Her speech was never luckily, affected by the stroke and through sheer hard work and courage she is starting to reap the results of lots of physiotherapy on her left arm/hand and left leg.
She gets a bit tired in the afternoon but then, she's still repairing and allowed a snooze at 80 years old I reckon. Wink

I've just spoken to her and she sends you all on Talkawhile her love and thanks.

Jill
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »

Thanks Jill.....sorry not to have had a longer chat on Friday.

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2009, 07:05:08 PM »

Thanks Jill Smiley I meant to ask when you were at Farnsfield Embarrassed

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »

Excellent to hear good news!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Viv G

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »

Really good to hear she is doing well Smiley
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2009, 12:24:16 PM »

I recall seeing Swarb do a gig with Beryl at Cecil Sharp House back in the late 70's or early 80's... It was - of course - a great gig with Beryl's wonderfully powerful piano leading from the front... The truly great thing was seeing Swarb so very well behaved (isn't 'e always?? - ed). The odd whisky and the odd snout may have passed the lips... but it was defintely Beryl in control, like a kindly music teacher with a bashful student... Get well soon Beryl!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
arie

« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2009, 10:25:32 AM »

I saw Beryl and her man Roger play with the Fairport Ceilidh Band on 16 aug 1987, the day after the Festival, at the Spiceball Centre in Banbury. Thanks for helping me remember!
In honour of Beryl and FC I'll add some pictures I took that night

[attachment deleted by admin]
arie

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2009, 10:46:12 AM »

This pic includes Roger and Peggy.

This thread made me think and now I remember I also saw Beryl and prob Roger play with Swarbrick at the Cambridge Folk Festival in 1980.
At least, I think so, no pics to confirm it. Somebody out there as old as me  Wink Embarrassed who can confirm?
There are some tracks of this performance on "It Suits Me Well", but no info on who the "& Friends" are
http://www.informatik.uni-hamburg.de/~zierke/swarb/records/itsuitsmewell.html

[attachment deleted by admin]
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2009, 10:50:52 AM »

Nice photos!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: