TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:17:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unexpected Pleasures  (Read 5161 times)
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« on: November 06, 2008, 08:58:11 PM »

So there I was, half asleep on a train early this morning with my Ipod playing on random. It has about 20,000 tracks to choose from so I often get to hear things that I haven't listened to for a long time or would not necessarily have chosen myself. Suddenly I am snapped into consciousness by the music in my ears. It is "Light Of Day", a track that has barely registered on my radar previously from the XXXV, an album that I don't particularly rate and rarely play. But I found myself thinking "what a great track"!

So it set me wondering, are there any Fairport or related tracks that have snuck up on the rest of you and found their way into your affections after years of neglect?
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 09:01:50 PM »

Oh, that's a fantastic song, and I really hope it comes back into the repetoire soon.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »

I'm not sure if they played it on the spring tour in 2001 but the first time I heard it was at Cropredy 2001.  One of my favourite Leslie compositions.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 09:08:47 PM »

I think they last played it in 02, as it wasn't on the 03 DVD.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
KascadeDan
A teenager at last
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: New Romney, Kent

I can't read the lines, let alone in-between!

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 09:43:53 PM »

It's probably my third favourite Chris Track, after John Gaudie and The Fossil Hunter.

Imponderable Joy
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 01:09:03 AM »

Agree that Light of Day is good - Chris' place of greatness in the Fairport canon is assured with John Gaudie, My Love is in America, followed closely by I'm Already There
Dr Clive

Loc: Chiswell Green, St Albans

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 11:02:31 AM »

"Men" (Loudon Wainwright III) on ONBB - we'd been listening to Woodworm Swing (which we were in the process of learning) and the CD ran on to Track 2, which I don't remember ever having heard before! Men is now part of our repertoir, too.

DC
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 11:30:06 AM »

The recent posts about AT2/The Boot prompted me to dig out my copy - and I'd forgotten the excellent version of Bring 'Em Down from '82. If FC are going to continue re-recording items from the repertoire, may I respectfully suggest this song... Simon on lead vocal, Ric & his bank of FX to feature in the break/solo.

Slightly off topic - just received the Albion Morris CD (Still Dancing After All These Years) from Talking Elephant - a bargain to TE Newsletter subscribers at just £4.79 (inc p&p), and a semi-expected pleasure.

Flobbadob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: