TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:22:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Whippersnapper 2009  (Read 27677 times)
Greg

Loc: Faversham...for now...

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »

Looks amazing!  I am highly envious... Smiley

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

Loc: Coal Aston, Dronfield - Nr. Sheffield

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2009, 02:54:17 PM »

Here are some photos from Coal Aston before the show and whilst setting up - I'll do them one at a time

[attachment deleted by admin]

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2009, 02:57:28 PM »

Looks amazing!  I am highly envious... Smiley

Watching Swarb and Chris play together was amazing Grin

At times they seemed to be having some much fun that they were grinning at each other like schoolboys planning mischief  Roll Eyes

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2009, 02:58:57 PM »

Setting up

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2009, 03:01:16 PM »

The show begins

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2009, 03:04:12 PM »

Some close ups

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »

Here we see the teacher in full lecture mode !

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2009, 03:10:02 PM »

A few from the side of the stage aand a close up of the fiddle section

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2009, 03:14:24 PM »

Sorry, same picture twice there ................. so here's the right one and my final attempt which gives an idea of the atmosphere that night !

Pete Gray
Totally Scuppered

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2009, 03:58:49 PM »

IT was our great privilege to be able welcome Whippersnapper back to Coal Aston Village Hall after so many years, Chris, Kev and Mart played our old hall as the trio way back in - we thought after some discussion - 1992. But for me the excitement was in being able to introduce the full band again with the memories of 1985 when we first met them at The Cartwheel Folk Club, The Norfolk Arms, Rivelin. On that occasion we had received a phone call from Swarb asking us to put them on as part of a Folk Club Tour, the fee I seem to think was maybe £200 which back then was serious dosh.
I shall never forget the atmosphere of that night, they played acoustically, the performance was stunning - their album Promises was brand new, my signed copy is still treasured and it remains a favourite play on many, many occasions.
WPS subsequently visited our club 4 or 5 times and whenever we meet Chris and Kev there's always talkawhile of the fun evenings back then.

So to Friday 5th June at Coal Aston Village Hall.

I'm not going to attempt a set list review, couldn't possibly remember it all but of course many of the songs and tunes from Promises, Tsubo, Fortunes were featured through the course of their 2 sets. The first few numbers in set 1 were perhaps a wee bit shaky as the guys settled in, this was of course the first gig on their short tour and I understand rehearsal opportunity had been brief to put it mildly, but as the evening progressed we realised that we were witnessing something very special indeed. By set 2 they were on fire and the standard of performance was simply superb
Swarb treated us with his vocals on The Hard Times of Old England and later the classic Farewell My Lovely Nancy. His introductions and asides were terrifically well put and very, very funny, Seven Keys was briliiantly explained and stunningly performed as the end of set 1.
He is in incredibly good shape, his humour is as sharp as ever, I really enjoyed meeting him up close for really the first time in over 25 years.

The atmosphere in the packed hall was electric as they stunned us with one masterpiece after another, 4 masters of their craft playing together for the first time in over a year .. fantastic. Martin's Downtown Rodeo was fun with their classic "it faded on the record" ending, I loved John Gaudie and I Wandered By A Brookside - added to by Chris' suggestion that the atmosphere of Oxfordshire could be enhanced by purchasing their brand new Whipersnapper Live CD.  
Kevin's Pride of Kildare, The Maid From Coolmore were sublime but for me, and I suspect many others of us, the last song of the night One Way Donkey Ride was where the emotion really kicked in - for me it's a blend of sadness, reminiscense, and ..... well I can't really describe the intensity of the feeling.
I've mentioned the songs but of course the instrumentals were just fantastic, Swarb and Chris together on the fiddle cannot, in my opinion, be bettered and with Mart and Kev providing the drive Whippersnapper are still the top band in this genre (bar none !) OK it's only an opinion.

A terrific night on which were pleased to be welcoming many newcomers to our events, hopefully they went away with good thoughts of what we do at Coal Aston and will come back for more !

Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »

Absolutely superb revue Pete, and yes the gig was ****ing brilliant, no apologies necessary! I echo your comments about "One Way Donkey Ride", that song is blooming marvellous.

Great to meet some of your family, I do hope I was marginally coherent. I see our lot are immortalised in one of the shots - thanks for getting my bald spot in, must remember to use makeup next time.  

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2009, 08:38:45 AM »

great review Pete,  I'm really looking forward to this evenings gig in Bognor Regis
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »

Ace. Though I have to say (if you're reading) the Adastra website is really annoying ... maybe it just wasn't working for me. If anyone from that illustrious organisation is reading: my main problem was that if you start off with the question, "What gigs are there in the North-East in the next few months?"* you have to look at all the individual band profiles to find out. Maybe a calendar function or newsletter would be useful.

Cheers

Smiths  
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2009, 10:58:59 AM »

Edthefolkie.. I didn't know you were there... did you see us??

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »

Just saw you guys when you were going to your seats I think. Sorry about not saying how do - wasn't rudeness, it just got a bit hectic afterwards, don't know how we missed you.  Sad

Paul and I nipped to the pub at half time (it's his local). Dave and Sheila were elsewhere for once.

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2009, 12:00:46 PM »

Haha.. I don't know how we missed you!

Not far to get to that pub is it!!

Grin

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Hurricane (Dan)
Do you think it might be worth 'owt?

Loc: Manchester

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2009, 02:21:48 PM »

Interesting twist at the Liverpool gig last night; the crowd was introduced to the band - there were only 23 of us!

Great set though

My wife and kids are leaving me because of my obsession with horse racing. They're at the gate now. And they're off!
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »

Interesting twist at the Liverpool gig last night; the crowd was introduced to the band - there were only 23 of us!

Great set though

That's shocking!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2009, 03:19:04 PM »

Wasn't Liverpool the European city of culture in recent times ? Nuff said !

Hopefully the good burghers of Bognor Regis will turn out in their hundreds this evening. There will be four of us travelling over from Southampton to help swell the numbers.

It is alledged that King George V final utterance was, Burgher Bognor, or words to that effect  Grin
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2009, 03:51:48 PM »

Great set though

23!!  Oh dear.. bet the agent isn't happy!

Was that due to poor advertising I wonder??

Mind you we once went to a Whippersnapper gig in Mansfield.. (the cultural arse end of Notts) and there were only 12 of us.. and our party made up a third!!  That WAS very poor advertising.

The Coal Aston gig on the other hand was well packed out  Grin

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: