TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:53:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 726543 times)
Roland
n3wb

Loc: Northern Germany

I am moving through the fair

« Reply #980 on: January 26, 2017, 10:58:04 PM »

A very warm welcome to you, new friend.  I understand from our Meeter and Greeter, the lovely Jude, that you are a person of good taste, impeccable manners and an interest in some or all things Talkawhilish.  Excellent news!  Hoorah, hoorah.

My name is Sir Robert Peel.  I am a Global Moderator of this fine debating chamber and talking shop.  I am also an elder statesman of some influence, commanding considerable respect in those who don’t know me very well.  

Put your favourite CD on the gramophone player, kick off your shoes and make yourself comfortable.  
(Not that comfortable!  Shocked  Please cover yourself up by putting on the dressing gown and slippers provided.  Embarrassed)

Now - can I trouble you to answer a few questions, when you have the inclination, time and patience.  You can answer some, all or none of them, but we look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks awfully.   Fez

Sir Robert Peel
220 years

1.   Who are you and where are you from?

Hello,Sir Robert Peel (or Moin!, as we say in this small german landscape), it's kind of you to ask and I am glad to find you here, even if I imagined Sir Patrick Spens in here.
I am Roland from lower saxony, eastern friesland, southern northsea, germany.

2.   What made you join Talkawhile?

While swimming in the wide open ocean of the internet (someone suggest: 'enternet'! pirates included ?) and found this tiny island, hearing the local sirens singing the songs I like and can't ignore! So - came on land, wondering who to find here.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything?

My favourite sirens name is Maddy and first heared her singing back in '76 (aged thirteen myself). So it was the Steeleye area I stranded here. But it's a short path to Fairport and so perhaps a year later I had 'Full house'. Actually there are several of Fairport's Cropredy gigs in my LP/CD collection.
A funny thing: Just a week ago I dreamed of being in a pub with a small stage somewhere in this world. Simon Nicoll came in, trying to pull a huge suitcase up on the stage. I helped and we talked awhile. And he wondered when I told him being only two times on a short trip to London and once traveling on the M1 for a holyday to Ireland. Never been to Cropredy, never been to a Fairport gig...
If you ask me about five things or so, I want to do in my life, my answer will contain a trip to Cropredy a fine weekend in August!

4.   What kind of music do you like?

Steeleye first!
then in no particular order: Jethro Tull; Big BigTrain; Fairport; Marillion; Rush.
British Christmas carols!
The guitar playing of Richard Thompson.
The voices of Maddy Prior; Kate Rusby; Sandy Denny; Mary Fahl; Emilia Derkowska (ex 'Quidam' from Poland) ; Jewel. Also the voice of Phillippa Mercer from the young band 'Tir Eolas' is great!

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like?
Last years april, one of the very rare concerts 'Morphelia' -the only local prog band with international appeal – played at a nearby location.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it?
Just at this moment I am holding 'Dream Theater's' 'a dramatic turn of events' in my hands, that came in with the postman this afternoon. I have not heared it yet and it is not the music I am here for! (but the question is: Will he get the jet?)

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer, Maddy Prior (name of singer) and I will
            sing:  ' Somewhere along the road'   (name of song)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #981 on: January 27, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »

Welcome Roland

Make yourself at home and I'm sure you'll meet some other Maddy fans here  Smiley

Dream Theater eh? Splendid!  Grin

Jude Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #982 on: January 27, 2017, 04:13:39 PM »

Hi Roland.  Cool
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #983 on: January 27, 2017, 05:10:16 PM »

Welcome Roland

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
sirspens (John)

« Reply #984 on: February 02, 2017, 09:24:05 AM »

Hello to the Fairporting Community. I am pretty sure that I was once long ago a member here, but I have been long absent...........

I am John, not the most exciting of forenames but much known in the folk idiom ( Barleycorn etc etc). Sadly,age creeps upon me and I approach my 63rd birthday. I hail from two places as I recently bought a house in Derbyshire, something of a hotbed for all things Fairport etc thanks to Free Reed. For the past 10 years I've been in the folk wasteland of SouthWest France-- I hope to sell up there and make the move back permanent

I joined here as I have known of it for yonks and as stated earlier I'm pretty sure I used to be here

I am a long time Fairporter, I'd say from Si Tu Dois Partir-- I came to them via my first love, His Bobness. I have every Fairport album except 50:50, the earliest on vinyl, many duplicated on CD, even a few on cassette (including AT2).I'm a bit of a collector of "rarities" too, if you know what I mean, being so trained in my pursuit of all stuff Dylan. In the past I used to travel a lot to see the Wintour, starting in the early 80s to see Simon,Peggy,Swarb and Bruce Rowland at such illustrious venues as Cleethorpes Winter Gardens-- best ever IMHO was at Manchester International 2 around mid-90s, an all standing student full VERY heavy, VERY loud gig with a standout "Wounded Whale" . This may be a bit unpopular,especially in an intro, but I came to enjoy them less and less as the influence of CL increased, I generally find his input "twee" and saccharine, and I'll also confess here and now that having previewed 50;50 I shall not be buying it-- the last 5 "official" albums have barely merited more than a single play then consignment to the CD rack, but I bought them out of "duty" as a fan of half a century, to support the band

I have pretty catholic music tastes. Dylan is up at the top, but I like everything from Tull to Tosca,Maart to Mozart, Donahue to the Doors

France has been a bit of a cultural wasteland re gigs-- few non-Francophone acts make it to rural France.But I got to see Peter Knight's Gigspanner in a soul-less salle des fetes in Rochechouart just a few years back and I trekked to Poupet to see, bizarrely, Dylan in an outdoor 3000 seat amphitheatre in 2015 which was pretty darn cool

My last CD purchase was Swarb's "Raison d'etre" of which I tracked down a copy after his untimely passing, and yes I'd recommend it if only for the significance of it being his last real work

Why am I here if I'm less enamoured of FC for the past decade or two? Well, it's that fan thing, you just HAVE to, even if you think you'll be disappointed. I positively GROANED when I saw the setlist of the first post on the 50:50 Tour thread thinking that I may be in for another let down on the 28th at the Winding Wheel-- but hope burns deep in my heart that,after a 10 year absence from a FC gig, they will once again blow me away. And if not, so be it, at least I was there at 50................

Finally, " “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer Bob Dylan (I WISH!) and I will 
            sing Visions of Johanna (for 18 minutes)"

Nice to see you all...........................;;
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #985 on: February 02, 2017, 09:29:13 AM »

Hello John and welcome...

I see you are 'anonymous'  Smiley If you'd like to not be ananymous please read this section and find the bit about being unanonymoused

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=20878.0

Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #986 on: February 02, 2017, 11:41:03 AM »

Welcome sirspens (John)!  Cheesy Have a drink on us

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #987 on: February 02, 2017, 01:00:06 PM »

Hi John. Cool
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #988 on: February 02, 2017, 02:07:43 PM »

Hello John. Welcome (back!)

Katejenkins
n3wb

« Reply #989 on: July 15, 2017, 10:49:54 PM »

Hello! I grew up in cropredy and was at the first ever "do"! Now my best friend has got addicted but due to her being very lazy (and having small twins) she's missed out on tickets so I've joined up to try to find her one. Hope to see you all - we'll be half way down the right hand side - usually near the doughnuts! (What will we ever do if the food stalls move around much?)
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #990 on: July 17, 2017, 02:05:22 PM »

Welcome back John, from a fellow expat, living not to far away from your old stomping ground. Have to agree partly about Folk Music being none too popular, but it is there if you scratch the surface a bit. For sure though, it is not as readily accessible as it is in UK.

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #991 on: July 17, 2017, 03:53:20 PM »

Hi John.  Cool
Janni
n3wb

« Reply #992 on: August 02, 2017, 08:41:27 PM »

Hallo Sir Robert (and anyone else looking in),

My name's Jan and I hail from Liverpool, though I spent a sizeable chunk of the last 20 years in London.

I decided to join the forum because we're off to Cropredy next week ('yaaay!!) and I thought it would be rather nice to feel a bit more involved, also perhaps pick up one or two camping-related tips too!

I was introduced to Fairport's music by my husband, Andrew.  Despite having slightly 'poppier' or 'indie' tastes (he despairs of me, he really does!) I really took to it and LOVED our first two visits to Cropredy, quite a few years ago now. Easily my favourite song is: Over the Next Hill, closely followed by Matty Groves.

I find the older I get, the more my folk appreciation quotient increases and I also seem to be much more into music from slightly before my time. (I'm extremely age-sensitive! I was 45 again this year and aim to park right here for as long as I can possibly get away with it  Wink)
I adore Lindisfarne, Mott the Hoople, Gordon Lightfoot, Jim Croce and (the totally fabulous, IMO) KT Tunstall.  I also like The Unthanks, though they can be a might depressing sometimes.

My last gig was the aforementioned KT Tunstall at the Picturedrome in Holmfirth.  Favourite artist at my favourite venue and it was really, really great!

My last CD was bought for me and is by Haim.  I saw them on the BBC's Glastonbury coverage and liked them.  It's good and they do some interesting and original songs but it is less rock and more polished than their live performances, which is a shame but having said that, it's still a good listen.
(Oops! No, it wasn't- last CD was actually the Guardians of the Galaxy II soundtrack, which is, indeed, fabulous, though not quite as fabulous as that of G of the G I!!)

And finally:

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be (not) my all time favourite (but really liked)singer, Roy Wood and I will
            sing (my all time favourite song):  ' Any Old Time Will Do '.

I hope the above suffices and you haven't nodded off...

All the very best,

Jan x

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #993 on: August 02, 2017, 08:45:09 PM »

Hi Jan!

See you at the bar at Cropredy  Cheesy

Janni
n3wb

« Reply #994 on: August 02, 2017, 08:55:01 PM »

Hi Jan!

Hello Bridget!

Will keep a look out for you!  
Can't wait  Cheesy

Jx

Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #995 on: August 02, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »

Hi Jan!

Hello Bridget!

Will keep a look out for you!  
Can't wait  Cheesy

Jx

Nor me. I'm getting very excited....  Roll Eyes and we're not allowed to mention the w*****r yet  Lips Sealed

Janni
n3wb

« Reply #996 on: August 02, 2017, 09:36:35 PM »

Ha!
That's a relief actually - it's currently the main topic of conversation with my doom-mongering, tent-phobic husband!  Undecided

madsue
susie-no-shoes

Loc: lanzarote

« Reply #997 on: August 02, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »

Hi Jan, see  you at the bar too.  And Bridgwit, when can we start talking about the w*****r?  I'm arriving in UK on Monday and have no idea what to bring?  It's so hot here I can't believe I will need warm clothes!!!
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #998 on: August 02, 2017, 11:45:07 PM »

Welcome Jan

Janni
n3wb

« Reply #999 on: August 02, 2017, 11:53:52 PM »

Hi Jan, see  you at the bar too.  And Bridgwit, when can we start talking about the w*****r?  I'm arriving in UK on Monday and have no idea what to bring?  It's so hot here I can't believe I will need warm clothes!!!

Hi Madsue, nice to 'meet' you - see you there!  Smiley

Erm, coming over from Lanzarote suffice to say you might need a sweater and something, well, non-porous...

Janx

P.S I trust I've not broken any embargoes here  Undecided Lips Sealed
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 56   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: