TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:07:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 56   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Welcome Mat: Do Come In, New Talkawhile Member  (Read 734292 times)
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #900 on: February 07, 2015, 11:09:00 AM »

Welcome Mike. Cool
Ian D
n3wb

Loc: Market Harborough

« Reply #901 on: February 11, 2015, 12:22:25 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from? I am Ian D, early years spent in Northamptonshire, but the last 40 years spent in south Leicestershire

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? A desire to take a more active part in playing and appreciating acoustic music.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? Rediscovered Fairport Convention through a love of RT's guitar playing. Came to Cropredy Festival by boat in 2013, but not an altogether happy experience, hoping for a better time next time.

4.   What kind of music do you like? Most music, but especially Folk & Roots. Folk Alley play my kind of music.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? The Will Pound Band at the Musician in Leicester, superb performances by a unique line-up ..... highly recommended.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? The Will Pound Band, yes.

7.   Complete the following sentence:
          “Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. I'm like a rabbit in a car's headlights with this one, just too many favourites to pick just one, can I have the "Desert Island Discs" option?

"I don't have picture, but you can have my footprints, they're upstairs in my socks" Groucho
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #902 on: February 11, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »

1.   Who are you and where are you from? I am Ian D, early years spent in Northamptonshire, but the last 40 years spent in south Leicestershire

2.   What made you join Talkawhile? A desire to take a more active part in playing and appreciating acoustic music.

3.   What do you know of Fairport Convention and/or Cropredy if anything? Rediscovered Fairport Convention through a love of RT's guitar playing. Came to Cropredy Festival by boat in 2013, but not an altogether happy experience, hoping for a better time next time.

4.   What kind of music do you like? Most music, but especially Folk & Roots. Folk Alley play my kind of music.

5.   What was the last gig/festival/recital/concert that you attended?  What was it like? The Will Pound Band at the Musician in Leicester, superb performances by a unique line-up ..... highly recommended.

6.   What was the last CD that you bought?  Would you recommend it? The Will Pound Band, yes.

“Tonight, Sir Robert, I am going to be my all time favourite singer ……. I'm like a rabbit in a car's headlights with this one, just too many favourites to pick just one, can I have the "Desert Island Discs" option?

I've sent you an im (message) on this site. look for messages at top of page.
Ian D
n3wb

« Reply #903 on: February 11, 2015, 01:27:49 PM »

Envying you that pie at Foxton.
Bob and I have been known to have impromptu sessions in the garden of Bridge 61, a lovely place to be on a summer's day.

"I don't have picture, but you can have my footprints, they're upstairs in my socks" Groucho
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #904 on: February 11, 2015, 01:28:15 PM »

Hi Ian

Glad you enjoyed the Will Pound Band, they were excellent. I was the promoter for that gig.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #905 on: February 11, 2015, 04:37:24 PM »

Envying you that pie at Foxton.
Bob and I have been known to have impromptu sessions in the garden of Bridge 61, a lovely place to be on a summer's day.

Bridge 61 it was.......and warm enough to be outside with a book!
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #906 on: February 12, 2015, 12:17:53 PM »

Welcome Ian

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #907 on: February 13, 2015, 09:07:48 AM »

Hi IAn.  Cool
Ian D
n3wb

« Reply #908 on: February 14, 2015, 08:36:21 AM »

Hi Ian

Glad you enjoyed the Will Pound Band, they were excellent. I was the promoter for that gig.

You did a fine job there Andy
My lads James, with fiancé Tine, and Jody (Record Live) were there to film and record them.
Thoroughly enjoyed it.

MauriceN

Loc: Kent

« Reply #909 on: May 07, 2015, 12:38:35 PM »

I'm Maurice,ex of the East End of London ,now living in mid Kent.
A love of folk music.
Mostly like music from the 60s and early 70s including folk,psychedelia and soul.
Last cd I bought was the Fairport Companion at a collectors fair in a Rochesterr. Recommended.

I may not know much about art but I know what I like
macademis
a hard anger innovator
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #910 on: May 07, 2015, 01:15:48 PM »

Welcome aboard Maurice.

No such thing as good or bad music, just music you like and music you like less.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #911 on: May 07, 2015, 04:10:45 PM »

Hi Maurice. Cool
MauriceN

« Reply #912 on: May 07, 2015, 10:17:12 PM »

Thanks folks. Good to be here.

MauriceN

« Reply #913 on: May 09, 2015, 03:26:42 PM »

God knows how,but I forgot to mention blues,esp the Chicago sound. Howlin Wolf and Little Walter being my fav artists.

LesHayden
n3wb

« Reply #914 on: June 28, 2015, 08:55:48 PM »

Hello all,

my name's Les Hayden. I'm a musician from the midlands, England. I've been into Fairport since renting Liege and Lief from the uni library back when I was a student a few years ago. I love a lot of different types of music from classical to death metal but folk wise I'd say one of my big pleasures is Celtic folk which I got into when I lived in northern Spain for a few years- might seem like a strange place to get into Celtic music but northern Spain has a lot of Celtic history from back when people traded by boat and a lot of traders settled in some ports. So now there's many a fine bar in the Basque Country where you can have a pint and join in a jam session replete with whistles, bouzoukis, even their own form of the bagpipes... anyway, that aside, I love Nick Drake, John Renbourn, Davey Graham... fingerpickers, basically, as that's what I do myself. I go to a lot of gigs but mostly either to play or support my fellow unknowns...  I think the last real big concert I went to was Kate Bush, which I enjoyed, but couldn't help but feel a bit wounded at despite having paid almost £60 a ticket we were 6 rows from the back of the balcony and couldn't see past the tall bloke in the seat in front of me... I'm fairly sure there were some other questions I didn't answer but I've bragged enough so will leave it there.
By the by, if anyone would like to take a listen to my music please do, it can be found here:

https://leshayden.bandcamp.com/
MauriceN

« Reply #915 on: June 28, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »

Welcome Les.   Smiley

Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #916 on: June 30, 2015, 09:08:18 AM »

Hi Les.  Cool
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #917 on: July 01, 2015, 01:07:41 PM »

Welcome

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Dave.P
stay away from hammers
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Isle of Wight

Dave from USA (Uther Side of Andover)

« Reply #918 on: July 18, 2015, 04:54:34 AM »

Hello Maurice and Les
Welcome to the bar
there is another bar in a greenfield in Oxfordshire 
Would love to meet you there  Fez Tiara
MauriceN